Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Can't bring ammo into California

Post by SQLGeek »

Liberty wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:How does this law affect the residents of other states who travel into California with a firearm? Can they bring their usual carry ammo with them for “personal use”?
Beat me to it - I was just about to ask the same question.
I don't know but things like me this is why we desperately need the reciprocity bill passed soon.
Indeed and I would definitely carry when going back to CA to visit friends and family. The height of irony is that I would have more rights as a visitor than I would as a resident.
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OK, I texted a good friend of mine who is a retired CA LEO, currently living near Carson NV, but who occasionally commutes into CA for his 2nd career tech-industry job. Here was his reply:
It's more about in state residents purchasing out of state and then importing, as I have read it all. The ballot measure, Prop 63, in part, added new sections to the Penal Code concerning ammunition and amended a few others, but all are mainly centered around sales / delivery from sales and they apply to residents. See section 8 of the initiative language on the attached lnk. https://www.oag.ca.gov/system/files/ini ... rms)_0.pdf

That said, presumably you would not be able to buy ammo there, but the background check requirement doesn't hit until July 1.

There is nothing about non-residents anywhere in the initiative language or the statutes that I find.

Mere possession of ammunition is not criminalized by any of the enacted statutes.
As usual, my friend brings great clarity to the issues that I ask him about.

He got back to me a little later with this:
Retired LEO carrying under LEOSA probably don't have an issue either way with ammo. Retired LEO were specifically exempted from large capacity magazines (e.g. > 10 rounds) by PC 32406 which Prop 63 amended. That actually works in our favor at the federal level on an equal protection claim as there is ample case law in the Ninth Circuit that retired LEO are no longer special and don't necessarily get to have nice things.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

I would have liked it better if he'd said "standard capacity magazines" instead of "large capacity magazines." :biggrinjester: :evil2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Honestly, Cal. seceded, no it isn't official, but they have and ...I wish them luck.

Given the amount of criminals, homeless, welfare sucking useless among them, they're gonna need it.

One day they'll come knocking on our door, begging please, please, please, let us back into the union of sanity....nope, nope, nope...

OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OneGun »

Can't buy ammo out of state, but out-of-state law breakers welcome!

Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

C-dub wrote:I would have liked it better if he'd said "standard capacity magazines" instead of "large capacity magazines." :biggrinjester: :evil2:
Yes. We must all start using proper terminology, "standard capacity magazine" and "restricted capacity magazine" or "infringed capacity magazine". Our side does way too much to make it easier for the wrong side by using their terminology. We must stop saying "assault rifle" and say "modern sporting rifle". We must never say "high capacity magazine". We must stop helping the other side.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Just tell them it's "undocumented" ammo, and since California is a sanctuary state, they have to allow it. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

LDB415 wrote:
C-dub wrote:I would have liked it better if he'd said "standard capacity magazines" instead of "large capacity magazines." :biggrinjester: :evil2:
Yes. We must all start using proper terminology, "standard capacity magazine" and "restricted capacity magazine" or "infringed capacity magazine". Our side does way too much to make it easier for the wrong side by using their terminology. We must stop saying "assault rifle" and say "modern sporting rifle". We must never say "high capacity magazine". We must stop helping the other side.
Yeah, my friend is well aware of all that. He owns more than one AR, and he is an NRA multiple discipline instructor.....a very knowledgeable guy. He is on our side. It is one thing to make sure that we are on message, but I also refuse to engage in “reverse political correctness”.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Flightmare wrote:Just tell them it's "undocumented" ammo, and since California is a sanctuary state, they have to allow it. :biggrinjester:
Let only the undocumented immigrant, carry/transport the undocumented ammo in CA. CA go, go for the "undocumented". :shock:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

What if, when I visit my brother and niece in CA, my ammo and gun self identify as binary fruits and nuts? In addition they clearly will be "undocumented" and thus should be coved under the sanctuary laws as they will not have been convicted of a crime
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Liberty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Yeah, my friend is well aware of all that. He owns more than one AR, and he is an NRA multiple discipline instructor.....a very knowledgeable guy. He is on our side. It is one thing to make sure that we are on message, but I also refuse to engage in “reverse political correctness”.
There is no such thing as “reverse political correctness”. It is "Political Correctness", Just as "reverse discrimination" is just plain old discrimination. I refer to my AR an "assault style rifle". It looks like a millitary weapon, pretty much shoots like a modern millitary style weapon and is capabable of being used in a millitary type assault (ie: no-knock or SWAT raids). I am not apologetic of the fact. A 30 rnd Mag is a high capacity magazine by almost any standard. While maybe for an AR15 10 or 15 round capacity coulds be considered lower or limmited capacity. The original intent of Stoners AR was to produce a high capacity personal weapon.

The original M16 was a selective fire 5.56mm rifle with a 20-round magazine. To my mind anything smaller would be a limmited capacity, anything larger is a high capacity, 20 rnd is standard capacity. YMMV.

At any rate it won't hurt to be forgiving of the language we use, and don't have to condemn those using high capacity clips in their assault weapons. The intended meaning is still clear.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Practically any firearm that exists or ever existed is or was a military or military style firearm. Sure, there are some that are not and never were, but most are or were.

I simply refer to mine as what they are. I realize that my M4 carbine is not the "real thing" since it doesn't have a burst or full auto mode, but it is stamped as an M4 Carbine, so that's what I call it. The same goes for my Garand and 1903 Springfield. They were weapons of war. A Garand has killed more than any other firearm in US history and is a high powered rifle, but because of its looks the left doesn't have a problem with it.

Okay, okay, preaching to the choir. I know. Sorry. I just call them what they are and don't try so to sugar coat it or down play them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Liberty wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: Yeah, my friend is well aware of all that. He owns more than one AR, and he is an NRA multiple discipline instructor.....a very knowledgeable guy. He is on our side. It is one thing to make sure that we are on message, but I also refuse to engage in “reverse political correctness”.
There is no such thing as “reverse political correctness”. It is "Political Correctness", Just as "reverse discrimination" is just plain old discrimination. I refer to my AR an "assault style rifle". It looks like a millitary weapon, pretty much shoots like a modern millitary style weapon and is capabable of being used in a millitary type assault (ie: no-knock or SWAT raids). I am not apologetic of the fact. A 30 rnd Mag is a high capacity magazine by almost any standard. While maybe for an AR15 10 or 15 round capacity coulds be considered lower or limmited capacity. The original intent of Stoners AR was to produce a high capacity personal weapon.

The original M16 was a selective fire 5.56mm rifle with a 20-round magazine. To my mind anything smaller would be a limmited capacity, anything larger is a high capacity, 20 rnd is standard capacity. YMMV.

At any rate it won't hurt to be forgiving of the language we use, and don't have to condemn those using high capacity clips in their assault weapons. The intended meaning is still clear.
Understood.... but you know what I meant by “reverse PC”. I simply meant our brand of PC rather than the opposition’s brand of PC.

Words DO have meaning, and I get that. The political correctness of language has more meaning in some contexts than in others. The comments my friend wrote, which I quoted above, were within the context of a private conversation between two ardent 2nd Amendment supporters. When I made his side of the conversation public (which, BTW, I told him I did and he has viewed this thread), I chose to quote him verbatim rather alter what he said, because I gave him the link to this thread. When a stranger calls my AR15 an “assault weapon”, I correct him, and explain why. When a longtime gun-owning friend whose bonafides are impeccable uses the word in a private conversation with me, I don’t even hear it that way. I know what he means. He knows that I know that he means. I know that he knows that I know what he means.....yada yada yada. If you can’t put down the sword of political correctness between friends, then why even talk with one another?

I do understand that these public pages are read by the opposition, but like I said, I chose to make public part of a private conversation, and to do it verbatim because I knew the other person would read the post.

#TINVOWOOT

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Every time one of us says "assault style rifle" or "high capacity magazine" we play into the hands of the left. Justify it if you want. Go with it if you want. Fact is a 30 rd magazine for an AR is the "standard" capacity for the gun. It was the standard when it was developed. It has a greater capacity than the magazine for a 10/22 or whatever but it isn't "high capacity". It's the original standard for the gun. A standard capacity magazine.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “Other States”