Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Quick question on Bill No.: HB3777

Post by nitrogen »

Quick question:
Would the creation of a "permanant" chl ruin EVERYONE's use of a CHL in lieu of a NICS check? I had someone tell me this today, and it didn't sound quite right.

I'm assuming that the perm. CHL would not be good for a NICS check due to the requirement for expiry.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Mike1951

Re: Quick question on Bill No.: HB3777

Post by Mike1951 »

For the NICS exemption, the background check must be done at least every 5 years,
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

will381796
Posts in topic: 2

Post by will381796 »

Yeah, the CHL needs to have an expiration date of no more than 5 years to provide the NICS exemption.

The question I have is, do the benefits of never having to renew your CHL and go through that waiting game again outweight the minor inconvenience of the NICS check? I would gladly wait the extra 15 mins for them to run my NICS check each time I get a gun if I didn't have to pay another renewal fee again...
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Offer both types of CHL and let the buyer make their choice?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

will381796 wrote: I would gladly wait the extra 15 mins for them to run my NICS check each time I get a gun if I didn't have to pay another renewal fee again...
I have to agree.....but I would worry about reciprocity being affected.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

will381796

Post by will381796 »

I don't know the answer to this: do any other states currently provide or offer a non-expiring CHL? If so, did it have an effect on TX's reciprocity with that state?
NRA Life Member
TRSA Life Member

CHL Class:11/22/08
App Submitted : 11/23/08
Received PIN:11/27/08
"Processing Application":12/13/08
Notified of TR100 error by CHL instructor: 12/23/08
Sent updated TR100 to DPS: 12/26/08
"Application Completed": 02/07/09
Plastic in hand:02/13/09

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Indiana has a lifetime concealed-carry license.

It's also possible that licenses from some of the may-issue states like California don't have a fixed expiration date. I don't know.

Whether having a Texas lifetime license would affect reciprocity is anyone's guess. Many states' laws say that reciprocity can be granted to license holders in a state with substantially the same laws. It's up to state officials to decide what that means.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

seamusTX wrote:Indiana has a lifetime concealed-carry license.

It's also possible that licenses from some of the may-issue states like California don't have a fixed expiration date. I don't know.

Whether having a Texas lifetime license would affect reciprocity is anyone's guess. Many states' laws say that reciprocity can be granted to license holders in a state with substantially the same laws. It's up to state officials to decide what that means.

- Jim
I guess what bothers me is that we don't understand the repercussions of this thing, will our legislators? I suppose there is still time for all this to happen.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

seamusTX wrote:It's also possible that licenses from some of the may-issue states like California don't have a fixed expiration date. I don't know. - Jim
California CCW permits are issued by the county so there is no statewide law on the length of the permit. Orange county permits are valid for only two years. :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If HB3777 passes, and I hope it does, then the Permanent CHL will not be NICS exempt, but the renewable CHL will retain its NICS exemption.
Reciprocity or other recognition of a Texas CHL is less certain, but it is likely that there will be either no effect, or only the Permanent CHL will not be accepted by certain states.

Chas.

tornado

Post by tornado »

I'm not 100% clear on why we might lose reciprocity with some states. I get that most states require "substantially the same laws" so adding states could be problematic.

But since (as I understand it from things I've read) Texas has pretty much the most stringent requirements AND (as I believe, but don't have anything to back this up) that anything that would be really bad on a background check would get your license revoked, what's the problem with states that already recognize us?

EDIT: Other than the fact that their Gov/AG/whoever might be flaky. :)

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

If one state's law says that another state's license must have a renewal period of five years or less, the lifetime CHL would not meet that requirement. The AG or other appropriate official of that state might issue a clarification that Texas renewable licenses have reciprocity, but lifetime licenses do not.

Your last comment pretty much sums up the other possibilities.

After all this time, I think Texas has all the reciprocity that it's going to get. Some states will never offer reciprocity, and some are blocked because Texas can issue a license to 18- to 20-year-old active-duty military personnel.

- Jim

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”