Campus gun bill called 'slam dunk

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Campus gun bill called 'slam dunk

Post by RPB »

Campus gun bill called 'slam dunk'
Wentworth predicts the legislation will be approved easily.
By Melissa Ludwig
mludwig@express-news.net
Updated 12:59 a.m., Saturday, March 12, 2011

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... z1GOM1OEgX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although scores of Texas students, administrators and campus police have shown distaste for the idea of allowing handguns on campus, legislation appears headed toward a “slam dunk” in the Legislature this session, according to state Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, who authored the Senate bill.

In various polls, student referenda and resolutions at Texas universities, the majority said they oppose the bill, which would allow anyone over 21 with a permit to carry a concealed handgun into university buildings, including dormitories.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... z1GOMOMsg8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not counting pre-hatched chickens. Article is a bit "biased"
In a poll of 443 students at the University of Texas at San Antonio,

In a recent poll conducted by a group of Texas newspapers,

Faculty at A&M, UTSA and the University of Houston have passed resolutions opposing the proposed law, as have the student governments at UT-Austin and the UT Health Science Center at San Antonio.

Francisco Cigarroa, chancellor of the UT System,

“Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students,”

University police, who hold primary responsibility for students' safety, have argued that in a mass shooting, they would not be able to distinguish the “bad guy” from the “good guys” if more than one person draws a weapon.

Two survivors of that shooting — Colin Goddard, who was seriously injured, and John Woods, who lost two friends

Campuses already are safer than the surrounding community
---

What if the gun went off in a backpack in a chemistry lab and blew it up? What if police can't get to the scene of a mass shooting in time? What if police accidentally shoot someone trying to take down a mass shooter? What if a mentally unstable student finds a gun in a dorm room and uses it to commits suicide? What if students are drunk at a party and someone pulls a gun?

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... z1GORmnpiG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus gun bill called 'slam dunk

Post by Oldgringo »

We had guns in the dorm at what was then TPI in 1962 and later in the married student apartments at the Univ. of Tenn from 1965 through 1967. To the best of my recollection, nobody got shot at either school during those years. :roll:

That was then but this is now.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I heard there were roughly 200 rifles in the dorms at UT when Charles Whitman was there (My cousin was there at the time of the occurrence) Good thing they were handy.
I'm no lawyer

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PappaGun »

At this point, since it is a slam dunk, it should simply be deemed passed.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I'm wondering how I ever missed all the drunken parties during class and in the library they all keep talking about.
I musta been studying at the time, those 32 "A"s didn't just make themselves appear on my transcript by magic.
I'll try to pay more attention if I go back for my next degree.
I'm no lawyer

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I don't believe that any vote is a "slam dunk." Never under estimate your opponent. Keep fighting until the end.
It's not over until it's over. - Yogi Berra
NRA Endowment Member

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

What if the gun went off in a backpack in a chemistry lab and blew it up? What if police can't get to the scene of a mass shooting in time? What if police accidentally shoot someone trying to take down a mass shooter? What if a mentally unstable student finds a gun in a dorm room and uses it to commits suicide? What if students are drunk at a party and someone pulls a gun?
Since when have police arrived at the scene of a mass shooting in time to do anything but count bodies?

Is coming up with wildly improbable hypothetical situations a journalist-only thing, or can anyone play?
--What if a gun spontaneously discharged, piercing an outer wall of a building and causing an explosive decompression?
--What if a student who was carrying a gun became a zombie? Are you in favor of armed zombies?
--What if a gun went of in a physics lab, hit a flux capacitor, and created a black whole that destroyed the worls?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PappaGun »

WildBill wrote:I don't believe that any vote is a "slam dunk." Never under estimate your opponent. Keep fighting until the end.
It's not over until it's over. - Yogi Berra
How true.

Witness health care...
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hirundo82 wrote:
Since when have police arrived at the scene of a mass shooting in time to do anything but count bodies?

Is coming up with wildly improbable hypothetical situations a journalist-only thing, or can anyone play?
--What if a gun spontaneously discharged, piercing an outer wall of a building and causing an explosive decompression?
--What if a student who was carrying a gun became a zombie? Are you in favor of armed zombies?
--What if a gun went of in a physics lab, hit a flux capacitor, and created a black whole that destroyed the worls?
I like this one:

What if those people who were huddled together on an airplane on 9/11 had more than a cell phone?

I could go on ... ;-)
I'm no lawyer

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Since we all agree that we shouldn't count our chickens yet...

Has everyone here called every member of the committee and expressed their support for HB 750? Right now, SCCC estimates that they'll be outnumbered by antis 2:1 at the hearing tomorrow. Doesn't matter if you can't come to Austin in person to make your presence felt, you can still make 10 phone calls to the committee members and throw your weight behind the bill.

=====================================
(from the TAMU branch of SCCC:)

If you are unable to make it to the house committee meeting Wednesday, Please at least call the committee members by end of day Tuesday and let them know you support concealed carry on campus!

Sid Miller, Chair - (512) 463-0628
Allen Fletcher, Vice Chair - (512) 463-0661
Marva Beck - (512) 463-0508
Lon Burnam - (512) 463-0740
Joe Driver - (512) 463-0574 (lead author)
Dan Flynn - (512) 463-0880
Barbara Mallory Caraway - (512) 463-0664
Aaron Peña - (512) 463-0426
Armando Walle - (512) 463-0924

Please also send us your written testimony saying why you support concealed carry on campus--get your parents to write one as well! Please include your name, address, and other contact info. It can be a few sentences or a couple paragraphs. Please send them to txsccc@yahoo.com by 8PM Tuesday--this will be a huge help to us!

I urge all of you to try to make it to the committee meeting. The event is here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 43&index=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far, our opponents have almost twice as many attendees for this event than we do. Don't let Students for Criminal Friendly Schools keep us defenseless; come to the capital Wednesday and show them that your right to self defense is worth fighting for!

Chase Jennings
TAMU SCCC Co-Chair
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

oldtexan

Post by oldtexan »

[quote="RPB[/quote]...... Article is a bit "biased" [/quote]

This article looks pretty even-handed to me. It presents arguments and concerns from both sides of the issue. If it looked like a piece from NRA-ILA or TSRA , or the Brady Campaign, then both the reporter and his/her editor would have failed to do their jobs.

The article offers facts to help put the debate into context, for example giving the number of CHLs in Texas, pointing out that if HB 750 becomes law only CHL holders, not unlicensed folks, would be able to carry inside buildings, that most college students being under 21 wouldn't qualify, that CHL holders can carry legally on campus now as long as they don't enter a building, etc.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

[quote="RPB...... Article is a bit "biased" [/quote]

oldtexan wrote:This article looks pretty even-handed to me. It presents arguments and concerns from both sides of the issue. If it looked like a piece from NRA-ILA or TSRA , or the Brady Campaign, then both the reporter and his/her editor would have failed to do their jobs.

The article offers facts to help put the debate into context, for example giving the number of CHLs in Texas, pointing out that if HB 750 becomes law only CHL holders, not unlicensed folks, would be able to carry inside buildings, that most college students being under 21 wouldn't qualify, that CHL holders can carry legally on campus now as long as they don't enter a building, etc.
Yeah a "bit" biased, I didn't mean way off base biased. nor real biased
2 page article, many read only the first page
biased in format/layout
More anti on page1, more Pro on page 2
I'm no lawyer

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”