Reciprocity Map

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AggieMM
Posts in topic: 44

Re: Reciprocity Map

Post by AggieMM »

If you go back the the first post, it was created in 2008, but has continually been updated since then (see update history). The last update was Aug 2015.

But to answer your question, yes, the SE is good with Texas LTC.

Ryan

saltydog452
Posts in topic: 2

Post by saltydog452 »

OOps, my bad. There is a big difference between looking and seeing.

Thanks for your efforts in keeping the map current.

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Added NV Reciprocity. Thanks again to all that help me keep the map current!

Ryan

Attachments
Texas_Reciprocity_Map_NonRes_v24.jpg

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

Shouldn't NV also be 21 minimum age?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Dreamer42
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dreamer42 »

I have been waiting for my Ariz. plastic to arrive for months. We leave tomorrow, July 3 for Las Vegas. Imagine my shock to see a green Navada that goes into effect today. Like they say, timing is everything. Drinks are on me! Wait. Think Arizona will reimburse my fee?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks again Ryan. This map is a great resource and I show it to every LTC class I teach.

Chas.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Didn't IL recently accept TX' CHL or am I thinking of something else IL did?

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Texas accepted IL CCW w/o reciprocity. IL will only recognize states whose laws are substantially similar to IL (currently only 2 or 3). However, under the IL CCW law, any person licensed in their home state can concealed carry in their vehicle (no more disassemble and lock in the trunk transport).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

oohrah wrote:Shouldn't NV also be 21 minimum age?
You are correct, I forgot to add that in. I will make the update tomorrow. Thanks.

Ryan

Keith B
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Keith B »

oohrah wrote:Texas accepted IL CCW w/o reciprocity. IL will only recognize states whose laws are substantially similar to IL (currently only 2 or 3). However, under the IL CCW law, any person licensed in their home state can concealed carry in their vehicle (no more disassemble and lock in the trunk transport).
I don't believe there are any that Illinois is accepting. They have some pretty tough certification requirements like 16 hours of training by a Illinois State Police certified instructor. If there are any, they are at least not listed on www.handgunlaw.us. The vehicle carry piece is good though, at least it's progress toward some form of reciprocity and acknowledgement.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Sorry, Keith, I was incomplete. I didn't mean reciprocity. IL has a non-resident license, but only about four states qualify for those residents to apply. They also charge and arm and a leg for it.

Added: There is a current lawsuit in IL, Culp vs. Madigan, a class of non-residents suing the state for their non-resident issue policy. The state is currently stonewalling.
USMC, Retired

Topic author
AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Fixed the error, leaving off 21+ on NV. Added 21+ to NV.

Ryan

Attachments
Texas_Reciprocity_Map_NonRes_v25.jpg

mr1337

Re: Reciprocity Map recent updates?

Post by mr1337 »

saltydog452 wrote:My Bride and I will be driving around much of The SE United States soon. Trip will start here in TEXAS and will U-Turn somewhere near the end of the Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Pkws. We have TEXAS CHL license and I have UTAH as well. If I read it right, the reciprocity map was last updated several years ago. Have there been any changes and 'Gotcha' restrictions since the last (2008?) update.

TX, La, Ms, Al, Ga, NC, Tn, Va, turn and follow coastal roads to Fl, the Keys, back to I 10 and TEXAS.

Thank you.

salty.
All the states you listed recognize TX. The only gotchas I know of in the SE US are FL and SC, where they will only recognize a CCW permit that you are a resident of the state. But you didn't list those, and I'm also assuming that you are a TX resident, so you're in the clear.

If you want a summary of each state's laws, go to http://handgunlaw.us/ and click on the state. It will give you a run-down on their laws, but most of them are pretty similar to Texas. The SE is pretty pro-gun on the whole.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

a.nonimous
Posts in topic: 1

Post by a.nonimous »

why in the world does Texas recognize permits from states that dont recognize ours???????? Id love to see equal reciprocity or nothing from Texas - perhaps that would lead to citizens of the other states (CA,MA etc.....) to lobby for equal reciprocity. we are granting rights that are being denied to Texans. :txflag:

just my 2c worth

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

a.nonimous wrote:why in the world does Texas recognize permits from states that dont recognize ours???????? Id love to see equal reciprocity or nothing from Texas - perhaps that would lead to citizens of the other states (CA,MA etc.....) to lobby for equal reciprocity. we are granting rights that are being denied to Texans. :txflag:

just my 2c worth
ELB provides a concise answer to your question here...

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=86093#p1107554
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Other States”