Went to the range in New Jersey today

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Went to the range in New Jersey today

Post by oohrah »

Visiting my daughter and her family in Roxbury, NJ who recently moved here (from Illinois - I can't get a break :roll: ).

She and I took my granddaughters to the range today. Yes, I know, I was surprised. Very nice facility, lots to rent. Had a nice discussion with the staff about gun laws in NJ, and yes they are as draconian as we have heard. But if you didn't know, this club/range could've been anywhere, well stocked with handguns and rifles to sell, and about half the bays were busy on an early Friday afternoon.

Did a lot of reading about NJ laws, but did not bring anything with me, didn't want to take the chance of being a permanent resident. However, I checked out the NJ Gun Forum, lot of nice folks there. I even got invited to a shotgun shoot, and a cowboy action shoot this weekend, so there are ranges and gun clubs, and a lot more activity than I imagined. Just no licensing (unless you know a judge and Chief of Police) but apparently a lot of shooting going on.

According to NJ law, it is actually legal to transport an unloaded locked-up handgun in your vehicle to a private residence, but there are a lot of gotchas, so I won't be trying it anytime soon. And I don't see anything changing here anytime soon. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along in case anybody found themselves in similar circumstances.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Went to the range in New Jersey today

Post by philip964 »

Wow, had no idea it was possible.

One little slip up and your in the slammer.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OneGun »

Gun range in NJ? Isn't that like a Maxine Waters dining with Trump at the White House?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I was also impressed that all the employees were open carrying, even in the gift shop and cafe.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Went to the range in Maryland today to shoot for DC CCW. It was a pretty nice range in Upper Marlboro. Another state I never thought I’d go shooting in.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

squirrelmaster9

Post by squirrelmaster9 »

I moved from nj to tx 3 months ago. Its insanely difficult to get a handgun purchase card. A concealed carry is impossible for the average person. So glad TX is gun friendly

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

It would be interesting to know all the hoops the Gun Range had to go through to start business...
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:51 pm It would be interesting to know all the hoops the Gun Range had to go through to start business...
$$$$$ cut a lot of red tape.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

OneGun wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 pm
Middle Age Russ wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:51 pm It would be interesting to know all the hoops the Gun Range had to go through to start business...
I observed that LEOs get big discounts on memberships and purchases, and one staffer told me he was let off a traffic stop because he worked at the range. I don't know how long they've been in business, but they are very popular. This area is suburban/rural, very conservative and not diverse. Not at all what I expected.
USMC, Retired

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

oohrah wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:10 am
OneGun wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 pm
I observed that LEOs get big discounts on memberships and purchases, and one staffer told me he was let off a traffic stop because he worked at the range. I don't know how long they've been in business, but they are very popular. This area is suburban/rural, very conservative and not diverse. Not at all what I expected.
upstate new York northern Pennsylvania most of western Mass , and almost anywhere away from the bigger cities on the east coast is like that. Unfortunately the big cities. Have most of the votes
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

dlh

Post by dlh »

You went to a Joisey shooting range??

Whats-a-mattah-which-yuz??....:)
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oohrah wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pmAccording to NJ law, it is actually legal to transport an unloaded locked-up handgun in your vehicle to a private residence, but there are a lot of gotchas, so I won't be trying it anytime soon. And I don't see anything changing here anytime soon. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along in case anybody found themselves in similar circumstances.
A few years ago, a man moving to NJ from out of state, followed the procedure in NJ law as it was explained to him by the LEO authorities in that state before moving there with his unloaded locked up handgun in the trunk of his car, to transport it to his new residence. He was stopped by LEO before he got there, searched, and arrested for unlawful transport of a firearm. He was convicted, and sent to prison. Gov Cristi commuted his sentence - after he had already spent several years behind bars. Cristi’s commutation did not pardon him and erase the felony conviction from his record; it merely shortened his sentence to time served and he was released. He now has a felony gun conviction on his record, and has lost his 2nd Amendment rights. Permanently. All because the state of NJ violated its own laws to crush the liberties of a single man who was trying in good faith to follow that law - as explained to him by NJ authorities.

No...... you can keep NJ, and Cristi is only barely better than the fascists that arrested, charged, convicted, and imprisoned him. Trump had an appropriate 2-word description for NJ, which forum rules do not allow me to repeat here. All of that NJ gun culture is but a few strokes of a pen away from being made illegal. They are no respecters of the Constitution in that state. Crapulence is the word that comes to mind.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

They told me the story of a guy going home from the range, legally transporting who had a flat tire in a school zone, and is now in prison.

Apparently these guys do it all the time here, but count me out. I wish someone had the wherewithal to sue them like they did in Illinois to force "shall issue". I can't wait to get home.
USMC, Retired

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:42 pm
squirrelmaster9 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:20 pm I moved from nj to tx 3 months ago. Its insanely difficult to get a handgun purchase card. A concealed carry is impossible for the average person. So glad TX is gun friendly
Welcome aboard :txflag:
Ditto. Freedom smells better, doesn’t it? :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Other States”