NRA endorses Texas Open Carry

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 4

Re: NRA endorses Texas Open Carry

Post by SA-TX »

Skiprr wrote:SA-TX, thank you.

The rhetoric I've seen to date from OpenCarry.org has been single-minded, obstinate, and argumentative.

Convince OpenCarry.org that you need to assume the role of national spokesperson.

Without a thoughtful, measured voice before the public, OpenCarry.org stands to do more harm than good. And it stands also to alienate tens of thousands of Texas concealed handgun licensees, hunters, and recreational shooters who have fought and voted for the Texas laws we have today.

We can't afford to move backward in the 81st legislature. Our firearm laws have been moving appreciably forward in every legislative session for almost two decades.

Despite the over-zealous opinion of a Virginia law student (or two) we in Texas enjoy some of the most firearm-friendly laws and privileges in the United States. And that's thanks to dedicated folks like Charles Cotton, Joe Driver, Jim Dark, Alice Tripp, and others.

Skiprr,

Thank you for the kind words but you give me too much credit and, perhaps, the good folks at OpenCarry.org too little. As I mentioned, I think there has been a lack of perspective from all camps at times. Yes, some of the more staunch folks advocate for nothing less than Vermont/Alaska style freedom. On the other hand, some Texas gun owners seem to think that as long as the legislature hasn't taken away their shotgun or 30.06, all is well. Unlike either of those those groups, I think the overwhelming majority of members at OCDO, VCDL, NRA-ILA, GOA, and the this website, to name a few, are a mix of idealist and pragmatist. They know what the 2A should mean but understand that we didn't get where we are overnight and we won't fix it in a day either. If Charles and others didn't have some amount of Don Quitxote in them, how could they have taken on Ann Richards, Jim Mattox, and others who continued to move Texas in the wrong direction. After 100 something years, few seemed ready to do the work necessary to change it. Given that display of idealism -- that Texas really could have a strong, shall-issue CHL system -- I completely understand the realism about what we could get done each session since. Our task is to channel our energies and compromise/horse trade when we must, but also never give up the dream because that's what drives us forward. Remember, Alaska isn't like Vermont, which has never had any carry laws. A CHL system was created and, even more recently, it was made optional so that carry -- concealed or openly -- is legal without government sanction. It can be done.

I assure you that Col. Stollenwerk (the "overzealous law student" to whom you refer) is a much better spokesman than I would be. While he may not be well-versed in Texas politics, we should teach him. He has been a very dedicated 2A advocate for many years including having been a plantiff in a federal case in Pennsylvania that got their SSN requirement removed for LTCF applications. My point isn't to defend him or anyone else but to ask that all 2A supporters work together as much as possible. As I have been a member and supporter of this group, Packing.org (before its demise) as well as OpenCarry.org, I would encourage those of you who think that OCDO should approach the issue differently to join and make your opinions heard. There is no monolith, Borg-like control over there. Everyone gets to have their say and activities don't happen without local support. :thumbs2:

In addition to speaking up, however, I hope you'll listen too. If you do, you'll see that very direct "in your face" advocacy seems to work well in "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire. In Virginia, public officials and police agencies have been held accountable for their occasional line crossing by VCDL. GeorgiaCarry has been very successful in using Georgia and federal law to correct abuses there. In Ohio, local ordinances and arrests have been successfully challenged and a favorable OH Supreme Court ruling was obtained. In WA, revised bulletins have been issued to make officers more aware of the fact that open carry is legal and how to handle encounters with open carriers. Even in California, believe it or not, there are directives being issued by DAs and police departments very recently that finally admit that CA statutes and appeals court rulings confirm that unloaded (but ammo can be close by) open carry in incorporated cities is perfectly legal and that, once no violation of the unloaded rule is found, federal Terry stop case law instructs that the person must be released without unreasonable delay.

Again, I am not suggesting that these strategies are the right ones for Texas. I am simply asking those who are not familiar with these activities to educate themselves about their impact and effectiveness in the given environment. I trust Charles and the others who have been doing the heavy lifing here for many years. I am confident that they are doing things the right way. That doesn't mean that the others are wrong in their localities.

Texas can't afford fighting amonst pro-gun groups. If OCDO needs a better bill, let's all work to make it happen. If they need to be educated as to the political realities here, I'm all for that. If Rep. Riddle's bill is the best game in town, so be it. Let's not criticize each other but rather work to make the other's pro-2A projects a reality. We all stand to gain, or lose.

It is hard to get 50,000 signatures in Texas for anything. It maybe a record (total speculation -- feel free to correct me). Regardless, it is darn impressive in a relatively short period of time. The money raised for the radio, taxi, and billboard ads are from the grass roots. As far as I know, there is no big foundation or multimillionaire funding the operation. The money comes from Texans and others across the nation who want to help. The fact is, OCDO has a very heavy concentration of Texans so don't be fooled by its Virginia headquarters. Col. Stollenwerk owns a house near Fort Hood from when he was stationed there. The spokesmodel, Lori, is from Houston. The petition founder, Ian, lives in Texas and I do not believe he was even associated with OCDO when he placed it online. To a surprising extent, you are talking about fellow Texans when you talk about OCDO, especially if you are talking about activities here. They have all been locally coordinated. :txflag:

My request to all Texas gun owners is get in the game and support all reasonable pro-2A initiatives. I'm not a hunter, but I assure you I support the rights of sportsmen. I don't own a .50 caliber gun but I would be 100% against any ban legislation as is happening elsewhere. Please be generous with your support even if you will not necessarily benefit. There is great debate about the virtues of concealed carry versus open carry and even many OC supporters aren't sure they would avail themselves of the option, once legal. The key is that they would have a choice. We know there are many CHL holders who don't carry regularly -- but they can if they want to. Isn't that really what we all want? The freedom to approach these issues as adults and make decisions.

I hope all will join me in supporting the fine work of Charles but also of others in the community. Less :boxing = better :fire in Texas. :biggrinjester:

SA-TX

Topic author
Conagher
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Conagher »

Great response SA-TX! :clapping:

Now, if we can get one of the TexasCHLforum.com regulars to go over to OpenCarry.org and post a similar message, maybe we can start closing the gap and become one team! :thewave

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Locksmith wrote:Chas,
Just wanted to let you know, that as a result of your explaining to me TSRA's reason for not supporting open carry movement at this time, I have changed my view and my family just joined TSRA.
I also used the new website "http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/" to accomplish this as well.
Thanks for the post. Let's face it, most disagreements are the result of a misunderstanding or lack of information.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

ELB wrote:Mr. Cotton -- a tangential question.

You wrote above:

"The two top priority bills this session are employer parking lots and campus-carry."

+1 to both of those (or is that +2?). However, will there be any movement on eliminating some or all of the other "no-go" zones for CHL holders? I have been waiting to see what popped up in the legislative part of this site, figuring it is a bit early yet, but since you identified the two priority bills, I thought I'd go ahead an ask...?
An honest answer is I don't know. I wrote the bill and it's ready to go, but with the situation in the House unsettled, we don't know what is going to be realistic this session. The new Speaker could decide to leave all committee assignments, including chairmanships, intact, or he would shuffle everything. If he makes significant changes, then it's a new ballgame.

Since it's my bill, I can assure you I'll be looking for an opportunity to have it filed, but certain criteria must be met or it will be futile.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SA-TX wrote:
Skiprr wrote:SA-TX, thank you.

The rhetoric I've seen to date from OpenCarry.org has been single-minded, obstinate, and argumentative.

Convince OpenCarry.org that you need to assume the role of national spokesperson.

Without a thoughtful, measured voice before the public, OpenCarry.org stands to do more harm than good. And it stands also to alienate tens of thousands of Texas concealed handgun licensees, hunters, and recreational shooters who have fought and voted for the Texas laws we have today.

We can't afford to move backward in the 81st legislature. Our firearm laws have been moving appreciably forward in every legislative session for almost two decades.

Despite the over-zealous opinion of a Virginia law student (or two) we in Texas enjoy some of the most firearm-friendly laws and privileges in the United States. And that's thanks to dedicated folks like Charles Cotton, Joe Driver, Jim Dark, Alice Tripp, and others.

Skiprr,

Thank you for the kind words but you give me too much credit and, perhaps, the good folks at OpenCarry.org too little. As I mentioned, I think there has been a lack of perspective from all camps at times. Yes, some of the more staunch folks advocate for nothing less than Vermont/Alaska style freedom. On the other hand, some Texas gun owners seem to think that as long as the legislature hasn't taken away their shotgun or 30.06, all is well. Unlike either of those those groups, I think the overwhelming majority of members at OCDO, VCDL, NRA-ILA, GOA, and the this website, to name a few, are a mix of idealist and pragmatist. They know what the 2A should mean but understand that we didn't get where we are overnight and we won't fix it in a day either. If Charles and others didn't have some amount of Don Quitxote in them, how could they have taken on Ann Richards, Jim Mattox, and others who continued to move Texas in the wrong direction. After 100 something years, few seemed ready to do the work necessary to change it. Given that display of idealism -- that Texas really could have a strong, shall-issue CHL system -- I completely understand the realism about what we could get done each session since. Our task is to channel our energies and compromise/horse trade when we must, but also never give up the dream because that's what drives us forward. Remember, Alaska isn't like Vermont, which has never had any carry laws. A CHL system was created and, even more recently, it was made optional so that carry -- concealed or openly -- is legal without government sanction. It can be done.

I assure you that Col. Stollenwerk (the "overzealous law student" to whom you refer) is a much better spokesman than I would be. While he may not be well-versed in Texas politics, we should teach him. He has been a very dedicated 2A advocate for many years including having been a plantiff in a federal case in Pennsylvania that got their SSN requirement removed for LTCF applications. My point isn't to defend him or anyone else but to ask that all 2A supporters work together as much as possible. As I have been a member and supporter of this group, Packing.org (before its demise) as well as OpenCarry.org, I would encourage those of you who think that OCDO should approach the issue differently to join and make your opinions heard. There is no monolith, Borg-like control over there. Everyone gets to have their say and activities don't happen without local support. :thumbs2:

In addition to speaking up, however, I hope you'll listen too. If you do, you'll see that very direct "in your face" advocacy seems to work well in "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire. In Virginia, public officials and police agencies have been held accountable for their occasional line crossing by VCDL. GeorgiaCarry has been very successful in using Georgia and federal law to correct abuses there. In Ohio, local ordinances and arrests have been successfully challenged and a favorable OH Supreme Court ruling was obtained. In WA, revised bulletins have been issued to make officers more aware of the fact that open carry is legal and how to handle encounters with open carriers. Even in California, believe it or not, there are directives being issued by DAs and police departments very recently that finally admit that CA statutes and appeals court rulings confirm that unloaded (but ammo can be close by) open carry in incorporated cities is perfectly legal and that, once no violation of the unloaded rule is found, federal Terry stop case law instructs that the person must be released without unreasonable delay.

Again, I am not suggesting that these strategies are the right ones for Texas. I am simply asking those who are not familiar with these activities to educate themselves about their impact and effectiveness in the given environment. I trust Charles and the others who have been doing the heavy lifing here for many years. I am confident that they are doing things the right way. That doesn't mean that the others are wrong in their localities.

Texas can't afford fighting amonst pro-gun groups. If OCDO needs a better bill, let's all work to make it happen. If they need to be educated as to the political realities here, I'm all for that. If Rep. Riddle's bill is the best game in town, so be it. Let's not criticize each other but rather work to make the other's pro-2A projects a reality. We all stand to gain, or lose.

It is hard to get 50,000 signatures in Texas for anything. It maybe a record (total speculation -- feel free to correct me). Regardless, it is darn impressive in a relatively short period of time. The money raised for the radio, taxi, and billboard ads are from the grass roots. As far as I know, there is no big foundation or multimillionaire funding the operation. The money comes from Texans and others across the nation who want to help. The fact is, OCDO has a very heavy concentration of Texans so don't be fooled by its Virginia headquarters. Col. Stollenwerk owns a house near Fort Hood from when he was stationed there. The spokesmodel, Lori, is from Houston. The petition founder, Ian, lives in Texas and I do not believe he was even associated with OCDO when he placed it online. To a surprising extent, you are talking about fellow Texans when you talk about OCDO, especially if you are talking about activities here. They have all been locally coordinated. :txflag:

My request to all Texas gun owners is get in the game and support all reasonable pro-2A initiatives. I'm not a hunter, but I assure you I support the rights of sportsmen. I don't own a .50 caliber gun but I would be 100% against any ban legislation as is happening elsewhere. Please be generous with your support even if you will not necessarily benefit. There is great debate about the virtues of concealed carry versus open carry and even many OC supporters aren't sure they would avail themselves of the option, once legal. The key is that they would have a choice. We know there are many CHL holders who don't carry regularly -- but they can if they want to. Isn't that really what we all want? The freedom to approach these issues as adults and make decisions.

I hope all will join me in supporting the fine work of Charles but also of others in the community. Less :boxing = better :fire in Texas. :biggrinjester:

SA-TX
I too wish you had a leadership role in the open-carry movement in Texas. You are a true statesman and your approach would go a long way to achieving the goal of open-carry. I also appreciate your plea for unity among all gun owners. This is always important, but with an Obama administration for at least four years and a markedly different Texas House of Representatives this session, it is absolutely critical!

As for expressing thoughts from the loyal opposition on OpenCarry.org, I intended to do precisely that several weeks ago. However, as Skiprr said, it appears that anyone who doesn't espouse either the goal or the methods of achieving them isn't welcome. Just as an example, there is a current thread on OpenCarry.org in the Texas section entitled "Arguments against the idiots." The original poster then offers responses to concerns that many people have about open-carry in Texas. That's more than just an insulting title, it's a pervasive attitude that shuns even words of caution, not to mention loyal opposition. I learned a lot from your post about OpenCarry.org's success in other states, primarily in law enforcement and judicial arenas. Perhaps I would have learned it sooner if there was not such a hostile attitude at OpenCarry.org that makes me feel about as welcome as Sarah Brady would be in my office. (I can also state that the NRA has had to clean up problems that were created when in-your-face tactics failed and caused actual or potential problems for gun owners.)

Another example of the attitude expressed by many OpenCarry.org supporters can be seen here on TexasCHLforum.com. Someone posted an article a few months ago setting out OpenCarry.org's plan to file their own bill. (I can't recall where the article was originally published.) The article went on to say that if a bill sponsor couldn't be found, OpenCarry.org would just amend another bill to add their provisions. I responded to the post pointing out that I hoped that was just "interview rhetoric" and not a real plan of action. With the stringent germane rule in Texas, it would be one of our bills that was amended and we (TSRA/NRA) would be forced to oppose the amendments to protect our own bills. A TexasCHLforum member who also posts on OpenCarry.org responded to my post saying the "not to worry" the decision was made not to amend any other bills. He went on to say, "This decision was not because of your threats. Wanted to let you know that you haven't scared anyone, OK?" Why make such a snotty response? As I noted in a later post, I wasn't trying to scare anyone, I was being open and candid about protecting our own bills and in so doing was providing valuable information to the OpenCarry.org folks. Would open-carry supporters have preferred not to have this information and then be blindsided if they did try to amend one of our bills? Open-carry supporters would really be screaming "treachery!" (Just as an aside, if one of our bills has a problem, we very rarely try to amend its provisions to one our own bills. It runs the risk of losing two bills instead of one. Yes, we've done it in the past, but only rarely and then only when the issue is absolutely critical.)

Your call for unity is one every gun owner should heed. We must understand that we will never agree on every issue, the sequence in which we try to achieve our goals, or perhaps even the methods we use. But attacking fellow Second Amendment supporters invokes the warning given in the Scriptures that a divided house must fall, and it puts a smile on Sarah Brady's face.

Chas.

quidni
Posts in topic: 1

Post by quidni »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I think some people feel that Alice Tripp, James Dark and I put our personal opinions ahead of the organizational goals and that simply isn't true. If it were true, I would have pushed a number of different issues over the last two sessions. I have very strong reservations about the backlash I believe we will see, if open-carry passes. However, if the TSRA membership wants us to take on this issue, then I'll put my personal concerns aside and I'll work hard to get it passed.
Would that all our duly-elected representatives, at every level, held themselves to that level of personal ethic and accountability!

You rock, sir! :txflag:

Personally, I think OC would be great... but I'm not convinced that it should be Priority One right now. I want to see all of our 2nd Amendment rights restored, but we didn't lose them all at once and it may not be expedient to push for an all-at-once restoration. When it comes to shaping rock, sometimes the drip is better than the dynamite.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: ...

I too wish you had a leadership role in the open-carry movement in Texas. You are a true statesman and your approach would go a long way to achieving the goal of open-carry. I also appreciate your plea for unity among all gun owners. This is always important, but with an Obama administration for at least four years and a markedly different Texas House of Representatives this session, it is absolutely critical!

As for expressing thoughts from the loyal opposition on OpenCarry.org, I intended to do precisely that several weeks ago. However, as Skiprr said, it appears that anyone who doesn't espouse either the goal or the methods of achieving them isn't welcome. Just as an example, there is a current thread on OpenCarry.org in the Texas section entitled "Arguments against the idiots." The original poster then offers responses to concerns that many people have about open-carry in Texas. That's more than just an insulting title, it's a pervasive attitude that shuns even words of caution, not to mention loyal opposition. I learned a lot from your post about OpenCarry.org's success in other states, primarily in law enforcement and judicial arenas. Perhaps I would have learned it sooner if there was not such a hostile attitude at OpenCarry.org that makes me feel about as welcome as Sarah Brady would be in my office. (I can also state that the NRA has had to clean up problems that were created when in-your-face tactics failed and caused actual or potential problems for gun owners.)

Another example of the attitude expressed by many OpenCarry.org supporters can be seen here on TexasCHLforum.com. Someone posted an article a few months ago setting out OpenCarry.org's plan to file their own bill. (I can't recall where the article was originally published.) The article went on to say that if a bill sponsor couldn't be found, OpenCarry.org would just amend another bill to add their provisions. I responded to the post pointing out that I hoped that was just "interview rhetoric" and not a real plan of action. With the stringent germane rule in Texas, it would be one of our bills that was amended and we (TSRA/NRA) would be forced to oppose the amendments to protect our own bills. A TexasCHLforum member who also posts on OpenCarry.org responded to my post saying the "not to worry" the decision was made not to amend any other bills. He went on to say, "This decision was not because of your threats. Wanted to let you know that you haven't scared anyone, OK?" Why make such a snotty response? As I noted in a later post, I wasn't trying to scare anyone, I was being open and candid about protecting our own bills and in so doing was providing valuable information to the OpenCarry.org folks. Would open-carry supporters have preferred not to have this information and then be blindsided if they did try to amend one of our bills? Open-carry supporters would really be screaming "treachery!" (Just as an aside, if one of our bills has a problem, we very rarely try to amend its provisions to one our own bills. It runs the risk of losing two bills instead of one. Yes, we've done it in the past, but only rarely and then only when the issue is absolutely critical.)

Your call for unity is one every gun owner should heed. We must understand that we will never agree on every issue, the sequence in which we try to achieve our goals, or perhaps even the methods we use. But attacking fellow Second Amendment supporters invokes the warning given in the Scriptures that a divided house must fall, and it puts a smile on Sarah Brady's face.

Chas.
Charles, I can tell you from other threads on OCDO that Mike Stollenwerk would be very unlikely to try to amend your bill or anyone elses. I don't know the who you corresponded with but only Mike and John (I forget his full name at the moment) officially speak for OCDO. Regardless, I agree that even members need to be courteous and respectful in communicating with others. Sadly, in Internet forums of all types, this is occasionally not observed. You've certainly had to remind a few of the rules a time or two.

The reason I am convinced they wouldn't is that in working with VCDL, their saying in Richmond is "get yer own bill" and he has quoted this on many occasions. In fact, he told fellow OCDO members this when they wanted to use the open carry bill as a "fix everything that's wrong with TX firearms laws" catch-all. He preached the need for a narrow, simple bill. That it amended too many sections due to germaness is something I'm sure he was unaware of. Again, good intent but ignorant of some important features of our political landscape.

As for being unwelcome on OCDO, the vocal few can be loud at times. Nevertheless, they need help to accomplish their goal in Texas. It is precisely because they are an upstart, grass-roots outfit that we see the lack of polish and perspective. You really are dealing with average Texans who work a regular job but due to their interest and willingness, give radio interviews when reporters call or have their picture put in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. It isn't a professional operation, but that's not a reason to shun it. That is a reason to HELP it.

50,000 Texans aren't wrong. Open carry is a idea whose time has come. If you would have told me six months ago that Governor Perry, Land Commissioner Patterson, Suzanna Hupp and others would go on the record as supporing open carry (licensed, perhaps, but still open carry), I wouldn't have believed it. OCDO simply promoted something that most 2A-supporting Texans can easily identify with -- less hassles to carry -- and publicized how out of touch Texas law is with the rest of the country. (Yes, "legal" and "widely practiced" are two different things, but I digress.) Initiative was taken. People were excited. Folks sent in checks and pretty soon radio ads, taxies, and billboards swept across Texas. When was the last time something like that took place when it truly was something coordinated by average citizens with very little political experience? The governor and the others HAD to go on the record because constitutients were writing to them and news outlets were calling.

Yes, some adult supervision may be needed over there at times so lets provide it. I don't care who gets credit as long as Texas gun owners win. The publicity and high-profile support (at least in principle) should expedite some of the usual trial balloons you launch to gauge palatability. Most of the politicians that you'll be working with have probably already been asked about open carry if not taken a position on it. OCDO made open carry an issue in Texas by raising awareness in an unprecedented way. If that is to be their role, that of the runner who leave the blocks well, and some other group can take the baton and finish the race, I'll be a happy man. Charles, please do not let the efforts of many fail due to political clumsiness or a few intemperate posts. You are in a unique position to do a great service for the people of Texas. You may not have given birth to this idea or initally nursed it, but you are in the position to give it the best chance of success!

SA-TX

Topic author
Conagher
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Conagher »

Another excellent post SA-TX.

Chas,

While not quite as articulate or linguistic as SA-TX, I would like to summarize what I consider some critical points:

• Anyone who appreciates the American spirit cannot help but admire the magnitude of visibility brought about by common citizens in a grass roots efforts to restore the 2A freedoms of all Texans in a relatively short period of time. I do not know the founding history of the TSRA, but can imagine it too was initiated with the same spirit, courage, passion and audacity as currently experienced at OCDO. Through necessity TSRA has no doubt become more structured and pragmatic, which is typical of the maturing life cycle of any surviving organization. However, the underlying spirit and passion so critical during creation should be nurtured to ensure maximum life expectancy of the institute.

• My belief is the “he said, she said” defensive argument is futile in a forum where everyone has a voice. There is amble evidence on all sides that could be cussed and discussed, and batted back and forth, but to no real avail. It should be expected on a public forum that not all participants would have knowledge, experience or even respect for proper political etiquette. The value of diversity is harvested from these debates and discussions; even the expressions that appear to some as “out in left field” has value in forming perspectives. Recorded sessions provide evidence enough that even our most experienced legislative debaters can become outlandish on a passionate issue. But that behavior in and of itself is not sufficient evidence to dismiss the validity of an idea.

• I truly believe there is synergy to be gained in this situation. The instant credibility that would be achieved by endorsement from a highly respected institution like TSRA would be invaluable to the OCDO cause; and I’m sure as evident to you as to me. And on the other hand, just look at the potential energetic support that TSRA could harvest to further their current and future agendas. The passion, energy, excitement and legislative visibility that has been generated by this grass roots effort in a relatively short period of time has to be the covet of any serious political action group.

Thanks and Have a nice day!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SA-TX wrote:Charles, please do not let the efforts of many fail due to political clumsiness or a few intemperate posts. You are in a unique position to do a great service for the people of Texas. You may not have given birth to this idea or initally nursed it, but you are in the position to give it the best chance of success!

SA-TX
You give me far too much credit and authority; I wish I had that much impact on the Texas Legislature. If I did, there wouldn't be anything related to guns left to do and I could work on other things.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SA-TX wrote:The reason I am convinced they wouldn't is that in working with VCDL, their saying in Richmond is "get yer own bill" and he has quoted this on many occasions. In fact, he told fellow OCDO members this when they wanted to use the open carry bill as a "fix everything that's wrong with TX firearms laws" catch-all. He preached the need for a narrow, simple bill. That it amended too many sections due to germaness is something I'm sure he was unaware of. Again, good intent but ignorant of some important features of our political landscape.
I'm very happy to hear that Mr. Stollenwerk is now taking this position, since it was he that said OCDO would amend their provisions to a "mainstream bill." He was quoted as saying this in a Fort Worth paper, Star-Telegram.com. Here is a link to the post quoting the article From your post, he now understands the potential negative impact an amendment can have on a bill, when the protection of the Texas germane rule is lost.

Chas.

Here is Mr. Stollenwerk's statement on a possible amendment:
Mike Stollenwerk wrote:Campaign asks Texans to support open-carry law for handguns
By ANNA M. TINSLEY
atinsley@star-telegram.com

. . .

Stollenwerk said a draft of a bill to allow open carry in Texas has been prepared.

While several Texas lawmakers have said they’ll support such a bill, none have stepped up to carry it.

"This is crunchtime before the session starts," Stollenwerk said. "If no legislator steps forward, we will try to amend a bill midstream to get it in somewhere."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Here is a clarification on the NRA's position on open carry. This is the official position of the NRA and it is presented to avoid any confusion that may have recently arisen.

Chas.

"We support the right of law-abiding persons to carry a firearm for all lawful purposes in the manner of their choosing, consistent with existing laws." - NRA

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
SA-TX wrote:The reason I am convinced they wouldn't is that in working with VCDL, their saying in Richmond is "get yer own bill" and he has quoted this on many occasions. In fact, he told fellow OCDO members this when they wanted to use the open carry bill as a "fix everything that's wrong with TX firearms laws" catch-all. He preached the need for a narrow, simple bill. That it amended too many sections due to germaness is something I'm sure he was unaware of. Again, good intent but ignorant of some important features of our political landscape.
I'm very happy to hear that Mr. Stollenwerk is now taking this position, since it was he that said OCDO would amend their provisions to a "mainstream bill." He was quoted as saying this in a Fort Worth paper, Star-Telegram.com. Here is a link to the post quoting the article From your post, he now understands the potential negative impact an amendment can have on a bill, when the protection of the Texas germane rule is lost.

Chas.

Here is Mr. Stollenwerk's statement on a possible amendment:
Mike Stollenwerk wrote:Campaign asks Texans to support open-carry law for handguns
By ANNA M. TINSLEY
atinsley@star-telegram.com

. . .

Stollenwerk said a draft of a bill to allow open carry in Texas has been prepared.

While several Texas lawmakers have said they’ll support such a bill, none have stepped up to carry it.

"This is crunchtime before the session starts," Stollenwerk said. "If no legislator steps forward, we will try to amend a bill midstream to get it in somewhere."
Yes, that is a contridiction. That's why I wouldn't be a good spokesman or politician -- I don't like saying one thing privately (or as privately as an Internet forum can be) and something else publically. :biggrinjester: I guess we'll see what he does. So long as SOME Texas legislator introduces a bill we have something to work with. With bills to be introduced in Arkansas and SC, it would be a terrible shame if Texas doesn't have one given that we started the ball rolling.

SA-TX

jamcgowan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jamcgowan »

I am a new member...just joined today....

May I say that the courtesy and gentlemanly manner in which this topic has been discussed, makes me proud to be a Texas Gun Owner.

I am a member of the NRA, TSRA, and OCDO. I am a legally armed citizen and have encouraged my oldest daughter (now pregnant with her 2nd), to obtain her CHL (I purchased her a S&W M&P 9mm for Christmas). :woohoo

What else can I do to promote 2nd Amend. issues here in Texas? I'm no lawyer, just a humble pastor, but I am ready to become more active. I just need direction. :txflag:

TIA
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

cling
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cling »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Here is a clarification on the NRA's position on open carry. This is the official position of the NRA and it is presented to avoid any confusion that may have recently arisen.

Chas.

"We support the right of law-abiding persons to carry a firearm for all lawful purposes in the manner of their choosing, consistent with existing laws." - NRA
Does that include unconstitutional laws?
Better. Not Bitter.

ninjamedic2293
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

Really Cling? . . . Seriously? This is the attitude that is going to set us us back 20 years.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”