30.06 notices on campus buildings

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 3

30.06 notices on campus buildings

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Yesterday, we moved into a new building on the A&M campus. On walking in with my first dolly load of junk, I was met by what looks like standard, legal 30.06 language there on the glass door. A bunch of things went through my head, like the legal irrelevance of 30.06 notification to a university building that is already restricted somewhere else in the code. I am wondering if this is happening to other buildings on the campus or on other campuses of the A&M System, or other campuses of state institutions of higher learning. Legalities aside, I am wondering about the extra advertisement to potential nutjobs that "Oh yes, c'mon in. Remember, this is STILL a "gun free zone". I am wondering about the extra liability that the university may face if, God forbid, some tragedy does happen and it turns out the University was needlessly posting this irrelevant language.

I guess that's enough wondering for one morning. I am going to formulate some of these questions a little better and send them to the proper authorities. I appreciate any of your thoughts. Also, I need to be able to quote the criminal and/or education code chapter and verse with regards to university buildings already being restricted and how 30.06 doesn't apply. Thanks, John
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 30.06 notices on campus buildings

Post by Purplehood »

I suspect that they would face as much liability as any other business in the state of Texas that posts a 30.06 sign. None.

Of course that would totally ignore the fact that a public building shouldn't have one posted in the first place, so the sign is in effect meaningless. And since a campus is still a Gun-Free Zone, there is no need for the sign anyway.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Perhaps they thought Campus carry would pass, the one which allowed each university "Control over Dorms" so they threw those up real fast... interesting.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Could it have been a privately owned building that was bought by the university who then didn't bother to remove the 30.06 warning?
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Hoi Polloi wrote:Could it have been a privately owned building that was bought by the university who then didn't bother to remove the 30.06 warning?
I would suspect it is more than likely put there by someone at the University who doesn't know that they don't need 30.06 as they are off-limits anyway. We have the same thing at Plano schools; validly sized and worded signs at entrances to parking lots, but they are not valid because schools are government properties. They also post them at the entrances to some of the school buildings, but 30.06 is not valid there either, just the fact that premises (buildings) are off limits by statute.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Texgun

Post by Texgun »

This is a brand new building. They have not finished moving into the offices. I asked about this issue and was told that the architect that designed the entire sign package for the building included these signs as part of the package. I have seen NO other buildings with signs like this. It seems entirely believable that this explanation is accurate. The university has never been excited about posting signs like this. It is already a felony violation to bring weapons into a campus building and no signs are required to be posted.
Texgun
College Station, TX

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Thanks, Texgun. that sounds very believable to me, too.

terryg

Post by terryg »

There is one in the administration office door at Alvin High School. English and Spanish.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

txyaloo

Post by txyaloo »

This the new AGLS building? I noticed the signage last week. It's only on the main door that faces John Kimbrough which I thought was odd. None of the other doors (including the other main entrance) are posted.

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Yes, it's AGLS building, and there is also signage on the northeast entrance coming in from Lot 97.

Yesterday I contacted the "building procter" and inquired why, for appearances and potential liability sake, we were posting our ignorance of state law right up there for all to see. I also mentioned that I sure didn't want my building to be the only one with this overt (and misplaced) message.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Keith B wrote: ... We have the same thing at Plano schools; ....
During the recent school bond votes, I worked at polling stations in two different Seguin schools. Both had 30.06 signs...posted in the teacher lounges, dead center in the middle of each buildings. :confused5 ??

I think they just posted them along with all the other signs about workmen's comp, OSHA, blah blah blah..
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”