Campus-Carry Bills Filed Today

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Codename46
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Campus-Carry Bills Filed Today

Post by Codename46 »

Any takers on what the odds of this bill passing would be?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Mine would be 3:2 but I have no more insite than anyone else.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Douva
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Douva »

I couldn't get any of the major Texas newspapers to carry my latest op-ed, but it's in the University of North Texas student newspaper:

http://www.ntdaily.com/media/storage/pa ... 8531.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As typically happens with op-eds, the paper picked a title that doesn't really capture what the article is about. The editors made a couple of relatively minor editorial changes to the article (one is kind of confusing; I'll let you try to spot it on your own), but they didn't butcher it, so I'm relatively pleased that it at least got published somewhere. Trying to get pro-gun op-eds published in mainstream news publications can be a daunting task.

If you want to see the sources of the statistics used, they're cited in the "SCCC Handbook: Texas Edition."

dontshakepandas

Post by dontshakepandas »

Just read and commented on the article. As a CHL holder and a student at UNT, I really appreciate your effort. Some of the anti comments so far do not surprise me. Some of these people are so clueless to what is going on around them.

getusumtx

Post by getusumtx »

Like few other members have done, I have also submitted an op-ed to the UT@ Arlington school paper. The Editorial staff attempted to chop my article to pieces, and I had to fight tooth an nail for almost every stat i mentioned. Somehow stating the number of murders declined by 17% after the CHL law was passed in texas was an inaccurate statement(2022 in 94/ 1693 in 95). Check out the article for yourself along with there opposing argument here:

http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud College Student/VP of the College Republicans/Iraq war Veteran

Douva

Post by Douva »

getusumtx wrote:Like few other members have done, I have also submitted an op-ed to the UT@ Arlington school paper. The Editorial staff attempted to chop my article to pieces, and I had to fight tooth an nail for almost every stat i mentioned. Somehow stating the number of murders declined by 17% after the CHL law was passed in texas was an inaccurate statement(2022 in 94/ 1693 in 95). Check out the article for yourself along with there opposing argument here:

http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, the obvious problem with that stat is that Texas didn't start issuing CHLs until '96.

getusumtx

Post by getusumtx »

The CHL law went into effect Sept 1 1995, didnt it?
Proud College Student/VP of the College Republicans/Iraq war Veteran

Douva

Post by Douva »

getusumtx wrote:The CHL law went into effect Sept 1 1995, didnt it?
They began taking applications on September 1, 1995, but they didn't start issuing licenses until January 1, 1996.

Douva

Post by Douva »

Here are a couple more op-eds from the University of North Texas student newspaper:

An opposing op-ed that appeared Tuesday, March 10 - http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/stor ... 6657.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A rebuttal to the opposing op-ed, that appeared Wednesday, March 11 - http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/stor ... 8018.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Would this bill prevent a university from having a "no handguns honor code" type rule, where you could be expelled, but not arrested?
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

nitrogen wrote:Would this bill prevent a university from having a "no handguns honor code" type rule, where you could be expelled, but not arrested?
I'm pretty sure that would still be a "rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution."

Douva

Post by Douva »

KD5NRH wrote:
nitrogen wrote:Would this bill prevent a university from having a "no handguns honor code" type rule, where you could be expelled, but not arrested?
I'm pretty sure that would still be a "rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution."
Here is the exact text pertaining to what institutions of higher education could/couldn't regulate:
(c) An institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education in this state may not adopt any rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution.

(d) An institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education in this state may establish rules, regulations, or other provisions concerning the storage of handguns in dormitories or other residential buildings that are owned or operated by the institution and located on the campus of the institution.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”