Do you think unlicensed Open-Carry will pass in Texas?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Will unlicensed open-carry pass in Texas in 2009?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 163

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Do you think unlicensed Open-Carry will pass in Texas?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Do you think unlicensed open-carry will pass the Texas Legislature in 2009? I'm not asking if you think it should, wish it would, or that it may pass someday. I'm just trying to find out if people think unlicensed open-carry will pass.

Chas.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do you think unlicenses Open-Carry will pass in Texas?

Post by flintknapper »

As much as I would like to see open carry in Texas, I feel it needs to be introduced smartly. I don't think now is the best political climate/time for it.

If done poorly, it could cause more harm than good.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Not this time around, and I kind of wish OpenCarry.Org would back off a little, there are other issues that I consider more important at this time, and this stuff has to be done in increments every two years.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

nope.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

ELB

Post by ELB »

Ditto, more or less. It would be a major victory to get concealed carry restrictions eliminated or seriously reduced.
Open carry is certainly not going to be that easy, and I think the effort to bring it about will be grossly counterproductive -- it will attract all the heat and light, pull time and energy away from the serious bills, and be a huge red flag that the anti-gunners will wave in the public's faces, ESPECIALLY if it is without a CHL-type hurdle.

Concealed carry in Texas has a substantial and successful track record with which to argue that reductions in the no-carry zones will not result in more problems, and can indeed increase security. Open carry does not, not here in Texas. If this is seriously pushed by anyone, not only will we end up with no open carry, we won't make any advancement in concealed carry, and could even get some reverses (e.g. for an annoyed legislator, the simplest way to solve DPS's backlog problem is to extend the turnaround times, not give them more funding and workers. Would take changing only a couple paragraphs, and presto, no more problem).
USAF 1982-2005

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

Eventually it can pass, and should, but not yet. Other things are more important IMHO
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

ldcarson

Post by ldcarson »

I hope it does. I am a CHler and I have a hard time understanding why some of us want this to fail or why "Open Carry" should back off. I think they should be going balls to the wall on this and pushing everything and everyone. Our forefathers gave us the 2A for a reason... :rules:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

While I want to see it pass, I do not see it passing this time around, especially without the support of the TSRA.

IMHO, we need to take small reasonable steps until all of chapter 46 is removed. This is not the correct tactical time to fight for this bill. It may not be a bad strategic move, as it gives a hint where we are going and is something we could use as a bargaining chip for now. Of course, it also gives the enemies a hint where we are going so they can prepare against us or use it against other issues.

I support the movement, but I would feel a lot better if they had approached the TSRA first and worked with the people who are already here and have a strong support base, along with the connections and record of working with the legislature. I think the students for concealed carry on campus have a better idea on how to work with the system.
Steve Rothstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

ldcarson wrote:I hope it does. I am a CHler and I have a hard time understanding why some of us want this to fail or why "Open Carry" should back off. I think they should be going balls to the wall on this and pushing everything and everyone. Our forefathers gave us the 2A for a reason... :rules:
LD,
I see that you are new here and probably wouldn't understand what the current goals are for gun rights and how it relates to the open carry bill.

1st, Many of us concider where we can carry to be more important than how we carry. We want to carry in schools, in our parking lots, and in all the places that LEO's can carry. We meet every 2 years and there is only so much time our legilslators will deal with these bills. Hey, there are times where I would like to be able to open carry, buts lets face it mostly the issue of open carry has little to do with safety, but rather of comfort and vanity of fashion. Allowing campus carry just might save a bunch of lives someday. We've been waiting a long time for this one, We got our Governor in agreement and the time is right. While open carry rates as nice to have, many of us see it as secondary to removing restrictions on where we can carry. Once our goal where we can carry is resolved we can focus on how we can carry , and even on removing licensing requirements.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

There is more of a chance of lord BO the most merciful of joining the Libertarian party and governing under the exact wording of the constitution than OC passing this session.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

No, not in this session. I agree with most above. We have to take small steps to reduce or eliminate the concealed carry rules and laws before we can worry about open carry.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

k5dmb

Post by k5dmb »

flintknapper wrote:As much as I would like to see open carry in Texas, I feel it needs to be introduced smartly. I don't think now is the best political climate/time for it.

If done poorly, it could cause more harm than good.
I agree. I would rather spend the effort on fixing problems with CC than perhaps causing a knee-jerk reaction by pushing for OC.

Incremental Steps
David
NRA Life Member
Semper Fi

thankGod

Post by thankGod »

I don't think it stands a chance.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

srothstein wrote:While I want to see it pass, I do not see it passing this time around, especially without the support of the TSRA.

IMHO, we need to take small reasonable steps until all of chapter 46 is removed. This is not the correct tactical time to fight for this bill. It may not be a bad strategic move, as it gives a hint where we are going and is something we could use as a bargaining chip for now. Of course, it also gives the enemies a hint where we are going so they can prepare against us or use it against other issues.

I support the movement, but I would feel a lot better if they had approached the TSRA first...
I strongly agree with Steve about what should pass (eliminate all of PC 46), versus what it likely to pass (i.e., not unlicensed open carry).

I strongly support legal, unlicensed open carry (and legal unlicensed concealed carry, for that matter). I voted "no" for the poll question as asked, because I don't believe we're likely to get unlicensed open carry in the 81st Session. At the very best, we might get licensed open carry.

As others have said, it would be best accomplished with the support of TSRA and NRA, but such support is not forthcoming. TSRA (Alice Tripp personally) reportedly told various people that any open carry bill would have to stand on its own, and would not enjoy any TSRA support.

I understand the fear that TSRA, Chas., et al., have about OC causing negative consequences regarding private property and 30.06. My response? TSRA should seek to negate those consequences by reducing the penalties to the equivalent of jaywalking. Or lower. That should be a TSRA focus regardless of any OC bill.

I support unlicensed OC and I advocated revocation of PC Chapter 46, but I don't expect either to pass.

But with over 40,000 people having signed the Texas Open Carry petition so far, I maintain hope that the politicians will listen, and give serious consideration to such a bill.

Kevin

Owens

Post by Owens »

Although there are over 40,000 signatures, it is only a small percentage of the licenses that have been issued as of 12/31/07. That number according to DPS is 288,909 (I went to recheck this number on the DPS web, but was unable to locate it now). http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless my math is wrong, there is just a little over 14% of the licensed folks who have signed, and some of them are from out of state, not licensed, etc. so the number is actually lower. I believe it will take a bit more to really grab their attention and make them turn corners, but who knows for certain?

I at one time was a strong supporter of OC come heck or high water, but nice as it may seem, it does carry (pardon pun) some negatives in the current legal picture and laws. I have come to agree and think that this (OC) may be something to work toward down the road, it would be far better to "tweak and fine-tune" what we have now, to make our current CC situation even better. Carry where LE can, parking lots, college campus, schools?etc. Later on as things settle, pursue more changes. Progressive. Steady. Positive.

Too much too soon will have a negative boomerang effect with a growth rate of 30.06 signs and maybe even more restrictions. Who knows what concessions may need be considered to get a congress critter's approval?

So...to answer the question: no.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”