Re: SB730 - Emloyer parking lot bill being debated now

Post by Plato »

+++1 To what he said :hurry:

Locksmith
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Locksmith »

No longer valid
Last edited by Locksmith on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

No longer valid
Last edited by Locksmith on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

RandyM

Post by RandyM »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RandyM wrote:
As for the law now being on the employers' side, it has been that way since 1995. SB730 gives employers no more authority to ban firearms.

Chas.
I see it a little different.
As it is now, the company can put up a sign and say "don't bring your weapon to work", and that is the companies decision.
If anything happens to you going to and from work, and you don't have your weapon to protect you because of a company policy, then I think you would have every right to sue the company.
If this law passes, the State of Texas is telling you "don't bring your weapon to work", and now the State is protecting the employer.
I see this potential law as it is written now, worse for most CHL's then not having one at all.
The reason I say this, out of the 20 or more people that I personally know, who have CHL's, only the ones in Chemical or Refining companies are being restricted at this time.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

RandyM wrote: As it is now, the company can put up a sign and say "don't bring your weapon to work", and that is the companies decision.
If anything happens to you going to and from work, and you don't have your weapon to protect you because of a company policy, then I think you would have every right to sue the company.
If this law passes, the State of Texas is telling you "don't bring your weapon to work", and now the State is protecting the employer.
I see this potential law as it is written now, worse for most CHL's then not having one at all.
The reason I say this, out of the 20 or more people that I personally know, who have CHL's, only the ones in Chemical or Refining companies are being restricted at this time.
I noticed your location, most people who live there seem to work for NASA, the oil industry, or the CCISD Borg, those who don't tend to work for smaller industrys that don't have much for comprehensive employee policies. The rest of the real Texas has a different economy. Smalller school systems and market driven economies.

There have been a few shootings at the work place, and as near as I can tell there has never been a successful court case in which the injured has collected in a suit for being injured in a shooting at a restricted work place. There is a lot of reasons while it may never happen. The most significant reason though is pizza guys don't make enough money to afford good lawyers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RandyM wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RandyM wrote:
As for the law now being on the employers' side, it has been that way since 1995. SB730 gives employers no more authority to ban firearms.

Chas.
I see it a little different.
As it is now, the company can put up a sign and say "don't bring your weapon to work", and that is the companies decision.
Sorry, but you're mistaken. There is no cause of action in Texas based upon these facts; none whatsoever. Employers are not responsible for the illegal acts of a third party, except their own employees and even then under very limited circumstances.
RandyM wrote:If this law passes, the State of Texas is telling you "don't bring your weapon to work", and now the State is protecting the employer.
Sorry, you are mistaken again. The State of Texas is not telling employees "don't bring your weapon to work." It would be telling the vast majority of employers in the State "you cannot prohibit your employees from bring guns into your parking lots, garages, and other parking areas." It then selects a few employers and tells them "set your own policy about guns in parking lots." Absolutely no protection is given to employers who choose to prohibit guns in parking lots, but those who cannot prohibit guns in parking lots are given immunity from civil liability.
RandyM wrote:I see this potential law as it is written now, worse for most CHL's then not having one at all.
There is no basis for this assertion. SB730 protects the vast majority of employees who currently have absolutely no protection against an employer's "no gun" policies. If SB730 passes in it's current form, these employees will be able to travel to and from work, including any stops in between, with their defensive firearms. Hunters and sport shooters who are not CHLs will be able to have their guns in their cars on their employers' parking lots, so they can hunt or go target shooting before or after work. How are they worse off if SB730 passes?

Even people who work for select chemical companies that would still be able to prohibit guns in parking lots, and primary and secondary school employees, are certainly no worse off than under the current law.

I'm not happy about the exceptions that were placed in SB730, but they were necessary to get the bill out of committee. It dramatically improves the status of the vast majority of employees in Texas. I understand that those who work in the two industries that are exempt from SB730's provision are not happy and I wouldn't be happy either. But it serves no purpose to denigrate the entire bill; the 95% of Texas employees who will benefit greatly certainly wouldn't agree with that they will be worse off with passage of SB730.

Chas.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”