Illinois Car Carry

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ralewis
Posts in topic: 2

Illinois Car Carry

Post by ralewis »

It appears to me it's not illegal to carry in a vehicle in Illinois. (reference below). Has anyone traveled thru Illinois with a handgun and interacted with Law Enforcement? I'll be doing a road trip this summer and passing thru Illinois.

Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Keith B

Re: Illinois Car Carry

Post by Keith B »

You are correct that it's legal. I have carried in my vehicle in Illinois, but have not interacted with law enforcement.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

Are the laws different in Chicago than the rest of the state?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

My info is 2 yrs old. I was not pulled over.

If you have a Texas LTC, you may have a gun in the car.

HOWEVER,

It is legal to possess the firearm in your car as long as it is unloaded and enclosed in a container. You can have a loaded magazine “WITH” the gun, but it must not be “IN” the gun.

Topic author
ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Keith B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 pm You are correct that it's legal. I have carried in my vehicle in Illinois, but have not interacted with law enforcement.
Carry meaning loaded/concealed correct?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Bruin98 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm My info is 2 yrs old. I was not pulled over.

If you have a Texas LTC, you may have a gun in the car.

HOWEVER,

It is legal to possess the firearm in your car as long as it is unloaded and enclosed in a container. You can have a loaded magazine “WITH” the gun, but it must not be “IN” the gun.
You may carry it loaded in the vehicle. You may get out and be the immediate area of the vehicle for purposes of storing it when leaving the vehicle.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

mojo84 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm Are the laws different in Chicago than the rest of the state?
Yes! Unlike Texas, local municipalities in Illannoy had a window after the passage of their FCCL law to enact magazine bans, etc. Go to ISPFSB.COM for more info.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Return to “Other States”