It Is Possible!

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Thomas

It Is Possible!

Post by Thomas »

Someone I know attended his son's graduation from a small Texas university campus. From what I know, he got written authorization to carry with his CHL to the graduation event (off-campus) and even on-campus for the day. His son asked the administration and a few days later, the head of the campus police department called him up for details, and then called the father for information so they could do a background check.

Hopefully the law will be changed so CHLs don't have to jump through hoops and be at the mercy of the university administrators. I don't know why the campus police wanted to do a background check when one was already required for the license though. Though at least several people in the administration had enough common sense to allow this, and whoever they are, I thank. :tiphat:
PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits
an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly posTEXAS
CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS PC §46.03. 39
sesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon
listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution,
any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or
educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation
vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or
educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written
regulations or written authorization of the institution;

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Re: It Is Possible!

Post by BrianSW99 »

That's great to hear, but it's also the first I've heard of anyone actually getting written authorization.

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

BrianSW99 wrote:That's great to hear, but it's also the first I've heard of anyone actually getting written authorization.
I forgot to mention, it's also the first time this university was asked.

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrianSW99 »

Thomas wrote:
BrianSW99 wrote:That's great to hear, but it's also the first I've heard of anyone actually getting written authorization.
I wonder if they would grant a student, faculty or staff the same authorization?

Brian

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

BrianSW99 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I wonder if they would grant a student, faculty or staff the same authorization?

Brian
Me too.

mgood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mgood »

I live across the street from South Plains College in Levelland, Texas. (It's a 2-year college, but with an enrollment of 10K+, it's larger than a lot of universities.)
They have a Law Enforcement training program there, whatever they call it.
I have heard, though I have not verified it, that one day a week, any student can go to the Law Enforcement building with their own guns and use their range for just a couple bucks. It is an indoor range, so that's inside one of the buildings. That's not exactly the same as permission to wonder around the campus anywhere you wanted to go, but it is something.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”