Oopsie...underreporting crimes on campus.

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Oopsie...underreporting crimes on campus.

Post by KD5NRH »

A few months ago when the campus carry bill was up in the Texas legislature, I used Clery Act disclosures from the local university to refute some anti's claims that the campus is safer than the rest of the town. Yesterday, the paper ran a headline story that the university has been fined $137,500 for underreporting crimes on campus.

Looks like three rapes in 2006, 39 burglaries, and 28 drug arrests in 2005-2007 didn't get reported properly. No word on robberies or non-sexual assaults, but IIRC, just adding those three rapes to '06 makes the campus four times more dangerous for women than the rest of the city.

Making matters even more interesting, it looks like they were at least partly busted by their own student newspaper.

karl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oopsie...underreporting crimes on campus.

Post by karl »

Is that a statewide statistic or specific to a certain university?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

ELB

Post by ELB »

Interesting, thanks for bringing this up. I was unaware of the Clery Act until now.

Which university are you referring to?
USAF 1982-2005

Zee

Post by Zee »

I can see wanting to blow your own horn and all but distorting the actual safety stats of a school seems almost criminal. Its tough to make a reasonable decision about something when the info is all twisted.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Under-reporting under the Clery Act is a major problem and one that was brought up during the 2009 Texas Legislative Session. A former summer employee of ours is a UT/Austin student and she knew of a handful of violent crimes that were not listed.

Private schools tried desperately to be exempt from the reporting requirements of Clery, but they failed. The Act applies to any school that takes federal money directly or indirectly such as federal scholarships. If campuses are as safe as the opponents of the campus-carry bills claimed, one must wonder why schools fought against Clery like proverbial tigers and why they find it necessary to under report crimes

Chas.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

:thumbs2:
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

:iagree:

Well said, Charles!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Good point, Mr Cotton. Again, is this a specific school or is it all of 'em?

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Oldgringo wrote:Good point, Mr Cotton. Again, is this a specific school or is it all of 'em?
The three unreported rapes I mentioned were specific to Tarleton State University. I'd post the original stats, but the online version seems to have disappeared since the article came out.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Oldgringo wrote:Good point, Mr Cotton. Again, is this a specific school or is it all of 'em?
Under reporting is a nationwide problem, but the events of which I am aware occurred at the University of Houston and UT/Austin.

Chas.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”