UT Arlington article 3-8-2011

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

UT Arlington article 3-8-2011

Post by RPB »

Complaints against concealed guns on campus miss the mark
Tuesday, 08 March 2011 18:01
Daniel Goodman, The Shorthorn guest columnist
http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.php/o ... s-the-mark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Also see viewtopic.php?f=90&t=43011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about Texas A&M investigating Ethics violations for Faculty taking a position on legislation )
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UT Arlington article 3-8-2011

Post by Purplehood »

I liked the general tone of the OP's letter, but disliked this paragraph as I found it to be too general an assumption:
It also means you’ve spent a ton of cash getting it, not including the cost of purchasing a firearm. “Ton” means you’ll spend about $1,000 on initial training and fees to get the Concealed Handgun License, plus the first year of insurance to cover a lawyer and bail if you ever use your gun. For a decent, reliable firearm, expect to spend at least $200 but likely $400 or more. Add to that the costs of an appropriate holster for the gun and a wardrobe and/or accessories that allow full concealment while still allowing
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

redlin67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by redlin67 »

This is a good article. A little off on the $1000 just to get your CHL, but it could easily go higher all things considered. Range time, ammo, holsters, at least one gun, gun addiction (yeah, I got it, but my wife keeps me on a tight rein), it all adds up. It is all worth it. :coolgleamA:
Taurus PT111
Ruger LCP

5/26/10 Plastic

To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage.
Confucius

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I think he may have expensive insurance, but $1,400 for a 1911 instead of $400 would balance it out so the total is about right even without insurance ;-)

I think the point he tried to make was that it is a serious undertaking, not something bought at a dime store, and with a serious commitment, investment in money, time, study, with a lot to lose, so we won't be "waving guns around in the air like we just don't care" and violating "intentional failure to conceal/disorderly conduct" etc and all That we are responsible adults who put lots of thought into things and don't act on impulse. (whoop out a gun over a disagreement or grade)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”