Instructor Said I'm Illegal With CT LTC

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texman45
Posts in topic: 5

Instructor Said I'm Illegal With CT LTC

Post by texman45 »

Recently at my local gun range I had a conversation with their Certified Instructor. He told me that when I became a Texas resident 10 years ago, and began renewing my Connecticut LTC with my Texas address on it, the State of Texas stopped honoring it, and I would be subject to arrest if I carry with it and don't have a Texas LTC.

I know that the Connecticut LTC is not valid for carry in school gun free zones, and that I cannot use it for a gun purchase without a background check, BUT it not being valid at all for a Texas resident was news to me!

So was this guy right or wrong? Thanks in advance.
Bob
NRA Life Member

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Instructor Said I'm Illegal With CT LTC

Post by rtschl »

First, I am assuming you are abiding by Connecticut's laws for out of state or non resident permit as noted here: http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a= ... 14#address

If so, Connecticut is a unilateral agreement per: https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/legal ... /index.htm with the specific document for Connecticut here: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/LTC/legal ... nnproc.pdf

Texas will recognize your permit even though Connecticut will not recognize ours. Now whether or not it is wise not to get a Texas LTC is another question. The price has dropped considerably which was one of the major reasons a lot of people went with out of state permits.
Ron
NRA Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

A friend moved from WA to TX a few years ago. He did not convert his WA permit to non-resident. His intention was to carry on his WA resident permit until it expired, since WA had told him that the permit was not invalidated by his relocation to TX.

When he inquired, by telephone, to TX-DPS he was told that he could carry in TX on a WA non-resident permit, but that since he had changed his residence and DL to TX, that his WA resident permit would not be honored in TX and he risked being arrested for carrying without a permit.

Bottom line.. In my OPINION (since IANAL and this is not legal advice), a valid non-resident license from any state is recognized by TX, but a resident license from another state is not recognized as valid by TX if the licensees official state of residence is not the same as the state that issued the resident license.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

IANAL, but it seems to me one's gun license should have the same address as one's driver license?

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Oldgringo wrote:IANAL, but it seems to me one's gun license should have the same address as one's driver license?
The OP seems to make clear that is the case for him. CT-issued license showing his TX address. IMO, good-to-go here.

Just my opinion.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Another question...
The unilateral agreement indicates it is for CC only, not OC.
Of course I know that a TX LTC is for both. Does the agreement need to be updated?
Also, is the CT license for CC only or both CC and OC?
How does all this figure into the equation?
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

flowrie wrote:Another question...
The unilateral agreement indicates it is for CC only, not OC.
Of course I know that a TX LTC is for both. Does the agreement need to be updated?
Also, is the CT license for CC only or both CC and OC?
How does all this figure into the equation?
Interesting question.. Here's the relevant document.. (link will open PDF)
http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/legal/ ... nnproc.pdf
".... This recognition will be for the purpose of concealed carry only....... "
I believe a CT license authorizes both OC and CC IN CONNECTICUT.
ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Connecticut
Connecticut is a Licensed Open Carry state. A Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers allows the carry of handguns openly or concealed any place in the state that is not considered "off-limits" under state law. Despite this, local law enforcement have been known[citation needed] to detain carriers. There have been very few actual arrests and no convictions in recent history as a result of carrying unconcealed however. State law is silent on the open carry of long guns in public either with or without a permit, although some municipalities have enacted ordinances restricting or banning the practice. Various towns and the state police as well have articulated through training memos that open carry is legal and to not harass people who carry openly without some other cause.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Just get a Texas LTC and quit staring at your navel.

Sheesh....

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Texas residents can carry on an out-of-state license, if that license is recognized in Texas. We defeated two bills that would have required Texas residents to have a Texas LTC.

Chas.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote:Just get a Texas LTC and quit staring at your navel.

Sheesh....
:iagree: Time to fully commit to the move.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote:Just get a Texas LTC and quit staring at your navel.

Sheesh....
If the OP returns to CT for family, or is only here temporarily, why get a TX LTC when a CT permit covers both places?

This is really a tough crowd sometimes.. :mrgreen: :lol:

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Texas residents can carry on an out-of-state license, if that license is recognized in Texas. We defeated two bills that would have required Texas residents to have a Texas LTC.

Chas.
Okay. I was under the impression that was the law. If you were a Texas resident, you needed to have a Texas LTC. Thanks for clarifying.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

texman45 wrote:Recently at my local gun range I had a conversation with their Certified Instructor. He told me that when I became a Texas resident 10 years ago, and began renewing my Connecticut LTC with my Texas address on it, the State of Texas stopped honoring it, and I would be subject to arrest if I carry with it and don't have a Texas LTC.

I know that the Connecticut LTC is not valid for carry in school gun free zones, and that I cannot use it for a gun purchase without a background check, BUT it not being valid at all for a Texas resident was news to me!

So was this guy right or wrong? Thanks in advance.
Can you tell us the name of the range so people can avoid incredibly ignorant instructors.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Topic author
texman45

Post by texman45 »

Thanks for the input everyone. A quick tally of the responses so far shows differing opinions. 2 say it's okay for me as a Texas resident to carry with a Connecticut LTC, 1 says it is not. If I throw in the advice from the range instructor that it's not, that brings the score to 2 to 2 ! So it's a 50/50 chance that I could be arrested. Aren't gun laws great?

But ex-Governor Perry's 2005 proclamation seems to be very clear cut, "NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim that the State of Texas shall give full faith and credit to valid, permanent state permits to carry a pistol or revolver issued by the State of Connecticut."

To me that says that the State of Texas is giving full faith and credit to the Connecticut LTC because the requirements to obtain one satisfy the requirements of Texas. In answer to one of the questions brought up here, yes, you can legally open carry in Connecticut with their LTC, just be prepared to get a lot of flack from the local constabulary when your fellow citizens start calling 911. Personally, I don't ever open carry because in a good guy vs. bad guy situation, since the bad guy would know you have a firearm, you may be forced to take a bullet rather than draw it in an unsafe situation with bystanders around. With concealed carry, with the bad guy not knowing that you are armed, you can wait until you have a clear shot without danger to bystanders. At least that's the way I look at it.
Bob
NRA Life Member

Topic author
texman45

Post by texman45 »

tbrown wrote: Can you tell us the name of the range so people can avoid incredibly ignorant instructors.
I'd rather not. It's the closest range to my house and I wouldn't want to become persona non grata there.
Bob
NRA Life Member

Return to “Other States”