Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

IL: PIGS FLY IN CHICAGO!

Post by ELB »

Chicago Lawmaker Encouraging Concealed Carry

“I think about it all the time,” Ford [That's State Rep. La Shawn Ford (D-Chicago)]said of the shootings that plague his community. “That’s why I’m working with a concealed carry instructor and we’re going to go through the neighborhood and we’re going to encourage people to get their concealed carry license because it makes no sense for people not to have the protections that they need.”

His vehicle was hit by a few stray bullets this past weekend.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964

Re: IL: PIGS FLY IN CHICAGO!

Post by philip964 »

Wow, pigs can fly.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Now all he has to do is to change the IL laws to allow people to actually concealed carry places where they normally go.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

I've carried concealed legally in the Chicago area, never encountered a place where I couldn't carry. Of course I never had cause to use public transportation or go into govt building's, schools, etc. And I never saw a private business posted.

True, IL has more restrictions than Texas, but they have found clever workarounds. For example, IL recognizes unloaded "transport". You can unload, and pack your carry in your backpack in a portable safe and get on public transportation. Of course, you lose the protection of your weapon.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

oohrah wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm I've carried concealed legally in the Chicago area, never encountered a place where I couldn't carry. Of course I never had cause to use public transportation or go into govt building's, schools, etc. And I never saw a private business posted.

True, IL has more restrictions than Texas, but they have found clever workarounds. For example, IL recognizes unloaded "transport". You can unload, and pack your carry in your backpack in a portable safe and get on public transportation. Of course, you lose the protection of your weapon.
I’m thinking of trying something similar for Washington, DC where I have a nonresident concealed carry license and two registered handguns. DC CCW regulations don’t allow carry on public transport, but after carefully reading the law it seems it is not illegal as long as the gun is registered. For example if you have a registered handgun but not a CCW you are allowed to carry it to the range (unloaded and separate from ammo). The funny thing is the DC metro trains go in DC MD and VA. In VA you can carry in the metro with a permit, it’s against the rules in DC (and illegal without DC CCW), and in MD fugghedaboutit.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Hope it works our for you. Agree about MD. I have to travel there and then to NJ in October. What a nightmare. Will leave everything at home unfortunately.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oohrah wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:00 am Hope it works our for you. Agree about MD. I have to travel there and then to NJ in October. What a nightmare. Will leave everything at home unfortunately.
... which is exactly what they, California, New York, and all the other illiberal commie states want. It’s why I don’t bring a gun if I fly to California. It’s too much hassle. But if I drive, I can carry right up to the AZ/CA border, and ditto on the return trip. The grandees of the commie states have a very low opinion of their serfs.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:08 am
oohrah wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:00 am Hope it works our for you. Agree about MD. I have to travel there and then to NJ in October. What a nightmare. Will leave everything at home unfortunately.
... which is exactly what they, California, New York, and all the other illiberal commie states want. It’s why I don’t bring a gun if I fly to California. It’s too much hassle. But if I drive, I can carry right up to the AZ/CA border, and ditto on the return trip. The grandees of the commie states have a very low opinion of their serfs.
Can you bring a gun to CA at all? I'm working here in San Francisco Bay area and want to bring a handgun to shoot with work colleagues. Can I keep it in my hotel? And drive it to the range in the trunk of rental car (separate from ammo). And since I can't buy ammo in CA, can I have someone give me some to shoot or us some that I "had" in California before their ammo background check?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Stick_Shift

Post by Stick_Shift »

Just reading the story, it appears that Rep. Ford's voting history has been consistently anti-gun-rights and that the fact that his car was ventilated in a shooting that ended in at least one fatality was his personal 'come to Jesus' moment. It has been my observation that politicians are loathe to change their belief system until something directly affects them. Then it's an emergency.

This may be less about his car getting shot and more about the fact that the car was parked in front of his house. This event got his attention. Now, for a progressive politician to start making these noises is indicative of where we are. People know Americans aren't going to disarm. It just is not going to happen. This fellow is waving the white flag. He knows guns are going to remain legal in the United States, he may as well encourage his constituents to take measures to insure their own safety. It's entirely self-serving of him, but sometimes that's what it takes.
A little luck and a little government is necessary to get along in life, but only a fool trusts either one. - PJ O’Rourke

Return to “Other States”