What is taking the Senate Committee so long?

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TracerTong
Posts in topic: 2

What is taking the Senate Committee so long?

Post by TracerTong »

Is SB 354 going to be indefinitely stalled in the Senate Criminal Justice Committee or what?

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What is taking the Senate Committee so long?

Post by A-R »

Just spoke with someone in Sen. Whitmire's office who tells me the "pending" on this bill in committee is at request of the bill's author, who I believe is Sen. Wentworth, yes?

Anyway, I voiced my opinion that bill needs to be voted out of committee WITHOUT any "opt-out" provision amendment, and this gentleman told me he believes this is exactly what will be happening.

RiverCity.45

Post by RiverCity.45 »

Sometimes bills just die in committee. My fingers are crossed that this isn't one of them.
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jasonw560 »

Maybe they're waiting on HB 750. We'll see if they vote on it today.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Crap. Doesn't look like they have a quorum. They'll leaving all these bills pending.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

AAARGH!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

RiverCity.45 wrote:Sometimes bills just die in committee. My fingers are crossed that this isn't one of them.
It has been more than a week since the public hearing. I'm starting to think some of the co-sponsors signed on to get the NRA brownie points, with the intention of getting it killed in committee.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

tacticool wrote:
RiverCity.45 wrote:Sometimes bills just die in committee. My fingers are crossed that this isn't one of them.
It has been more than a week since the public hearing. I'm starting to think some of the co-sponsors signed on to get the NRA brownie points, with the intention of getting it killed in committee.
That doesn't work. We know when that's happening.

Chas.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Wish my momma was still alive, she'd get them moving, she always ended my "period of procrastinating" efficiently :lol:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
tacticool wrote:
That doesn't work. We know when that's happening.

Chas.
I'm hearing the Santa Claus jingle in my head. 'He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness' sake!'
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

RHenriksen wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:That doesn't work. We know when that's happening.
I'm hearing the Santa Claus jingle in my head. 'He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness' sake!'
Nah; fluffy white beards and capes don't go together:

Douva

Post by Douva »

What happened: Somebody screwed up and neglected to list the bill as pending on the agenda for today's meeting.

What the committee wants to do about it: Take it up at the next meeting, which isn't until next Tuesday.

What we want them to do about it: Schedule a committee vote for sometime this week.

What you can do about: Call Senator Whitmire's office (512-463-0115) and POLITELY ask that he arrange a committee vote on SB 354 for sometime this week.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO COME ACROSS AS RUDE OR CONFRONTATIONAL! Senator Whitmire is on our side, and we want to keep it that way.

Topic author
TracerTong

Post by TracerTong »

Douva wrote:What happened: Somebody screwed up and neglected to list the bill as pending on the agenda for today's meeting.

What the committee wants to do about it: Take it up at the next meeting, which isn't until next Tuesday.

What we want them to do about it: Schedule a committee vote for sometime this week.

What you can do about: Call Senator Whitmire's office (512-463-0115) and POLITELY ask that he arrange a committee vote on SB 354 for sometime this week.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO COME ACROSS AS RUDE OR CONFRONTATIONAL! Senator Whitmire is on our side, and we want to keep it that way.
I just got off the phone with Senator Whitmire's office and the guy answering the phone claims that it is untrue that someone neglected to list the bill as pending on the agenda for the meeting. Regardless though I did ask him to forward to Senator Whitmire a request to bring it to a vote this week.

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

While 'they' know we are watching - I'm more cynical. The current majority in the legislature knows that the folks who support gun rights have nowhere to go for an alternative vote. Thus, they may feel free to play the gun rights community, again, by supporting the bills in public and letting the committee chicanery kill them - thus serving the PR issue but serving their real masters of the business community.

We will see if I am incorrect in this. Business community members see campus carry as linked to the parking lot bills as any expansion of carry on campus leaks on to their domain. So any kind of carry expansion is to be opposed. It's all liability masquerading as concern for life. It is clear that schools and businesses see carry as a financial risk to themselves. Your fate as an individual is a very low priority.

So if this does go down - does the RKBA community''s disappointment really put legislators at electoral risk? Gonna vote for antigun democrats?

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”