Mississippi to become Permitless carry state?!

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 1

Mississippi to become Permitless carry state?!

Post by Doug.38PR »

http://www.gunowners.org/statems02242016.htm

Great news! Its passed the house, not it moves to the senate!

Now when is Texas going to become the next Southern state to recognize the right (not permission) of self defense? Already taken one step by partially abolishing the open carry ban (for CHL holders). :txflag:

mr1337
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Mississippi to become Permitless carry state?!

Post by mr1337 »

West Virginia is on the road as well, I hear. Likely to be vetoed by their Governor, but also likely to be returned to the lege and override the veto.

MS instituted permitless carry for purse/bag concealed carry. This was the logical and expected evolution.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

I don't have the numbers to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS is the state with the highest crime rate to enact permitless carry.

I'm eager to find out what it does to crime rates, especially in Jackson and the gulf coast (which is where I'm from).
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

artx

Post by artx »

That's great! Mississippi already had something I wish Texas had - the ability to carry in otherwise prohibited locations with an enhanced license (i.e. primary and secondary schools). They class to get the enhancement is easy.

While ideally no license is required or places off limits, as a stepping stone I'd be overjoyed to take a 4 hour class and carry into my kids school here.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

mr1337 wrote:West Virginia is on the road as well, I hear. Likely to be vetoed by their Governor, but also likely to be returned to the lege and override the veto.

MS instituted permitless carry for purse/bag concealed carry. This was the logical and expected evolution.

Constitutional Carry should soon be Going to the Governor in West Virginia
Written by Gun Owners of America
Permitless Carry Passes Both Chambers of the State Legislature!
Article
http://www.gunowners.org/statewv02222016.htm
Monday, the West Virginia senate, by a vote of 24-9, approved House Bill 4145, the constitutional carry legislation. (The house had already approved Del. Saira Blair’s bill by a vote of 68-31 earlier in February.

Under this bill, West Virginians will no longer be required to get the government's permission to exercise their Second Amendment rights to carry a concealed firearm to protect themselves and their families.

The House and Senate still have to finalize some minor differences between the versions that passed each chamber.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

NotRPB wrote:
mr1337 wrote:West Virginia is on the road as well, I hear. Likely to be vetoed by their Governor, but also likely to be returned to the lege and override the veto.

Constitutional Carry should soon be Going to the Governor in West Virginia
Written by Gun Owners of America
Permitless Carry Passes Both Chambers of the State Legislature!
Article
http://www.gunowners.org/statewv02222016.htm
Monday, the West Virginia senate, by a vote of 24-9, approved House Bill 4145, the constitutional carry legislation. (The house had already approved Del. Saira Blair’s bill by a vote of 68-31 earlier in February.

Under this bill, West Virginians will no longer be required to get the government's permission to exercise their Second Amendment rights to carry a concealed firearm to protect themselves and their families.

The House and Senate still have to finalize some minor differences between the versions that passed each chamber.
That's great news! Hopefully if the WV Gov vetoes (like last time), it goes back to the lege and they override it.

I don't know the politics of the current MS Gov, but given the conservative nature of the state, I don't think he would veto it.
Keep calm and carry.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

It's not going to happen in Texas, for reasons that have been discussed here ad nauseum. And if it did, at the end of the day it would make matters worse: the foodfight in the legislature would draw even more attention to guns and carrying and generate even more signage.
-Ruark

jed

Post by jed »

Maybe I've been under my rock too long, but wouldn't permit less carry be a problem with the criminal element and LEOs? I'm sure most criminals carry anyway now and there's laws against this. I'm not sure I see how this works out. I guess it would be no different than now, we just wouldn't need LTC.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

jed wrote:Maybe I've been under my rock too long, but wouldn't permit less carry be a problem with the criminal element and LEOs? I'm sure most criminals carry anyway now and there's laws against this. I'm not sure I see how this works out. I guess it would be no different than now, we just wouldn't need LTC.

Exactly it would basically be Constitutional carry the criminals or anyone prohibited by law would still be unable to carry legally, but it would remove the hoops one has to jump through to obtain a permit.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

equin

Post by equin »

mr1337 wrote:I don't have the numbers to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS is the state with the highest crime rate to enact permitless carry.

I'm eager to find out what it does to crime rates, especially in Jackson and the gulf coast (which is where I'm from).
Interesting point. I, too, would be interested to know those statistics. I used to live near Biloxi. My Dad still lives there.
Ed

Return to “Other States”