Virginia non-resident permit

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
truckster
Posts in topic: 2

Virginia non-resident permit

Post by truckster »

Completely clueless here. My friend, that lives in Plano, went online and took the course for a Virginia carry permit. When he receives his permit is this all he needs to legally carry concealed or open in Texas?

ScottDLS

Re: Virginia non-resident permit

Post by ScottDLS »

Yes, but it's almost as expensive ($100) as Texas ($140) and from what I've seen they take the full 90days to issue a non-res (I'm still waiting for mine). It doesn't get you many more (if any) states than Texas. I would've gone with Arizona. I'm getting a VA just for fun and because I travel there... and I just felt like it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

You will have the problem of being within 1000' of a school. Texas is the only way to go in Texas.

cprems

Post by cprems »

carlson1 wrote:You will have the problem of being within 1000' of a school. Texas is the only way to go in Texas.
Is this the case with all reciprocity States? You CHL is only valid in your State when it comes to school zones?
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

cprems wrote:
carlson1 wrote:You will have the problem of being within 1000' of a school. Texas is the only way to go in Texas.
Is this the case with all reciprocity States? You CHL is only valid in your State when it comes to school zones?
This is what ATF says, but apparently no one has been prosecuted under this particular interpretation.

The SCOTUS threw out the entire federal GFSZA in 1993 for insufficient nexus to interstate commerce. Congress then added some boilerplate and effectively passed the same law. It hasn't made it beyond appellate level yet and I believe the Feds are reluctant to try given that the entire law may get thrown out again. Not high on my list of concerns when I'm traveling out of state...just another of my "Three Felonies a Day".

But I do collect non-res permits. In addition to Texas I have: CT, NH, AZ, and soon VA. I'll get around to FL and PA some time which I've had in the past. I'm looking for UT, NV, MA, and DC (when possible).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
truckster

Post by truckster »

It kind of confuses me as to why our state would allow a resident of its state to only have an out of state ccp without having to buy one for the state they actually live in. It doesn't seem like something our government would take a liking to. Again, I'm completely clueless on the matter.

I would fully understand having a VA or FL or whatever license in conjunction with Texas but to bypass the home state completely and our state being ok with it is kind of baffling. I want to make clear that I don't really have an opinion as to whether it's wrong or right I just think it seems contrary to how things usually work.

Thanks for the replies so far, gents

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

truckster wrote:It kind of confuses me as to why our state would allow a resident of its state to only have an out of state ccp without having to buy one for the state they actually live in. It doesn't seem like something our government would take a liking to. Again, I'm completely clueless on the matter.

A lot of states agree with you and their law says soon as you are a resident you need their in-state license...

What's worse, 14 years ago when I moved from TX I had to return my TX license within a short time period, not trade it it for a non-res TX license. Severe penalty for not doing so (felony if I remember correctly). Another law that was probably not enforced.
You may have the last word.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

cprems wrote:
Careful with wording....
You get the GFSZ exemption in States where you have a license issued by THAT State.
If you are in possession of TX and VA permits, for example, the GFSZ exemption applies in only TX and VA.

This is my opinion. IANAL.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Other States”