Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Tom Craddick Withdraws from Speaker's Race

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have noted in a number of posts since the November elections that it will be a different day in Austin when Jan. 13th rolls around. The withdrawal of Rep. Tom Craddick from the race for Speaker of the House means we will have an entirely new Speaker this session. This makes the "day in Austin" even more different and uncertain. How much different no one knows at this point. The Speaker has tremendous power in the House. He assigns Representatives to each committee, appoints the Chairman and Vice-Chairman and he decides to which committee a bill is assigned. All of these functions are critical and have a direct and dramatic impact on our legislation as well as anti-gun legislation.

I hope we have a good session, but I will say this without hesitation, this session will not be a repeat of any of the last three, especially not a repeat of 2007. Keep the faith, stay in the fight and be ready with calls and faxes, if they become necessary. I will repeat something I say every session. Being active and involved is vitally important, but the timing of our action is even more important. The best planning in the world goes for naught, if the timing is off. While I am sure 2009 will be different, I'm not saying it will be bad, we just don't know yet.

Chas.

Douva
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Tom Craddick Withdraws from Speaker's Race

Post by Douva »

Do we know yet who are the leading contender's for the Speaker's seat?

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LarryH »

Channel 11 news (and other sources) are talking about Strauss (sp?).

Some of those sources (don't remember who) call him a RINO.

Douva
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Douva »

LarryH wrote:Channel 11 news (and other sources) are talking about Strauss (sp?).

Some of those sources (don't remember who) call him a RINO.
It looks like TSRA gives him an "A" rating. I'd rather an A+, but that's at least some comfort.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”