Cumbres & Toltec railroad, Colorado and New Mexico

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AV8R

Cumbres & Toltec railroad, Colorado and New Mexico

Post by AV8R »

Saturday before last, GG and I traveled with another (non-packing) couple to Alamosa and overnighted. Sunday morning we rode the C&T railroad's chartered bus from Antonito to Chama and made the return trip via the narrow-gauge steam train. The air was chilly, but we rode most of the trip in an open car, getting great views of the turning aspen and occasional local wildlife, not to mention a great lunch at the halfway stop. The railway crossed the CO-NM border I believe eleven times on the trip.

No problems with CCWs anywhere we went, saw no signs anywhere, got the feeling that CCW was pretty much a non-issue up there. Overall, a great trip that we would highly recommend.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

Trip like that is where R. is really important. How about 4 Corners. That would really require a look at the map.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

longtooth wrote:Trip like that is where R. is really important. How about 4 Corners. That would really require a look at the map.
And it's on tribal land, which further changes the picture.

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

The railroad is a private right of way and owned jointly by the states of CO and NM. The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad has owned the right of way since 1880. They describe themselves as a living museum, not a common carrier.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

KBCraig wrote:
longtooth wrote:Trip like that is where R. is really important. How about 4 Corners. That would really require a look at the map.
And it's on tribal land, which further changes the picture.

Does each tribe have their own laws on CHL? I guess that would make places such as the Indian Nation turnpike and other popular areas in Oklahoma a nightmare! I never really thought about tribal land.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

The highway between Chama and Antonito is one of my favorite motorcycle rides. I can't count the number of elk I've seen along that route.

I've never ridden the train though.

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

Warhawk wrote:The highway between Chama and Antonito is one of my favorite motorcycle rides. I've never ridden the train though.
it's not bad, you just have to be sure to keep your feet in the stirrups! :mrgreen:
:lol::
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

Thane

Post by Thane »

I've been meaning to take a trip on that train for years now. My grandparents own land in the Sangres on the Colorado side, and the landscape is just stunning up there. That whole area is one of my all-time favorite places.

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

Thane wrote:I've been meaning to take a trip on that train for years now. My grandparents own land in the Sangres on the Colorado side, and the landscape is just stunning up there. That whole area is one of my all-time favorite places.
I spent a lot of time jeeping up there when I was young. One of my favorite places, as well. The trip was all I'd hoped it would be. We rode in the open gondola car instead of inside, and it was worth putting up with the cold to have the view. Just don't wait too long, as things have a way of changing.

Return to “Other States”