AZ Non-Resident Permit Issue Time

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Glockster
Posts in topic: 4

AZ Non-Resident Permit Issue Time

Post by Glockster »

Anyone have some recent permit turnaround time info? I've been waiting a month now and wondering at what point to worry that the snail mail application strayed.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 8

Re: AZ Non-Resident Permit Issue Time

Post by AJSully421 »

I did one a little over a year ago. It took right at 5-6 weeks. You could probably call and make sure your app is being processed.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
Glockster

Post by Glockster »

AJSully421 wrote:I did one a little over a year ago. It took right at 5-6 weeks. You could probably call and make sure your app is being processed.
I think that their package information said 45 days or something like that, but I got my hopes up when I'd seen a post saying that someone had a 15 day turn-around. Guess that I'll wait a bit more and see what happens.
NRA Life Member

stash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stash »

Last month I received mine in two weeks. I was surprised it was that quick.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Topic author
Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Just got off the phone with them and they indicate that they are up to applications received as of 11/22/15, and as I mailed mine on 11/18/15 it's probably just a day or so behind that. Hate sending things like that out, with a cashiers check that hasn't yet been cashed and not otherwise able to even know for sure if it's been received!
NRA Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I renewed mine in November and it came in 2 weeks. My old one expired 12/4 but I already had the new one by then.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Just got it in the mail yesterday, it took 7 weeks exactly from the day I mailed it to the day received.
NRA Life Member

charliee

Post by charliee »

I know this must be a dumb question, but why get an AZ permit if you live in Texas? Is there any benefit to having Texas LTC and another states license, too?

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Richbirdhunter »

What permits do you need to carry in every state that allows CC?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

amtank

Post by amtank »

Considering any "violation" in the eyes of law enforcement will result in at least a short suspension of your Texas LTC then isn't it then prudent to have a backup till things get settled?

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:What permits do you need to carry in every state that allows CC?
Currently impossible as most of the screwed up states are "may issue" and only to residents. Think NY, NJ, CA, MA...

In Texas, having TX, AZ, & UT will give you about as many states as you can get.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

amtank wrote:Considering any "violation" in the eyes of law enforcement will result in at least a short suspension of your Texas LTC then isn't it then prudent to have a backup till things get settled?
If your Texas LTC gets suspended for a crime you commit, would you really be OK carrying under another state's license?

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

charliee wrote:I know this must be a dumb question, but why get an AZ permit if you live in Texas? Is there any benefit to having Texas LTC and another states license, too?
There are a few good reasons.

Say you have to use your weapon, even if you are not arrested, the police will take your weapon, and also take your LTC as evidence. You will not get it back for several weeks after you are no billed by a grand jury, or acquitted after a trial, or not at all if convicted. What's your plan for protecting you and your family in public during that time when the guy who tried to murder / rob you has family and friends who are furious at you for killing / injuring their homie and are characteristically pretty low on the law abiding scale themselves? Remember, you cannot carry just because some computer says you have a CHL, you have to be able to carry the license on your person and display the license to an officer to get the legal exception.

Next, say you receive your CHL renewal stuff, but then a parent dies, your house floods, the dog bites, the bee stings, and you get busy and find yourself without a current Texas LTC. You cannot carry on an expired LTC, so what's your plan?

Getting additional licenses from other states can add additional states to your personal reciprocity map. Arizona adds Nevada, and Utah adds Washington as an example.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Smokey wrote:
amtank wrote:Considering any "violation" in the eyes of law enforcement will result in at least a short suspension of your Texas LTC then isn't it then prudent to have a backup till things get settled?
If your Texas LTC gets suspended for a crime you commit, would you really be OK carrying under another state's license?

Until that state suspends or revokes their license, or it expires because you are no longer legally eligible to renew in that state... yes.

Obviously, a felony conviction will bump you, no matter what cards you have in your wallet. A class B will nail you in Texas, but Florida and AZ will not revoke your license for a misdemeanor unless it was violent, drug related, or domestic violence conviction.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Richbirdhunter »

AJSully421 wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:What permits do you need to carry in every state that allows CC?
Currently impossible as most of the screwed up states are "may issue" and only to residents. Think NY, NJ, CA, MA...

In Texas, having TX, AZ, & UT will give you about as many states as you can get.
With my Texas and Utah already in hand maybe I should get my Arizona so I can be a triple threat
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Return to “Other States”