So Good News, Bad News

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Haas
Posts in topic: 7

Re: So Good News, Bad News

Post by Haas »

After a bit more digging I've found a link that seems pretty up to date. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonR ... ermits.pdf It lists what states will take a Non-residents license and from the looks of it it'll cover the states we'll be visiting when on our "trip." Now I just need to figure out a storage solution for keeping my DPX ammo in PA.
:txflag: I love this place

aero10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by aero10 »

ScottDLS wrote:
aero10 wrote:
Keith B wrote:When you move, you need to change your address with DPS. Your LTC will become a non-resident license.
Make sure when you check reciprocity, that you check it against a non-resident license. Some states (Florida did at one point and may still) have different reciprocity rules based off of whether your license is resident or non-resident. At one point, you couldn't carry in Florida if you had a non-resident Florida license.
I think it was that you couldn't (and can't) carry in Florida on a non-resident license OTHER THAN FLORIDA. It would seem crazy for Florida to issue a non-resident license that they don't recognize. :confused5
I'd agree that it's crazy. I ran across it probably five years ago, which I believe is about the time they imposed the rule (and I could be completely wrong on that) and I think there was a good bit of confusion duty some of the state's wordings and postings. They probably have clarified since then.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasCajun »

Haas wrote:After a bit more digging I've found a link that seems pretty up to date. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonR ... ermits.pdf It lists what states will take a Non-residents license and from the looks of it it'll cover the states we'll be visiting when on our "trip." Now I just need to figure out a storage solution for keeping my DPX ammo in PA.
Shoot the non-compliant ammo. And God bless you & yours. I can't imagine having to take a job transfer out of Texas, much less a job transfer out of Texas into some place like NJ.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

ScottDLS wrote:
aero10 wrote:
Keith B wrote:When you move, you need to change your address with DPS. Your LTC will become a non-resident license.
Make sure when you check reciprocity, that you check it against a non-resident license. Some states (Florida did at one point and may still) have different reciprocity rules based off of whether your license is resident or non-resident. At one point, you couldn't carry in Florida if you had a non-resident Florida license.
I think it was that you couldn't (and can't) carry in Florida on a non-resident license OTHER THAN FLORIDA. It would seem crazy for Florida to issue a non-resident license that they don't recognize. :confused5
It may seem crazy, but in reading their law, it does not seem to give an exception for the Florida non-resident license to carry in Florida. :confused5
790.015 Nonresidents Who Are United States Citizens and Hold a Concealed Weapons License In Another State; Reciprocity.—
(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
(a) Is 21 years of age or older.
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
(c) Is a resident of the United States.
(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.
(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:
(a) Registering to vote;
(b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
(c) Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence.
(4) This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm license holders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
(5) The requirement of paragraph (1)(a) does not apply to a person who:
(a) Is a service member, as defined in s. 250.01; or
(b) Is a veteran of the United States
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote: ...
It may seem crazy, but in reading their law, it does not seem to give an exception for the Florida non-resident license to carry in Florida. :confused5
790.015 Nonresidents Who Are United States Citizens and Hold a Concealed Weapons License In Another State; Reciprocity.—
(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
(a) Is 21 years of age or older.
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
(c) Is a resident of the United States.
(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.
(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:
(a) Registering to vote;
(b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
(c) Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence.
(4) This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm license holders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
(5) The requirement of paragraph (1)(a) does not apply to a person who:
(a) Is a service member, as defined in s. 250.01; or
(b) Is a veteran of the United States
OK I went through the Florida statute and 790.01 is the prohibition on UNLICENSED carrying of a firearm.
790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.—
(1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor
790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section.....

790.06 doesn't say anything about having to be a resident of Florida to get a license. So there is no reason why a non-resident "licensed under 790.06" is committing a crime by carrying... :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Makes sense. I would think they would honor their own license at a minimum.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Haas

Post by Haas »

Oh man question #3 popped into my head. With a non-resident license do you think I would be able to come home on vacation and pick up a new toy while in town without issue?

FCH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FCH »

Haas wrote:Oh man question #3 popped into my head. With a non-resident license do you think I would be able to come home on vacation and pick up a new toy while in town without issue?
Simple answer - No
You would have to have the firearm transferred to an FFL in your resident state (NJ) and comply with all of NJ's rules for purchasing and owning a firearm.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

FCH wrote:
Haas wrote:Oh man question #3 popped into my head. With a non-resident license do you think I would be able to come home on vacation and pick up a new toy while in town without issue?
Simple answer - No
You would have to have the firearm transferred to an FFL in your resident state (NJ) and comply with all of NJ's rules for purchasing and owning a firearm.
That would be another reason to move to PA & commute into NJ.

Topic author
Haas

Post by Haas »

TexasCajun wrote:
FCH wrote:
Simple answer - No
That would be another reason to move to PA & commute into NJ.
Very true, we'll have to see what we can find.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Doesn't NJ also have some pretty restrictive laws on what type of firearms, magazine capacities, and ammunition types that one can possess?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

C-dub wrote:Doesn't NJ also have some pretty restrictive laws on what type of firearms, magazine capacities, and ammunition types that one can possess?
'Restrictive' is putting it lightly. NJ is downright draconian when it comes to firearms & ammo. You can't even loan someone ammo within the People's Republic of NJ.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:New Jersey isn't a very wide state so its not like the commute would be that bad.
"rlol" Clearly you have never lived there.

I lived about 8 miles from work and it was a 45 minute commute. 15 minutes on Saturday/Sunday. Worst year of my professional life.
Nothing could make me do that again short of a corporate helicopter and a unicorn carry license. Still unlikely even then.
Sounds like Katy to Houston.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Dadtodabone wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:New Jersey isn't a very wide state so its not like the commute would be that bad.
"rlol" Clearly you have never lived there.

I lived about 8 miles from work and it was a 45 minute commute. 15 minutes on Saturday/Sunday. Worst year of my professional life.
Nothing could make me do that again short of a corporate helicopter and a unicorn carry license. Still unlikely even then.
Sounds like Katy to Houston.
Yep. A "good" or "bad" commute is completely relative. When I lived in the Seattle area, my commute was an hour+ each way. Now my wife and I each have a 30 minute commute and she complains like crazy because she has always had commutes of less than 15 minutes.

When it comes to the trade off against personal freedoms, I would take a very long commute (2+ hours each way) if there was some reason I couldn't avoid working in a draconian state.

Return to “Other States”