UT series of 6 articles.

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

UT series of 6 articles.

Post by RPB »

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... uns-campus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus, the series of 6
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... rry-campus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Kory Zipperer, Daily Texan Guest Columnist
Published: Monday, January 31, 2011

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... aled-carry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An open dialogue: concealed carry
By Daily Texan Editorial Board,
Published: Thursday, February 3, 2011

Editor’s note : This is the first installment in a six-part series about legislation that would directly affect students. We have asked campus leaders, students, faculty, politicians and administrators to weigh in on this week’s topic of debate: concealed carry on campus.
The question: How would concealed carry affect campus safety?
By John Woods
Director of Students For Gun-Free Schools

To be supplemented: More links and info as they are published.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Re: UT series of 6 articles.

Post by baldeagle »

This is more than a little irritating.
If the bill passes, Wentworth said only licensed holders older than 21 years old who have completed a required class and passed a background check would be granted the additional rights.
Excuse me?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I don't get it. Isn't that a true statement? What am I missing?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

C-dub wrote:I don't get it. Isn't that a true statement? What am I missing?
An American citizen cannot be "granted additional rights" by the government. Our rights come from natural law and from God and cannot be granted by anyone. All that government can do is take our rights away from us through the submission of the citizenry.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ahh! Now I get it, he would have more correct to say that right would be restored.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 74novaman »

C-dub wrote:Ahh! Now I get it, he would have more correct to say that right would be restored.
But you're rarely hear politicians use those words because it implies the truth of the matter: We are forced to slowly restore rights that have been trampled on by our state in the past.
TANSTAAFL

jcarp02

Post by jcarp02 »

“If this≠≠ legislation passed, it would make things a little more complicated,” Weldon said. “It’s always easier to regulate something that is not a law versus something that is. It’s easier for officers to monitor if someone is breaking the law than having to check who has a license to carry on campus and who doesn’t.”

I get the impression that Weldon is not only an opponent of on-campus carry, but also does not know much about concealed carry.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

:iagree:

Ignorance is only funny when it doesn't affect me

next articles are here :
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... aled-carry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Faculty Council... Council’s resolution stresses opposition to concealed carry
By Matthew Stottlemyre, Daily Texan Staff
Published: Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Barrish also provides faculty support to the campus organization Students for Gun Free Schools,...
AND

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... lf-defense" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Former Rep. advocates guns for self-defense
By Mary Ellen Knewston, Daily Texan Staff
Published: Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Former state Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp said to about 50 students Tuesday that ....

John Woods, the gun-free organization’s executive director, said the current policy is working, but the current problem is suicides,
rest of the story at above links
I'm no lawyer

Kory Zipperer

Post by Kory Zipperer »

That second article you posted was the best thing I've read all year!

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

Though advocates argue that concealed carry allows for a quick response to critical situations, the reality is that it will hinder our trained UTPD from effectively managing all situation.
By that he must mean setting up a perimeter and waiting for a negotiator to show up. :banghead:
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Latest articles (and a related one)

Related:
(More signs)
University develops emergency procedure posters to be put in classrooms, offices

By Allison Harris, Daily Texan Staff
Published: Thursday, February 17, 2011
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... ms-offices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Articles
Survivors decry campus gun legislation
By William James, Daily Texan Staff
Published: Friday, February 18, 2011
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... egislation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: This one has an error, it lists John Woods as a "survivor'
(Well I guess he is, I mean I survived the 9/11 attacks, although my mom and Aunt both died on 9/11 ... Mom passed on 9/11/1984, my Aunt on 9/11/some other year.. I also survived the 9/11/1961 hurricane Carla when it hit Houston area)

Concealed carry bill expected to become law
82nd Legislature
By Jim Vertuno, The Associated Press
Published: Monday, February 21, 2011
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... become-law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

From the last article
Opponents of campus gun rights say students and faculty would live in fear of their classmates and colleagues, not knowing who might pull a gun over a poor grade, a broken romance or a drunken fraternity argument.
And the opponents believe that all of those things aren't possible today because????? Oh, I forgot. BGs only disregard the laws about shooting innocent people, not about carrying unlicensed guns.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”