Luzerne County Pennsylvania - 1 in 9 Conceal Carry

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Luzerne County Pennsylvania - 1 in 9 Conceal Carry

Post by WildBill »

Records show 26,343 people in Luzerne County have a permit to carry a concealed gun.
That's one in nine people in the county over the age of 21.
That's a lot of guns out there! Not very good odds for a BG. :patriot:

http://standardspeaker.com/news/1-of-9- ... -1.1114727#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Luzerne County Pennsylvania - 1 in 9 Conceal Carry

Post by baldeagle »

This part of the article caught my eye. (I'm not quoting - paraphrasing.)

If you have no criminal record and no history of mental problems, you fill out an application, pay the $31 fee, wait for the sheriff's department to conduct an instant background check and walk out of the sheriff's department with your license. The whole process can be completed in 15 minutes.

You don't suppose the ease and the low price have something to do with the high number of license carriers, do you? :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

baldeagle wrote:This part of the article caught my eye. (I'm not quoting - paraphrasing.)

If you have no criminal record and no history of mental problems, you fill out an application, pay the $31 fee, wait for the sheriff's department to conduct an instant background check and walk out of the sheriff's department with your license. The whole process can be completed in 15 minutes.

You don't suppose the ease and the low price have something to do with the high number of license carriers, do you? :biggrinjester:
I have known that Pennsylvania had a quick and inexpensive licensing process. I believe that their license is paper [not laminated] and has no picture on it.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
baldeagle wrote:This part of the article caught my eye. (I'm not quoting - paraphrasing.)

I have known that Pennsylvania had a quick and inexpensive licensing process. I believe that their license is paper [not laminated] and has no picture on it.
Neither my Bro's Tennessee CC license and nor my BIL's Alabama license have photo's on 'em and their permit/licenses sure didn't cost anywhere near what my Texas CHL did either. The Texas CHL should have a picture of a cow, a green ca$h cow, on the back. :grumble

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:Neither my Bro's Tennessee CC license and nor my BIL's Alabama license have photo's on 'em and their permit/licenses sure didn't cost anywhere near what my Texas CHL did either. The Texas CHL should have a picture of a cow, a green ca$h cow, on the back. :grumble
I hear that Tennessee and Alabama are nice this time of year. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Neither my Bro's Tennessee CC license and nor my BIL's Alabama license have photo's on 'em and their permit/licenses sure didn't cost anywhere near what my Texas CHL did either. The Texas CHL should have a picture of a cow, a green ca$h cow, on the back. :grumble
I hear that Tennessee and Alabama are nice this time of year. ;-)
:mrgreen: Nice poke. :thumbs2:

As a matter of fact, it appears, fuel cost notwithstanding, that we will be going over to B'ham for Spring Break at mid-month to visit the grandkids. :roll:

Barbi Q

Post by Barbi Q »

I hear the Utah license is plastic and has a picture and is half the price of the Texas cash cow.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Barbi Q wrote:I hear the Utah license is plastic and has a picture and is half the price of the Texas cash cow.
You would be right.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I lived in PA and had a CHL there before I moved to Texas.

The fee's vary for each county, as it is up to the Sheriff of that county to issue the licenses. The only exception is Philadelpiha, in which it's the police chief's responsibility.

It cost me $22 for mine, and that was for a 4 year license I belive. This was in Venango County, PA. The process at the time (2002) was to go to the Sheriff's office, fill out an application. They then took your picture on the spot and collected the $22. Then you wait to speak with the Chief Deputy who interviews you and asks basic questions such as why do you want this, etc. Your application then gets assigned to a deputy who goes out and interviews people where you work and your neighbors. After that and a FBI background, your license gets issued.

The process may be different now, but again, it's not standardized, it's up to each Sheriff what to charge and how to do the background checks.

I was floored when I found out how much it cost down here in Texas and what all you had to go through to get it. It cost me $22. There was no class of any kind and no trip to a gun range to qualify.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

There were some posts here a while back that said that you could mail a copy of your Texas CHL and a copy of the your Texas DL to the Centre county sheriff along with a short application and $25 and you would get a non-resident CCW in the mail. I toyed with it because it would fix my W. VA problem where we have relatives. I may do that yet.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

chasfm11 wrote:There were some posts here a while back that said that you could mail a copy of your Texas CHL and a copy of the your Texas DL to the Centre county sheriff along with a short application and $25 and you would get a non-resident CCW in the mail. I toyed with it because it would fix my W. VA problem where we have relatives. I may do that yet.
Well, you sure can. I just checked. Here is the link http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

terryg

Post by terryg »

chasfm11 wrote:There were some posts here a while back that said that you could mail a copy of your Texas CHL and a copy of the your Texas DL to the Centre county sheriff along with a short application and $25 and you would get a non-resident CCW in the mail. I toyed with it because it would fix my W. VA problem where we have relatives. I may do that yet.
magillapd wrote:Well, you sure can. I just checked. Here is the link http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp
OMG - that's awesome!!!! I also have a WV problem. My MIL lives in PA which, when driving, is surrounded by the following wall of non-tx-chl-reciprocal states:
(Which I guess I could look at as a blessing!!) :evil2:

But, add a non-resident PA licence to the mix and suddenly it looks like this:
:hurry: :thumbs2: :hurry:
... this space intentionally left blank ...

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I'm pretty sure that getting a Utah non-resident would also fix both W VA and Ohio, at least for now.

It puzzles me why W VA doesn't recognize the TX CHL. W.VA definitely has some bizarre rules regarding having a gun in a vehicle.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

magillapd wrote:I lived in PA and had a CHL there before I moved to Texas.

The fee's vary for each county, as it is up to the Sheriff of that county to issue the licenses. The only exception is Philadelpiha, in which it's the police chief's responsibility.

It cost me $22 for mine, and that was for a 4 year license I belive. This was in Venango County, PA. The process at the time (2002) was to go to the Sheriff's office, fill out an application. They then took your picture on the spot and collected the $22. Then you wait to speak with the Chief Deputy who interviews you and asks basic questions such as why do you want this, etc. Your application then gets assigned to a deputy who goes out and interviews people where you work and your neighbors. After that and a FBI background, your license gets issued.

The process may be different now, but again, it's not standardized, it's up to each Sheriff what to charge and how to do the background checks.

I was floored when I found out how much it cost down here in Texas and what all you had to go through to get it. It cost me $22. There was no class of any kind and no trip to a gun range to qualify.
It actually IS standardized now and the new cards will have a picture. It is against state law for Sheriffs to charge different amounts, but has happened in the past. Also the license is a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), not a "concealed carry" license. I got a LTCF from Centre County five years ago and renewed it recently, all through the mail, but this is now changing and you will be required to apply in person in the future. I'll probably do it, just becasue I can.
Last edited by ScottDLS on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

My first carry license was in Pa back in 1967. If I recall correctly it took less than a week through the county sheriff. No pics, just a card with hand written information on it. Was only good for one year. I don't recall the cost. We sure have come a long way. ;) Think I still have that card around somewhere
N5PNZ

Return to “Other States”