Finally licensed in WA

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
koine2002
Posts in topic: 2

Finally licensed in WA

Post by koine2002 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:44 am

It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I moved from Dallas to Oak Harbor, WA almost 2 years ago. I finally got around to getting licensed to carry (concealed), here. OC is allowed without a license. I haven’t carried since I got here since WA doesn’t recognize my Texas license (which is now non-resident). Oak Harbor is a pretty sleepy town (other than the EA-18 Growlers flying around) anyway, and I avoid the metro area like the plague.

That said, it was very easy to get, much easier than Texas, actually (and surprisingly). I filled out a two page application, took it down to the local PD during CPL fingerprinting hours (Tuesday mornings), was interviewed (basically just confirming the application information and entering it into the computer), fingerprinted, and sent on my way. Two weeks later I got a letter from city hall with my license and a booklet detailing WA firearms laws. Like Texas, there is no local preemption of firearms laws allowed.

I really don’t understand why WA won’t honor TX considering that the TX license not a little bit more difficult to obtain. I know it’s because TX allows for HD vets under 21 to be licensed, but that’s a pretty lame excuse.
Taurus 709 Slim
Smith and Wesson Model 5904

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Finally licensed in WA

Post by jmorris » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 pm

They could at least follow New Mexico's example and disallow just the under 21 licences.
Jay E Morris, Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC, Cibolo, Tx
NRA Lifetime
TSRA Lifetime (as of my Jan 2019 official old fart birthday)
NRA Recruiter (link)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Out of curiosity, why’d you move up there?
• Give me Liberty or I'll get up and get it myself.
• I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.
• My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.
• Independent Minarchist.

Topic author
koine2002
Posts in topic: 2

Post by koine2002 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:30 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 pm
Out of curiosity, why’d you move up there?
A number of reasons. My wife has health conditions that make the Texas heat very debilitating for her. I was getting burned out by urban life. Having multiple streams of income (pastor, chaplain, professor) was also taking its toll. I looked for other opportunities in Texas, but most places wanted someone 15 years my younger (I was 43 at the time) with 18 years of experience (I could provide that) along with being one of 700 applicants (this included small churches out in the desert). At a meeting of our network of churches I met a pastor from Whidbey Island who just announced plans to move to France on mission and they had just began their search. That began the process and 8 months later we moved to Oak Harbor. I figured if a colder climate was in the works, one with nice scenery and abundant outdoor opportunities would be nice. Whidbey Island, at least the north, has a lot of sun compared to the rest of the region, too, due to being in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains.
Taurus 709 Slim
Smith and Wesson Model 5904

Return to “Other States”