Instructor Said I'm Illegal With CT LTC

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Instructor Said I'm Illegal With CT LTC

Post by rtschl »

texman45 wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. A quick tally of the responses so far shows differing opinions. 2 say it's okay for me as a Texas resident to carry with a Connecticut LTC, 1 says it is not. If I throw in the advice from the range instructor that it's not, that brings the score to 2 to 2 ! So it's a 50/50 chance that I could be arrested. Aren't gun laws great?

But ex-Governor Perry's 2005 proclamation seems to be very clear cut, "NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim that the State of Texas shall give full faith and credit to valid, permanent state permits to carry a pistol or revolver issued by the State of Connecticut."

To me that says that the State of Texas is giving full faith and credit to the Connecticut LTC because the requirements to obtain one satisfy the requirements of Texas. In answer to one of the questions brought up here, yes, you can legally open carry in Connecticut with their LTC, just be prepared to get a lot of flack from the local constabulary when your fellow citizens start calling 911. Personally, I don't ever open carry because in a good guy vs. bad guy situation, since the bad guy would know you have a firearm, you may be forced to take a bullet rather than draw it in an unsafe situation with bystanders around. With concealed carry, with the bad guy not knowing that you are armed, you can wait until you have a clear shot without danger to bystanders. At least that's the way I look at it.

Since you saw Charles Cotton's response above, he can speak authoritatively as he is the owner of this site and responsible for most of our gun friendly laws (as well as responsible for stopping unfriendly ones). His comment is worth more than all ours combined. ;-)
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
texman45
Posts in topic: 5

Post by texman45 »

rtschl wrote:Since you saw Charles Cotton's response above, he can speak authoritatively as he is the owner of this site and responsible for most of our gun friendly laws (as well as responsible for stopping unfriendly ones). His comment is worth more than all ours combined. ;-)
Thanks, Ron. Good to know. And thanks, Charles.
Bob
NRA Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

It is legal to carry in Texas with your (now) non-res. Connecticut permit. I have a CT permit too, though I have also had my Texas CHL/LTC for 22 years. There was one short period in 2002 when my Texas CHL expired for a couple weeks while pending renewal. I had a FL non-res at the time and carried with that. I got CT in 2006 on a "lark" since a friend of mine from CT had one and I wanted to prove I could do it too.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

Abraham wrote:Just get a Texas LTC and quit staring at your navel.

Sheesh....
My thoughts exactly. Eliminate any question and get your Texas LTC.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Or.......... just keep carrying on your CT permit, since it's perfectly legal... ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Other than the address on the LTC, is there any difference between resident and non-resident licenses? In other words, is it necessary and did they switch it to a non-resident license when they changed the address to your Texas address? One would think they did.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
texman45
Posts in topic: 5

Post by texman45 »

mojo84 wrote:Other than the address on the LTC, is there any difference between resident and non-resident licenses? In other words, is it necessary and did they switch it to a non-resident license when they changed the address to your Texas address? One would think they did.
The Connecticut LTC I have now, with my Texas address on it, was renewed in 2013 (expires next year). It's just the standard "Connecticut State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" with no "Non Resident" designation.
Bob
NRA Life Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

texman45 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Other than the address on the LTC, is there any difference between resident and non-resident licenses? In other words, is it necessary and did they switch it to a non-resident license when they changed the address to your Texas address? One would think they did.
The Connecticut LTC I have now, with my Texas address on it, was renewed in 2013 (expires next year). It's just the standard "Connecticut State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" with no "Non Resident" designation.
I have no knowledge about the Ct laws but I would double check with them to see if there is a difference. If so, that may be why the instructor said what he said.

Nonetheless, I recommend going through the Texas class provided by a good reputable instructor and get a Texas resident license. That's just my opinion though.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

mojo84,

And, a good one...

BBYC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BBYC »

:clapping: not that one
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change