Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Pending Reciprocity Agreements Posted on DPS Website

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The DPS has posted a notice that reciprocity agreements are forthcoming with Colorado and New Mexico. Based upon the wording, it appears the agreements have been reached and that only the posting on DPS' website has yet to be done. Caveat: See the next paragraph.

A pending agreement with New Mexico is curious, as New Mexico law does not provide for reciprocity. I really don't know how this is going to work, but I suspect that New Mexico has reciprocity legislation ready for their 2005 session. UPDATE: Packing.org's New Mexico section also indicates that reciprocity legislation for New Mexico's 2005 Legislative Session is expected.

If I held a New Mexico CHL, I would not carry in Texas until this is completely ironed out. The notice on DPS's site references a pending reciprocity agreement, not unilateral recognition of New Mexico CHL's. However, many folks are not aware that the Texas Governor "shall" issue a proclamation that other states' CHL's are recognized in Texas, if the Attorney General has determined that a background check sufficient to meet a NICS check is performed before the CHL is issued. (See Tex. Govt. Code Section 411.173(b)). So, it's possible, indeed mandated, that the Governor issue such a proclamation, but smart money would wait to see it posted on the DPS website before carrying on a New Mexico CHL.

Stay tuned folks; this is looking good.

The DPS posting can be seen at: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... rocity.htm

The Texas reciprocity statute can be seen at: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/gv.toc.htm then following the link to Government Code Section 411.173(b)

Regards,
Chas.

Lindy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lindy »

Thanks for the excellent news, Charles, as we spend considerable time in both states. Both allow for carrying handguns in vehicles, under the concept of the vehicle being an extension of one's home, but reciprocity is much to be preferred.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Yep, that IS at least semi-good news When I was at instructor renewal skul in August of 2003, we were told they were "getting close with NM and CO".

Being tired of waitin', I popped the whopping $20 earlier this year for NH license to get interim coverage for CO. Maybe the TX/CO reciprocity deal will be finalized by the time my NH license expires ... :wink:

I know earlier this year, we also got real "close" with Ohio, but the deal got poo-pooed until (and if) the Buckeye bureaucrats do some more tweaking ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

DPS WEBSITE UPDATED RE: NEW MEXICO

The DPS website has been updated regarding the status of New Mexico. As noted in the quote below, Gov. Perry's proclamation was a unilateral recognition of New Mexico CHL's, not a reciprocal agreement. Hopefully, this will prompt the New Mexico Legislature to enact the amendments that will provide for reciprocity, during their 2005 legislative session.

Before folks get upset at the thought of a unilateral proclamation, please note that Gov. Perry was required to do this, per our CHL statute. Please see my above post for more detail.

Here is the language from the DPS site:

"*Note: Texas Governor Rick Perry signed a unilateral proclamation on December 29, 2004 allowing citizens with concealed handgun licenses issued by New Mexico to legally carry concealed handguns in Texas. This is not a reciprocal agreement, therefore, Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses are NOT recognized in New Mexico and Texas citizens with concealed handgun licenses may NOT legally carry concealed handguns in New Mexico. This is the first "unilateral" proclamation issued by Texas.

The DPS site is at: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... rocity.htm

Regards,
Chas.

mec

Post by mec »

the unilateral agreement is no bad thing. Several states recognize texas and other state licenses although texas is not reciprocal with them.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mec wrote:the unilateral agreement is no bad thing. Several states recognize texas and other state licenses although texas is not reciprocal with them.
I agree! We had too many years with little or no action. In fact, Texas' delay in negotiating an agreement with Oklahoma prompted that State to change its CHL law. Prior to Texas' foot-dragging, the Oklahoma statute recognized all other states' CHL's. As a direct result of their CHL's complaining about not being recognized by Texas, their Legislature changed their statute to require reciprocal recognition, in order to recognize another state's CHL.

Chas.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp

According to Colorado's website, Texas CHL is now valid in their state. :D

Site was last update 12/30/04.

Now if NM will just come through for us (and NM residents themselves).

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

That is real good news. Gee wasted 20 bucks on my NH lic. just so I could carry in Colorado when the wife graduates. :shock:

Stacey
TSRA Life Member

BPNovum

New Mexico Problem...

Post by BPNovum »

My understanding about the problem getting the Texas (or many other CHL's) recognized by NM is that NM requires its citizens to be 25 to get a permit. Their problem is what to do about the other states 21-25 yr olds.

However, NM is an open carry state. When I was visiting eastern NM recently on a sales trip, I put my XD on my hip when I crossed the state line and no one batted an eye. Even when I went into some banks to do business there.

One thing to watch out for in NM is they do not allow you to carry in anyplace that is licensed to sell alcohol in any form. This includes grocery stores and convenience stores. They are supposed to post a sign, but many I saw were not conspicuous.

mcgrubbs

Re: New Mexico Problem...

Post by mcgrubbs »

BPNovum wrote:My understanding about the problem getting the Texas (or many other CHL's) recognized by NM is that NM requires its citizens to be 25 to get a permit. Their problem is what to do about the other states 21-25 yr olds.

However, NM is an open carry state. When I was visiting eastern NM recently on a sales trip, I put my XD on my hip when I crossed the state line and no one batted an eye. Even when I went into some banks to do business there.

One thing to watch out for in NM is they do not allow you to carry in anyplace that is licensed to sell alcohol in any form. This includes grocery stores and convenience stores. They are supposed to post a sign, but many I saw were not conspicuous.
You hit the nail on the head, about NM.

We have even seen instructors telling students that convenience stores were OK. No way, Jose.

mushoot

Post by mushoot »

When in new mexico I carry and empty kel tek P32 in one pocket and a loaded mag in the other. This is known as New Mexico carry. My friend in Michigan says they responded favorably to Texas so what is the hold up?They recognize our CHL. From what he said to me their requirements are identical to ours.

tomneal

Update

Post by tomneal »

Iowa CHL is now recognized in Texas

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... rocity.htm
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Return to “Other States”