UTEP school article

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

UTEP school article

Post by RPB »

Students want to keep guns out of UTEP
By Lucia Murguia
Published: Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Updated: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 00:03

http://www.utepprospector.com/perspecti ... -1.2075267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After hearing about the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007 and the Northern Illinois shooting in 2008, the thought of students carrying concealed weapons on campus is daunting to many.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Because of the high risk that guns would pose on campus and in the general well-being of students, the UTEP Student Government Association feels that it is by all means necessary to prevent the legislature from passing such a law. SGA has taken the initiative to begin a petition and a resolution for UTEP students to be a part of.

There will be a rally on campus for students, faculty members and the public to attend March 9 at noon in Leech Grove. The rally will consist of an information session along with a live signing session.

"We believe that if we attain at least 2,500 votes opposing concealed weapons on campus, we can push Governor Rick Perry away from the signing the bill,"
and "information" session, then sign the petition after you are filled with hypothetical fears instead of facts . :ack:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UTEP school article

Post by Jasonw560 »

I am glad I didn't get a proper kollege ejimakayshun.

Someone needs to ask them if they'll let SCCC into their little party and present actual facts, so students can be more well informed.

Or maybe Students for Concealed Carry on Campus should hold a counter-rally.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

klouierocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by klouierocks »

I just signed up right now to let you know that my fellow peers and I will be there to educate them :tiphat:
more info is here :txflag:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 58&index=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I doubt that 2,500 signatures in opposition is going to get Rick Perry to not sign the bill.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

UTEP's student government will rally today against a bill that allows guns on campus.
http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_17569729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder if they'll have cheerleaders

Wonder if there's something in the rules or laws prohibiting the Student government from taking sides on an issue to try to affect legislature

SGA (Student Government Association) has taken the initiative to begin a petition and a resolution to send to the governor,"
I'm no lawyer

klouierocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by klouierocks »

Well I went and there was no rally. I think they got scared haha. The only people there was the SGA president, some offical and the Assistant Police chief. The official had NO idea about the requirements need to get a CHL. So I missed class for no reason but I might be on the news or news paper :hurry: :coolgleamA:

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

http://www.kdbc.com/news/utep-rallies-a ... ampus-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ktsm.com/news/utep-rallies-a ... ampus-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

Douva

Post by Douva »

RPB wrote:Wonder if there's something in the rules or laws prohibiting the Student government from taking sides on an issue to try to affect legislature
That's pretty much all most student governments due. They're kind of useless.

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

"Two students gather to oppose campus carry"

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

It seems to me that if any university in Texas should be thanking
their lucky stars that campus carry is being considered, it would be UTEP.

Narcos are just across the border. It would seem highly likely that if any
school in Texas might have a massacre incident, it would be UTEP.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:It seems to me that if any university in Texas should be thanking
their lucky stars that campus carry is being considered, it would be UTEP.

Narcos are just across the border. It would seem highly likely that if any
school in Texas might have a massacre incident, it would be UTEP.

SIA
:iagree: They have had at least two police reports of people with guns "seen" on campus this year, there are a couple of bullet holes in buildings which strayed from Mexico, and I'm sure their "parking lot gun farm" would be attractive to criminals. El Paso has quite a few licensees in the general population.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

klouierocks wrote:Well I went and there was no rally. I think they got scared haha. The only people there was the SGA president, some offical and the Assistant Police chief. The official had NO idea about the requirements need to get a CHL. So I missed class for no reason but I might be on the news or news paper :hurry: :coolgleamA:
Thank you, it wasn't a waste of time going, I"m really glad it came out to where there wasn't a lot of people influenced by MIS-information.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

The Shirt saying "Gun free zone means disarmed victim zone" got more TV air time than anything else in the video of the rally
http://www.ktsm.com/news/utep-rallies-a ... ampus-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbs2:
I'm no lawyer

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”