Another day, another mugging on a Houston campus

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hirundo82
Posts in topic: 4

Another day, another mugging on a Houston campus

Post by hirundo82 »

Student mugged on Rice campus

A Baylor College of Medicine student was robbed at gunpoint on the Rice campus on April 2 while he was on his was walking to his car in the Greenbriar parking lot. At this time, RUPD has not been able to identify or apprehend the two suspects.
Whole thing here.

And they (at least Sen. Ogden) say we shouldn't be allowed to carry because it won't make campuses any safer? The fact that it is a Baylor College of Medicine student means the victim is almost certainly old enough to have a CHL.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Another day, another mugging on a Houston campus

Post by Pawpaw »

If he's a Baylor College of Medicine student, doesn't that imply that he has completed 4 years of college and is now in medical school?

If that's the case, he could easily be over 21.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

1 comments
someothername
Mon Apr 11 2011 17:52
Get a "Crime Victims' Compensation" application from the Attorney General's office.
:mrgreen: "rlol"

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/victims/about_comp.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I should have filed for the gun stolen from the "storage car" years ago. BUT
Please understand that the statute does not provide for the reimbursement of property damage or losses due to property crimes.
So .... you are out of luck...

A Baylor College of Medicine student was robbed at gunpoint on the Rice campus on April 2 while he was walking to his car...

Darn, who told criminals that all law abiding citizens are defenseless between buildings and cars where they must store guns? It was supposed to be a secret.
Last edited by RPB on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:If he's a Baylor College of Medicine student, doesn't that imply that he has completed 4 years of college and is now in medical school? If that's the case, he could easily be over 21.
Unless he is a Doogie Howser, you would be correct. Not that it really matters, but he was a medical student at Baylor. I wonder what he was doing at Rice? Maybe looking confused? :???:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Pawpaw wrote:If he's a Baylor College of Medicine student, doesn't that imply that he has completed 4 years of college and is now in medical school?

I thought I said that:
hirundo82 wrote:The fact that it is a Baylor College of Medicine student means the victim is almost certainly old enough to have a CHL.

Of course, Rice and Baylor, both being private schools, will almost certainly continue to ban carry even if campus carry passes. :grumble
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Ameer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ameer »

That's what I was thinking. Even the most pro-gun version of campus carry would have allowed both of those schools to "opt out" without making the schools liable for that decisions.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Topic author
hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

WildBill wrote:Not that it really matters, but he was a medical student at Baylor. I wonder what he was doing at Rice? Maybe looking confused? :???:
The article doesn't say what time the mugging occured, but there are a couple of possibilities I can think of.

My first guess would be he was jogging on the track around the Rice campus. The track is next to public roads and open to the public (lots of families/community members using it in the evening). If that is what he was doing he could have carried legally anyhow.

I don't know if many Baylor medical students park on the Rice campus. It wouldn't surprise me, because parking in that lot is only $1 per day, while parking in the medical center is ridiculously expensive.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

hirundo82 wrote:The article doesn't say what time the mugging occured, but there are a couple of possibilities I can think of.
The article says he "was robbed around 9" but I don't see AM or PM.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Topic author
hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Ameer wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:The article doesn't say what time the mugging occured, but there are a couple of possibilities I can think of.
The article says he "was robbed around 9" but I don't see AM or PM.
Ah, I missed that. I'd imagine it was 9pm, which for a medical student isn't that unusual of a time to be leaving school. That's a major reason the amendments to exclude teaching hospitals and schools attached to hospitals from the campus carry legislation really bother me.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

Even if campus carry doesn't exempt medical schools or teaching hospitals, BCM is private.
It's "the only private medical school in the Greater Southwest" according to the website.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

hirundo82 wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:If he's a Baylor College of Medicine student, doesn't that imply that he has completed 4 years of college and is now in medical school?

I thought I said that:
hirundo82 wrote:The fact that it is a Baylor College of Medicine student means the victim is almost certainly old enough to have a CHL.

Of course, Rice and Baylor, both being private schools, will almost certainly continue to ban carry even if campus carry passes. :grumble
:banghead:

Sorry! I misread your post. :oops:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”