License carrying

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

particle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: License carrying

Post by particle »

I think they should remain separate. But, I would like my CHL to also contain any additional information that is shown on my driver's license.

Last night I took my kids on a bike ride. I had exercising shorts on, and didn't want to tote my entire wallet along. I stuck my gun in a pack mounted to my handle bars. I decided to keep my license(s) on my person, so I stuck them both in my pocket. Yeah, it's not a huge inconvenience, but it sure would be nice in situations like that to only have to carry one piece of plastic.

It was dark, so I was carrying:

Gun
Flashlight
Spare AA batteries (have to use my flashlight at the parks so my kids can see to play, and my headlight on my bike uses AA batteries)
Garage door opener
Cell phone
Water bottle
Driver's license
CHL license
Water bottles for kids

I wanted to carry a spare magazine, but I didn't have any where to carry it.

Anyway, the point is - why not make the CHL a suitable alternative to carrying both licenses. For privacy - carry both so you can present the driver's license. For convenience, carry the CHL if you're not planning on handing over your driver's license to a clerk.
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
RolandB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RolandB »

Excellent points. You encountered the 'one document' environment as appropriate! I like the concept of allowing the CHL to be the 'single card' option! I haven't personally found myself not wanting anyone to know I have a CHL! When you have different dates of expiration, the single appears to present a problem. On the other hand, I believe your license presentation to law enforcement will cause a query to be made if you present your license! NO exception! Law enforcement jumps on real-time inquiry... are you legal? Has your license been suspended? Have you been in trouble? I'd like to believe most people are okay! Those with exceptions... well, better keep them with two separate cards. For the majority, give us a single card that can cover CHL and Driver's License! Sure, there are people that don't want much information to be known by anyone... that's an exceptional life and I'm sorry. One credit/debit card, CHL/Driver's License, and some cash and your pocket is simple! Us occasional traffic problem children would still rather not have to worry about having to have two cards even when stopped for a vehicle management trauma! I still can't imagine a person not wanted to be known as a carrier!

tarkus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tarkus »

particle wrote:Anyway, the point is - why not make the CHL a suitable alternative to carrying both licenses.
If someone isn't carrying a handgun they shouldn't have to carry a CHL and if someone isn't driving they shouldn't have to carry a DL. Even better is to get rid of the requirement to carry the plastic, just like a peace officer can legally carry off duty anywhere in Texas without carrying a peace officer license. There may be some hassle while the on duty DPS trooper in Amarillo verifies the vacationer from Houston is legally entitled to carry, but the "crime" should be the same whether the vacationer is a deputy or a doctor with a CHL.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”