PA: And now for eine kleine Schadenfreude...

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

PA: And now for eine kleine Schadenfreude...

Post by ELB »

Background:

In January of this year Firearms Owners Against Crime (FOAC), a division of Prince Law Offices, and three individuals filed suit in county court against the city of Harrisburg, PA, because of the city's anti-gun ordinances. The suit argues (as near as I can tell) that the ordinances are illegal under Pennsylvania law, violate the 2A, and constitute deprivation of civil liberties under color of law ( a Section 1983 violation). The city's mayor has been rather defiant about this. They have lost some previous rounds already. The mayor is even trying to crowd-source funding for the city's defense, since apparently he is taking some heat for burning the taxpayers' dollars trying to ignore state preemption. He's collected $2K so far.

The city "removed" (transferred) FOAC and two of the three individuals and their suit to federal court. For some reason the city left the third individual's suit in the county court and failed to respond to the plaintiff's claims.

Now cometh the Schadenfreude:
Since the city did not respond to the third plaintiff's claims still pending in the county court, even after a required 10-day notice, the judge (formally called the Prothonotary (new one on me!)) issued a default judgment in favor of the plaintiff and against the city to the tune of $21,000 plus other fees as determined later.

NOW the city is responding. :smilelol5:

They are trying to get both the county judge and the federal judge to nix the $21K judgment, claiming it was a "typo" that the third plaintiff was left pending in the county court. Oopsie!

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... _harr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.princelaw.com/2015/01/16/pr ... rdinances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.princelaw.com/2015/03/03/de ... itigation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

tms119
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PA: And now for eine kleine Schadenfreude...

Post by tms119 »

I bet someone in city hall spit out their coffee when they open up that bill lol.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I think the concept is called "Due Diligence" and since they didn't practice it, they don't get to go "backsies."
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

I don't know what "eine kleine" translates to in English,
but I do know that "schadenfreude" means "taking great delight in the problems of others."

SNL comedian Darryl Hammond (sp?) was married to a German woman for a while
and complained that German is not the language of love (it sounds too harsh).

IMHO, French or Italian would fit the romantic image for pillow talk.

Some years ago a punk band screamed out their lyrics in German.
A non-German speaker could infer that they were yelling something satanic....
the words they were screaming were actually a recipe for cookies. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:I don't know what "eine kleine" translates to in English,
but I do know that "schadenfreude" means "taking great delight in the problems of others."

SNL comedian Darryl Hammond (sp?) was married to a German woman for a while
and complained that German is not the language of love (it sounds too harsh).

IMHO, French or Italian would fit the romantic image for pillow talk.

Some years ago a punk band screamed out their lyrics in German.
A non-German speaker could infer that they were yelling something satanic....
the words they were screaming were actually a recipe for cookies. :-)

SIA
When I was stationed in Germany I remember a couple Germans talking to each other were confused when one of our guys asked them what they were mad about. They weren't mad, they were speaking normally for them, but it sounded a bit harsh to American ears. :)

"Eine kleine" is "A little." Feeble pun on Eine kleine nachtmusik, literally A little night music, more accurately A little serenade. Hear the antis wail about getting stuck with a bill is music to my ears, hence the Schadenfreude. :)

The mayor of Harrisburg is an anti-2A true-believer, so he's fighting tooth and nail against state pre-emption and the 2A and burning taxpayers dollars by the barrel to do so, even though he keeps losing. The tears of my enemy...

See also "the tears of my enemies..." :thumbs2:
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote:"Eine kleine" is "A little." Feeble pun on Eine kleine nachtmusik, literally A little night music, more accurately A little serenade. Hear the antis wail about getting stuck with a bill is music to my ears, hence the Schadenfreude. :)
Schadenfreude has always been one of my favorite words. I rather admire the Germans for their unabashed, nay, enthusiastic sesquipedalianism.

In any case, every time this mayor screws up his legal case, adorable puppies join in play and cuddle with kittens. I rather don't care if he blows the Harrisburg taxpayers' money. They elected the shmuck. Serves 'em right. Maybe if it upsets them enough, they'll throw the bum out and get someone with a brain.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

A little more: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... solut.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note this is a different lawyer and a different set of lawsuits. Harrisburg not doing real well. It seems their only real hope is that the preemption law that provides for these lawsuits is itself being considered in court for its constitutionality.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Other States”