Washington Open Carry

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Washington Open Carry

Post by imkopaka » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:11 pm

I'm visiting family up in Washington State right now. Yesterday we took our kids to Steel Lake Park in Federal Way and there was a guy OC with a Ruger 9mm in a SERPA belt holster! :hurry:

I took the opportunity to thank him for not being like the leftist idiot majority up here and tell him that I felt safer with him there. I started talking and he mentioned that he's had the cops called on him multiple times for OC. I didn't ask if he'd ever been arrested as a result of those encounters. Of all the things I never thought I'd see while I was up here, an openly carried handgun wasn't one of them. :fire :thumbs2:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Topic author
imkopaka

Re: Washington Open Carry

Post by imkopaka » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:36 pm

UPDATE:

I also had breakfast with a very pro-2A friend the other day and he mentioned that he OC's everywhere but in Seattle. I asked how that went and he said that usually it's a non-issue. He said that the cops have been called on him twice. The first time was when a woman started screaming "he's got a gun! Help!" and called the police. When they got there the police gave HER a ticket for disorderly conduct and told my friend to carry on. The second was when a woman called the police and started making stuff up about my friend (he's waving it around, he's trying to kill people, etc) and when they got there and got the whole story from witnesses they wrote THAT woman a ticket too! Something about giving a fraudulent statement or something - I forget.

In summary, I am SHOCKED that the police in Washington know and properly enforce gun laws up here. I decided not to OC while here because I didn't want to be the test case, but knowing this I wish I had!

snorri
Posts in topic: 1

Post by snorri » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:45 pm

I wouldn't open carry in Seattle either (because of the snowflakes, not the cops) but I had no issues in the smaller towns. No issues in Olympic National Park or Rainier National Park either, but I didn't go in visitor centers or gift shops.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

koine2002
Posts in topic: 1

Post by koine2002 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Cool, where abouts were you?

I just moved up here to Washington (Whidbey Island). It was a change of pastoral venue for me (served 11 years in Dallas). I'm a Texan through and through but my wife can no longer medically handle the heat (she had heat stroke in infancy along with another lifelong medical condition). My heat tolerance isn't what it used to be, either. That and it was getting pretty clear that it was time for me to move on.

Anyway, when I came up for my candidate trip in February, one of the deacons immediately let me know he was carrying and offered to disarm if I desired. I, of course, told him to keep carrying. It turns out everyone I've met carries or is pro-2A (even those who are more on the left!). The Ace Hardware in town is an FFL, as well! I think part of it is that this part of the island is very much tied to the Navy (and the Marines to a much lesser extent). Everyone in my church, other than one member, is someway connected to NASWI as active duty, retired, or civilian contractor (and he also served a 4 year term 20 years ago in San Diego).

I personally won't OC (it's unlicensed in Washington for OC) and will start carrying again once I get my Washington CCP (or whatever the initials are) since WA doesn't play nice with Texas. I'll be avoiding Seattle except for airport trips and when friends come to visit (you know, they all want to see Seattle). It's also a real pain to get there from the northern part of Whidbey Island. So I don't expect to deal much with King County and their anti-2A issues.

On an ironic side note, the process of getting a concealed carry license here in WA is actually cheaper and less onerous than Texas. It's a shall issue state and it's bascically.
1. Got to local LE agency with application and passport photos
2. Submit application and get fingerprinted right there
3. Get license in the mail after background check is done

Texas is more difficult to get. It's silly that WA doesn't recognize a Texas license. The only reason they don't recognize a Texas LTC is because Texas allows those people under 21 who have an honorable discharge from a branch of the military to get a license.
Taurus 709 Slim
Smith and Wesson Model 5904

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:24 pm

I was in Felony Way (Federal Way :biggrinjester: ).

Return to “Other States”