Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Support SB730 - Call now

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As already discussed, Sen. Hegar filed SB730 a/k/a the "employer parking lot" bill. Please call and/or fax your senator and ask him/her to co-author or co-sponsor SB730. Emails are easily ignored and not nearly as effective as faxes and phone calls. Faxes generate a stack of paper and phone calls are logged by most Senators.

You might want to mention the following very briefly:
  • SB 730 does not prevent an employer from keeping guns out of the workplace; it only applies to cars locked in the parking lot;

SB 730 provides employers immunity from civil liability for any injury or damage that may result from storage of firearms in locked vehicles, unless the employer is grossly negligent.

SB 730 allows employers to prohibit firearms in a parking area, if the parking lot is not accessible to the general public and the employer provides alternative parking for employees. Or the employer can opt to provide a place to lock up an unloaded firearm. This provision is especially useful to the petrochemical industry and any other business needing to protect sensitive areas.

SB 730 would not apply to company-owned vehicles, nor would it allow storage of firearms in vehicles parked on property where the possession of firearms is prohibited under state or federal law.
Please, do not contact every Senator; just your own! There is no reason to bombard the entire Senate at this point. Remember, the Senate passed an employer parking lot bill last session. Here is a link to a list of Senators and phone numbers: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/ ... ?Chamber=S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is our first opportunity to get involved this session, so let's have a good turnout. I'll hear about the impact of calls and faxes and I'll pass that along.

Thanks,
Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Support SB730 - Call now

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As already discussed, Sen. Hegar filed SB730 a/k/a the "employer parking lot" bill. Please call and/or fax your senator and ask him/her to co-author or co-sponsor SB730. Emails are easily ignored and not nearly as effective as faxes and phone calls. Faxes generate a stack of paper and phone calls are logged by most Senators.

You might want to mention the following very briefly:
  • SB 730 does not prevent an employer from keeping guns out of the workplace; it only applies to cars locked in the parking lot;

SB 730 provides employers immunity from civil liability for any injury or damage that may result from storage of firearms in locked vehicles, unless the employer is grossly negligent.

SB 730 allows employers to prohibit firearms in a parking area, if the parking lot is not accessible to the general public and the employer provides alternative parking for employees. Or the employer can opt to provide a place to lock up an unloaded firearm. This provision is especially useful to the petrochemical industry and any other business needing to protect sensitive areas.

SB 730 would not apply to company-owned vehicles, nor would it allow storage of firearms in vehicles parked on property where the possession of firearms is prohibited under state or federal law.
Please, do not contact every Senator; just your own! There is no reason to bombard the entire Senate at this point. Remember, the Senate passed an employer parking lot bill last session. Here is a link to a list of Senators and phone numbers: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/ ... ?Chamber=S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is our first opportunity to get involved this session, so let's have a good turnout. I'll hear about the impact of calls and faxes and I'll pass that along.

Thanks,
Chas.
Charles,

I tried to find the ratings list for our Senators on the TSRA website, but couldn't. They even have taken down the voting guide listing those that were running for office last election.

Is there a soft copy list of the ratings available for our legislators? It might be helpful to know how your Representative feels about the RKBA before sending them an email. It can help with the tone of the email to understand if they are on our side or not when writing them.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Sen Wentworth called.
USAF 1982-2005

Luggo1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Luggo1 »

Sen. Duncan called, his staff will respond whether he supports it or not.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Sen Shapiro called.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

Emails sent will call tomorrow. I am alerting the women from my women's classes and the and Amendment Club at our local College. This should give a contact list of about 300 people. I hope at least 25% will contact their Senators.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Kyle Brown

Post by Kyle Brown »

I spoke with Sen. Troy Fraser's office this morning. All indications are he will support the bill.
Texas CHL Instructor
Paralegal Division-State Bar Of Texas
NREMT

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

I just spoke with Florence Shapiro's office and voiced my support.

I was told that currently they don't know the senator's position on the bill, but that she is generally in support of pro handgun related legislation as long as there isn't anyhting hidden in the bill.

I'll check back in a couple of days.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

ninjamedic2293

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

Spoke with Jeff Wentworth's office today, the young lady that I spoke with that handles those types of questions stated that she believed that he would support the bill however she had not had a chance to speak with him about it. I am going to be faxing them a letter as well.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Done.
Byron Dickens

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

ScubaSigGuy wrote:I just spoke with Florence Shapiro's office and voiced my support.

I was told that currently they don't know the senator's position on the bill, but that she is generally in support of pro handgun related legislation as long as there isn't anyhting hidden in the bill.

She's my senator; and I'll call her office on Monday. I've already emailed (I know it's useless) but I will call on monday, as I have the day off.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

nitrogen wrote:
ScubaSigGuy wrote:I just spoke with Florence Shapiro's office and voiced my support.

She's my senator; and I'll call her office on Monday. I've already emailed (I know it's useless) but I will call on monday, as I have the day off.
Federal holiday, so I doubt there will be anyone in the office.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The legislature did something unusual this year and is closing for the holiday. All state employees are off (except those ho work critical shift work). Usually during the session, the legislature stays in session and the state goes to skeleton crews in the offices. Given the delays in getting the committee assignments worked out, I was really surprised they took the holiday off. There are going to be a lot of bills killed at the end of the session due to time limits.
Steve Rothstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Russell wrote:Maybe they need their pay cut for slacking :thumbs2:
Good idea. Don't pay them their $600 bucks this month.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”