Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Conagher
Posts in topic: 1

H.B. No. 3684 Open Carry

Post by Conagher »

Charles,

Could you please amend this bill by deleting the word "and" and replacing it with "or" in section (e) (1)? :tiphat:

Any concerns with this bill?

Thanks & Have a NIce Day!

Conagher

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: H.B. No. 3684 Open Carry

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Conagher wrote:Charles,

Could you please amend this bill by deleting the word "and" and replacing it with "or" in section (e) (1)? :tiphat:
That would be a better way of doing it than OpenCarry.org's proposed bill!
Conagher wrote:Any concerns with this bill?
I think it's a good bill, except for the fact being disabled is a "defense to prosecution" rather than an exception. It's also pretty vague as to when "the person’s disability prevents the person from effectively concealing the handgun." If simply having any place to hide the gun would mean the person had to conceal it, no matter how inconvenient or slow to access, then there would be no real change in the law. If the standard is more along the lines of judging whether proper concealment would deny the disabled person quick and ready access to their handgun, then that would be fine in my view.

I suspect you may be asking for my opinion on any backlash and I wouldn't expect to see any. There will be very few, if any, disabled people that would likely fit into this new category, so very few people would be openly carrying. Also, I seriously doubt anyone would be fearful of someone in a wheelchair with a gun.

Chas.

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”