New "Enhanced CHL" in Tennessee 2020

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

New "Enhanced CHL" in Tennessee 2020

Post by WildBill »

For years, the state has only had one type of handgun permit. Starting Jan. 1, it's adding a second.

Beginning Jan. 1, Tennessee gun owners will have a second option when applying for handgun permits.

The state currently has one type of handgun permit that allows users to carry a firearm open and concealed on their person.
It requires a $100 fee and an 8-hour hands-on class, among other background check requirements. That permit doesn't
change under the new law, however, it will be renamed an "enhanced handgun permit."

But starting in 2020, a new, second option will be available. It's called a "concealed only handgun permit" and as the name implies,
it only allows permit holders to carry a weapon if it is concealed.
I don't know why they felt the need for this law, but here it is.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/41491625/t ... ed-to-know
NRA Endowment Member

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New "Enhanced CHL" in Tennessee 2020

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

So it sounds like this boils down to a requirement for additional training if someone wants to open carry? As long as the training is relevant on topics such as weapon retention, etc., that might make some sense.

In a sense, Texas already has a 2 tier system. No license is required to carry a gun here as long as the gun does not leave your home or vehicle (unless you are going to a range, etc). Our LTC is really a type of "enhanced" license that adds the right to carry outside your home / vehicle into a number of other places.

There are days where I never leave my home or vehicle, other than to go into my office, which is carry restricted regardless.

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New "Enhanced CHL" in Tennessee 2020

Post by WildBill »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:17 am So it sounds like this boils down to a requirement for additional training if someone wants to open carry? As long as the training is relevant on topics such as weapon retention, etc., that might make some sense.
Yes, that jogs my memory. They did consider increasing the length of the Texas LTC class for open carry.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Other States”