Texas resident with CHL going to CO and AZ

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texas yankee
Posts in topic: 2

Texas resident with CHL going to CO and AZ

Post by texas yankee »

I have a trip planned that'll take me into AZ and CO - flying into and back home from Albuquerque - I checked handgunlaw.us and I know that my TX CHL license is accepted in CO and AZ , and I'm aware of the state-specific issues in CO and AZ that I need to know about. I believe that I'll be OK with my handgun in any national parks I visit or travel through, but it looks like any Native American lands ("tribal land") can be problematical - and looking at my route, I will be passing through at least a few areas of tribal land - if I understand Handgun Law US correctly, the safe bet is to keep my gun unloaded and locked in the car trunk whenever I am on any tribal land - which kind of defeats the purpose (SD) of having my gun with me.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts \ suggestions !
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

Rex B

Re: Texas resident with CHL going to CO and AZ

Post by Rex B »

I think the Indi]D]D]D Native Americans are somewhat more amiable than in the past ;)

As a practical matter, people drive up and down I35 and I75 into Oklahoma all the time with guns in the glovebox. Once into Oklahoma, you are almost certain to be driving through an indian reservation, and may not even be aware of it. How often do you hear about peacable citizens facing tribal law enforcement over gun possession?

My experience driving through the Southwest is that it's pretty much a non-issue.

YMMV IANAL etc.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JSThane »

So long as you don't stray off the highways and onto tribal roads, you're fine. I have driven through to Colorado and back many times with a loaded weapon on my person.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Rex B wrote:I think the Indi]D]D]D Native Americans are somewhat more amiable than in the past ;)

As a practical matter, people drive up and down I35 and I75 into Oklahoma all the time with guns in the glovebox. Once into Oklahoma, you are almost certain to be driving through an indian reservation, and may not even be aware of it. How often do you hear about peacable citizens facing tribal law enforcement over gun possession?

My experience driving through the Southwest is that it's pretty much a non-issue.

YMMV IANAL etc.
Non-Indians cannot be tried criminally in tribal court. They are subject to the jurisdiction of the State in which the Indian land is located and/or Federal law.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Now of course, being a Yankee, with Texas plates, traveling through Indian country, armed.....now THAT's just asking for trouble! :biggrinjester:
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

IIRC, CO put a 15 round max mag limit in place a year or two ago during one of their freakout periods. So, depending on what you're carrying that might be an issue.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

Not a problem for me on this trip - I'll have a Glock 42 with me.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just got back today from AZ and NM today. Ghostbuster signs are legal signage in AZ. They have to be prominently displayed. I saw no such signs. I also saw nobody OC'ing......and I was specifically looking for that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I just got back today from AZ and NM today. Ghostbuster signs are legal signage in AZ. They have to be prominently displayed. I saw no such signs. I also saw nobody OC'ing......and I was specifically looking for that.
I've read up on the laws and customs of carrying in AZ. CO was no issue as I only have one 15 round magazine.

Yes, in other states give gun-buster signs the force of law. You have to research each state carefully. My 18 year old son and I are going to Tucson next week. I'll carry openly as we pass through NM. We will both carry openly in AZ.

My route does not go through reservations. If it did, my plan would be to not stop. If I had to stop I would leave my pistol in the car. I find it really easy to disarm when carrying openly.

TAM, I'll post a link to pictures. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flynbenny

Post by flynbenny »

C-dub wrote:IIRC, CO put a 15 round max mag limit in place a year or two ago during one of their freakout periods. So, depending on what you're carrying that might be an issue.
The magazines are not prohibited provided you possessed the >15 rd mag before the ban date of June 2013. Also, the law states the burden of proof is on the state to prove you violated the statute, so the way most people up here see it is if the mag is dated (or not dated at all) before 6/2013 you're golden. The civil disobedience and ways people are getting around the ban are legion, I could do a whole topic on that :biggrinjester:

Also, it is worth noting many of the sheriff's here sued (unsuccessfully) to have the law overturned, and a majority of them (rural and suburban mostly) have said they will not enforce it.

IANAL, but if your dates are good and you're from out of state high-caps are fine here with one exception. City and county of Denver does have an assault weapons ban, if you slap a mag over 20 rounds into that gun you have just manufactured an assault weapon, so if you stay in Denver and want your AR to protect your hotel room, you might want to bring along a 20 for it, and leave the 'happy stick' for your Glock in the car.

Also, remember you cannot have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle, that is related to our hunting laws.

Enjoy the scenery, and don't breathe in too deeply driving down Broadway in Englewood... :roll:
Glock 19 Gen4 EDC, Glock 42 (golf gun), AR15 14.5" Midlength (nightstand gun), Browning Buckmark (fun gun)

Return to “Other States”