Walmart Gallup NM Off Limits

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Walmart Gallup NM Off Limits

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Since most WM's sell Wine & Beer and probably some in NM also sell Liquor, they may be mistakenly be posting because it is a felony in NM to open carry in any place that sells liquor and also to carry in any manner where booze is sold for on premise consumption under certain conditions.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

RoyGBiv wrote:
WildBill wrote:From Wikipedia
Gallup is known as the "Heart of Indian Country" because it is in the middle of the Navajo reservation and home to many tribes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallup,_N ... mographics
It has close proximity to Native American reservations,
Looking at a Google map and at the Federal Lands map... I don't believe the land the WalMart is on is tribal... Possible, but believe not.
http://nationalmap.gov/small_scale/prin ... nds/NM.pdf
Gallup Federal.jpg
If I would have know those crime stats when we were deciding where to stop, I likely would have kept driving.
I certainly would not have gone to WalMart at 11:PM... :lol:
From the map, it appears that Gallup is not on reservation land. :thumbs2:
I was a bit surprised that Walmart would build on a reservation or that a reservation would let Walmart build on it.
NRA Endowment Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:This is kind of unusual, since Walmart has a policy of not posting their stores, but perhaps because it's in Indian Country (am I allowed to say that or is it a microagression?)
I consider the term microaggression to be a macroaggression. So consider me offended.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:This is kind of unusual, since Walmart has a policy of not posting their stores, but perhaps because it's in Indian Country (am I allowed to say that or is it a microagression?)
I consider the term microaggression to be a macroaggression. So consider me offended.
At least I didn't say (the name of that football team in Washington, DC)... For myself, I prefer the term "person of pallor" in recognition of my Norwegian (paternal) grandmother. Other grandma was a Mexican immigrant...so maybe I'm "tan". :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 9

Post by RoyGBiv »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:Since most WM's sell Wine & Beer and probably some in NM also sell Liquor, they may be mistakenly be posting because it is a felony in NM to open carry in any place that sells liquor and also to carry in any manner where booze is sold for on premise consumption under certain conditions.
My read of NM law is that carry is not prohibited if liquor/beer/wine sales are not for on premise consumption.
I'd be surprised if Walmart was not up to speed on the local law.

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/ ... tion30-7-3
See sections 4 & 4a

Interesting side note... according to 30-7-3 /4b, no carry in a restaurant that serves any liquor at all, and if the restaurant serves beer/wine, carry is prohibited by statute if beer/wine are 40% of sales or higher (compared to our 51%).
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
At least I didn't say (the name of that football team in Washington, DC)... For myself, I prefer the term "person of pallor" in recognition of my Norwegian (paternal) grandmother. Other grandma was a Mexican immigrant...so maybe I'm "tan". :biggrinjester:
I share a similar heritage. Norwegian (paternal) grandmother, but Spanish (paternal) grandfather, and the rest a mix of various European nationalities. Don't get me started on the "White" Sox. As if it's not bad enough to mention race they have to equate us to a bunch of dirty socks? I need to go find a safe space.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RoyGBiv wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:Since most WM's sell Wine & Beer and probably some in NM also sell Liquor, they may be mistakenly be posting because it is a felony in NM to open carry in any place that sells liquor and also to carry in any manner where booze is sold for on premise consumption under certain conditions.
My read of NM law is that carry is not prohibited if liquor/beer/wine sales are not for on premise consumption.

See sections 4 & 4a

Interesting side note... according to 30-7-3 /4b, no carry in a restaurant that serves any liquor at all, and if the restaurant serves beer/wine, carry is prohibited by statute if beer/wine are 40% of sales or higher (compared to our 51%).
I thought I read where it had to be at least 60% when looking around for their sign requirements earlier today or yesterday.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 9

Post by RoyGBiv »

C-dub wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

See sections 4 & 4a

I thought I read where it had to be at least 60% when looking around for their sign requirements earlier today or yesterday.
Minimum 60% food sales or more = ok for carry in a beer/wine licensed premise. So, maximum 39.999% beer/wine.
The language is a bit convoluted.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

1) gonna get myself another necroposter award.....
2) photo of the sign on the Gallup Walmart. If you do the 'CTRL+' thing, it expands the image to where you can read the fine print at top; which I take to mean that with a permit, you CAN carry concealed there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Walma ... 08.7690267
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

RoyGBiv wrote: I certainly would not have gone to WalMart at 11:PM... :lol:
That's just a good practice no matter the location! :lol:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:1) gonna get myself another necroposter award.....
2) photo of the sign on the Gallup Walmart. If you do the 'CTRL+' thing, it expands the image to where you can read the fine print at top; which I take to mean that with a permit, you CAN carry concealed there.

I like the way they tried to spell Exception at the top of the sign. :roll:
CHL since 01/26/09

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:
WildBill wrote:From Wikipedia
Gallup is known as the "Heart of Indian Country" because it is in the middle of the Navajo reservation and home to many tribes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallup,_N ... mographics
It has close proximity to Native American reservations,
Looking at a Google map and at the Federal Lands map... I don't believe the land the WalMart is on is tribal... Possible, but believe not.
http://nationalmap.gov/small_scale/prin ... nds/NM.pdf
Gallup Federal.jpg
If I would have know those crime stats when we were deciding where to stop, I likely would have kept driving.
I certainly would not have gone to WalMart at 11:PM... :lol:
In all the trips I’ve made driving the I-40 route to CA and back - probably 8 or so round trips in the last 11 years - I’ve only stopped in Gallup for gas once. I usually try to plan for an ABQ gas stop. Gallup’s WM is 142 miles from ABQ. Flagstaff, where I often spend the night, is 325 miles from ABQ. If I’m not towing a trailer, my 4Runner has about a 400 mile range on the highway. So I can usually gas up in Flag and make it on one tank to ABQ, or visa versa.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:1) gonna get myself another necroposter award.....

This is New Mexico's version of Texas' Blue Sign. Carry away with a permit. No permit, no carry. The advantage of having a permit vs. permit-less carry.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Dp-12

Post by Dp-12 »

"
It said "No Firearms Allowed on these Premises"...
Such signs have the force of law in NM.
"

Which is why our 30.06 and 30.07 signs in Texas is SO appreciated by me.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Dp-12 wrote:"
It said "No Firearms Allowed on these Premises"...
Such signs have the force of law in NM.
"

Which is why our 30.06 and 30.07 signs in Texas is SO appreciated by me.
Nope. Zoom in and read fine print at top. Permit holder is allowed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Other States”