Interstate Handguns.

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Interstate Handguns.

Post by Liberty »

If the Reciprocity act goes through, Interstate travelers will still have a dilemma. Certain guns, ammo and magazines are illegal in certain states.
As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
Mags should be ten rounds or less and no hollowpoints. Are there any other restrictions?
Would a 1911 with ball ammo be appropriate? Maybe a revolver?

Just curious because up till now I never concidered packing anything else other than a 9mm high capacity loaded with defensive ammo. It would be nice to travel to all states legally. with a decent gun.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RPBrown

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Post by RPBrown »

I suppose it would be just as your DL now, you would still be required to know the rules of each state you go through
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

RPBrown wrote:I suppose it would be just as your DL now, you would still be required to know the rules of each state you go through
:iagree:
I have two apps on my phone that have all 50 states gun laws and I always review the rules of each state I am going to be traveling through.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ImportedTexan

Post by ImportedTexan »

bblhd672 wrote:
RPBrown wrote:I suppose it would be just as your DL now, you would still be required to know the rules of each state you go through
I have two apps on my phone that have all 50 states gun laws and I always review the rules of each state I am going to be traveling through.

Which apps, that sounds handy? I do quite a bit of interstate travel.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I use the legal heat app. Handgunlaw.us is also good.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have heard that at least one version of the Constitutional Carry (HR 38?) has language that you are legal to carry what is legal in your home state or the state the permit is from. I do not know what limits or exceptions there are to that.

I agree the guns and ammo ownership restrictions could be an issue as well as the differences in how self defense is defined in the state law and how it is handled in court. I can see someone from say Texas getting tripped up over another state's law regarding duty to retreat for example. I can also easily see someone thinking something is legal when it is just that the activity was never prosecuted in their home state. Even after the lawsuits subside from the liberal states fighting Constitutional Carry, there will be more lawsuits and appeals over there sort of prosecutions.

Another reason I hope Trump continues to appoint more federal judges and more SC judges.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... t%22%5D%7D
(2) The term ‘handgun’ includes any magazine for use in a handgun and any ammunition loaded into the handgun or its magazine.
Emphasis mine.

MY OPINION: I read the above as cutting the heart out of magazine limits and ammunition bans.
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

ImportedTexan wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:

Which apps, that sounds handy? I do quite a bit of interstate travel.
"Legal Heat" and "CCW" apps - both on iPhone.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Liberty wrote: As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
Mags should be ten rounds or less and no hollowpoints. Are there any other restrictions?
What states restrict hollow points?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Liberty wrote:If the Reciprocity act goes through, Interstate travelers will still have a dilemma. Certain guns, ammo and magazines are illegal in certain states.
As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
Would a 1911 with ball ammo be appropriate? Maybe a revolver?

Just curious because up till now I never considered packing anything else other than a 9mm high capacity loaded with defensive ammo. It would be nice to travel to all states legally. with a decent gun.
Alternative to Hollowpoints where they are illegal, is expanding FMJ, if you want expansion more than ball ammo 165 Grain Expanding FMJ is a light weight (low recoil & fast ) .45, still heavier (& wider hole) than a 9mm round, built to expand but isn't a "hollowpoint" https://www.google.com/search?q=expandi ... irefox-b-1

I just bought some Federal Premium Ammunition - Guard Dog for that purpose
Image courtesy of & I purchased from https://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-165- ... -20-rounds

Note: if they're sold out check here on the Ammo price search engine ... https://ammoseek.com/ammo/45acp/Federal ... s-?ikw=dog
I have no affiliation with anyone, I am retired and UN-affiliated I don't even check dating sites I signed up on years ago

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Lynyrd wrote:
Liberty wrote: As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
What states restrict hollow points?

I know New Jersey does but I'd have to check Md, NY, Ct, RI and Ma. I don't think Ca does -----yet.
N5PNZ

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Unknown how up to date or out of date this is:
ok it says 2010

Ammunition-Laws-By-State

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco ... -State.pdf
do a word search for hollow points
odd that cities can pass laws in Cali so there's a patchwork of what's legal by city limits...
City of San Francisco
Banned Ammunition

It is unlawful for a licensee to sell, lease or otherwise transfer to any
person any ammunition that:

Serves no sporting purpose

Is designed to expand upon impact and utilize the
jacket, shot or materials em
bedded within the jacket or
shot to project or disperse ba
rbs or other objects that are
intended to increase the damage to a human body or
other target

Including, but not limited to:
Sacramento Municipal Code
§ 5.64.020(A)
San Francisco Police Code
§ 613.10(g)(1-3)
o
W
inchester Black Talon, Speer Gold
Dot, Federal Hydra Shok, Hornady XTP,
Eldorado Starfire, Hollow Point
Ammunition and Remington Golden
Sabre ammunition

Is designed to fragment upon impact

o
Black Rhino bullets and Glaser Safety
Slugs
o
Exception

Does not include lead core hollow point ammunition
when the purchase is made for official law enforcement
purposes and the purchaser is
authorized to make such a
purchase by the director of a public law enforcement
agency

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

NotRPB wrote:Unknown how up to date or out of date this is:
ok it says 2010

Ammunition-Laws-By-State

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco ... -State.pdf
do a word search for hollow points
odd that cities can pass laws in Cali so there's a patchwork of what's legal by city limits...
City of San Francisco
Banned Ammunition

It is unlawful for a licensee to sell, lease or otherwise transfer to any
person any ammunition that:

Serves no sporting purpose

Is designed to expand upon impact and utilize the
jacket, shot or materials em
bedded within the jacket or
shot to project or disperse ba
rbs or other objects that are
intended to increase the damage to a human body or
other target

Sacramento Municipal Code
§ 5.64.020(A)
San Francisco Police Code
§ 613.10(g)(1-3)
o
W
inchester Black Talon, Speer Gold
Dot, Federal Hydra Shok, Hornady XTP,
Eldorado Starfire, Hollow Point
Ammunition and Remington Golden
Sabre ammunition

Is designed to fragment upon impact

o
Black Rhino bullets and Glaser Safety
Slugs
o
Exception

Does not include lead core hollow point ammunition
when the purchase is made for official law enforcement
purposes and the purchaser is
authorized to make such a
purchase by the director of a public law enforcement
agency
This law appears to only cover the sale or transfer of hollow point ammo, so unless you are planning to sell ammo while visiting, it shouldn't impact you.

But I agree that we will have a patch work of laws and regulations to navigate, even if this passes. Still would be better than the current state, though.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

We don't have reciprocity yet and I am not counting on it. Republicans seem to be all talk and no action. But be aware that some states have restrictions on the sale of certain firearms but that may not mean you can't carry them. California has a list of "compliant" guns that can be sold there. Massachusetts has restrictions on I believe trigger pull of certain guns. This is when you hate states rights. NJ has a ban on hollow points. I think even carrying ammo in DC is a crime.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:We don't have reciprocity yet and I am not counting on it. Republicans seem to be all talk and no action. But be aware that some states have restrictions on the sale of certain firearms but that may not mean you can't carry them. California has a list of "compliant" guns that can be sold there. Massachusetts has restrictions on I believe trigger pull of certain guns. This is when you hate states rights. NJ has a ban on hollow points. I think even carrying ammo in DC is a crime.

Wouldn't even get close to passing in the Senate and even if it did would be held up by leftist "lawfare" and liberal judges until a new Democrat majority repealed it. There's also the libertarian argument, which I somewhat subscribe to, that the Federal government should have no role in regulation of criminal enforcement powers of states, EXCEPT to the extent that they infringe on Constitutional rights of citizens or directly affect interstate commerce.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Other States”