If stopped in OTHER state, do you tell/show TX CHL?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
MJR
Posts in topic: 1

If stopped in OTHER state, do you tell/show TX CHL?

Post by MJR »

If pulled over in another state do you show/tell officer (like you would in Texas) your CHL?

RoyGBiv

Re: If stopped in OTHER state, do you tell/show TX CHL?

Post by RoyGBiv »

MJR wrote:If pulled over in another state do you show/tell officer (like you would in Texas) your CHL?
Depends on State law. Some States require advising the officer immediately, some do not.

http://www.handgunlaw.us

IMO, I always disclose that I have a license and a weapon, regardless of the State law.
If I were a LEO, would I want that information volunteered? Yes.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

tlt

Post by tlt »

Last edited by tlt on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
MJR wrote:If pulled over in another state do you show/tell officer (like you would in Texas) your CHL?
Depends on State law. Some States require advising the officer immediately, some do not.

IMO, I always disclose that I have a license and a weapon, regardless of the State law.
What if you don't have a weapon? Because 99.999374682% of the time, if I'm not in TX, I'm in CA where I can't carry my gun.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Dave2 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

What if you don't have a weapon? Because 99.999374682% of the time, if I'm not in TX, I'm in CA where I can't carry my gun.
Not wanting to go through 50 states worth of laws....but I'm wanting to say that I remember that there are at least some states which require you to produce your permit even ifyouarentif carrying. I might be remembering incorrectly, or perhaps a law here or there has changed. But that's a good example of why I myself would produce both, anywhere, as I don't want to be worried that I'd get it wrong. No harm I showing both, potential big harm in not.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Never in New Jersey!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Glockster wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Not wanting to go through 50 states worth of laws....but I'm wanting to say that I remember that there are at least some states which require you to produce your permit even ifyouarentif carrying. I might be remembering incorrectly, or perhaps a law here or there has changed. But that's a good example of why I myself would produce both, anywhere, as I don't want to be worried that I'd get it wrong. No harm I showing both, potential big harm in not.
I haven't heard of any states that require you to display a permit if you're not carrying. Some states have the permit as an endorsement on your DL which you have to show if you get stopped while driving. There are also some states where it would be a really bad idea to show your permit...like NJ, MD, CA. I got stopped in NJ once and the cop saw my CHL under my DL when I handed it to him. He asked if I was carrying to which I replied "Of course not!". Anyway I wouldn't offer mine in Texas if I'm not carrying, but I always am in my car.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

As I said, I can't say for sure as it has been awhile since I took a long stroll through the list. Why is sticks in my memory though was related to some crazy ways that states look at their requirements. I remember that there was at least one state where a guy was found to have failed to notify because he handed the LEO his DL with permit but didn't verbally state that he had a weapon...and there was something about it not being immediate when he finally did say that he had a weapon.

But again, perhaps I'm not accurately remembering about what I thought I saw about displaying a permit somewhere even if not carrying. Either way a good reason for why you need to recheck each state you pass through on a regular basis as things change and things are not what you might think in some states.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Each trip, make a 3x5 card for each state you will be in, listing those requirements.
Don't use the same card, as rules, statutes change. Make a new one each time, or at least verify the info on the card if you run out of cards or something.

As you cross the border, get out that state's card and review it, put it in your pocket for quick reference.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Ca, Md, NY, NJ, Ct, or Ma. I would not volunteer anything about guns. Most of us can't legally carry there anyway. If I'm not carrying I'm not bringing it up.
N5PNZ

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

If you are stopped in one of those states with a TX or GA license plate, you WILL be asked gun questions.
You may have the last word.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Glockster wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

It makes no sense to produce your license in a state like CA that doesn't have reciprocity with Texas since you can't legally carry there. Show it in one of the people's Republics and I think you're asking for trouble.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

VMI77 wrote:
Glockster wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

It makes no sense to produce your license in a state like CA that doesn't have reciprocity with Texas since you can't legally carry there. Show it in one of the people's Republics and I think you're asking for trouble.
Unless their inane laws require me to, that is. That place is so screwy that, at least when I worked at a Burger King out there 20 years ago, it was illegal to give someone a free milkshake.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I end up in Boston quite a bit for work.

I did, and ended up pulled from the vehicle while they searched it for guns. So yeah, be careful where you do that.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

I found an app that I down loaded on my phone. Called "YourStateGunLaws.com" Its free but they give you a place to donate if you care. Seems to be pretty up to date and a lot easier to carry around.

Return to “Other States”