Is campus carry dead?

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Is campus carry dead?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

BigBlueDodge wrote:Campus concealed carry is still very much alive. However, without support from us it could die a quiet death and never make it to the floor. I strongly urge everyone on this forum to read this thread

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 92&t=24501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and call the senators and house members to ask for their support. I called everyone and it literally took between 2-3 minutes each. Unless you call, a Senator has to make assumptions on what their constituents think about the bill which may be completely different than the true feelings of the constituents. Let these individuals know what you feel. Even if you are not part of their constituency, they need to know what the people of Texas are feeling in general.
This is absolutely correct. If there isn't significant pressure on Chairman Duncan, SB1164 will not get a vote in committee. HB1893 (House version) will if/when it passes the House, but there is no reason not to push both bills. Especially since the House Calendars Committee hasn't set HB1893 for floor debate yet and May 11th is rapidly approaching.

Please act now! Call the House Calendars Committee members and respectfully ask that HB1893 be scheduled for floor debate before it's too late; call the members of the Senate State Affairs Committee(especially Chairman Duncan) and request a vote on SB1164 so it can be voted by the full Senate before time runs out.

This is crunch time folks; please don't assume everyone else will call and that your voice won't make a difference. As NRA/TSRA representatives, we have been and still are doing everything we can on our end, but we need a groundswell of support from everyone, or this bill will die without anyone having to register a vote against it.

Those of you who have been here a while know I don't cry wolf and I don't call for action unnecessarily. When I put out an action item, you can bet 1) it's necessary; and 2) the timing is right, often critical. If you want campus-carry to have a chance of passage, then please get involved.

Thanks,
Chas.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

More than half the effort of calling them is finding the phone number. Here's the list I put together, save you the trouble if you haven't called yet. I haven't called thru the entire list yet, maybe a typo here and there I haven't caught yet.

All Capitol legislative numbers are prefaced with 512-463-. Just add the four digits below.

House Committee on Calendars
Chair: Rep. Brian McCall 0594
Vice Chair: Rep. Eddie Lucio III 0606
Members:
Rep. Norma Chavez 0622
Rep. Garnet Coleman 0524
Rep. Byron Cook 0730
Rep. Brandon Creighton 0726
Rep. Charlie Geren 0610
Rep. Jim Keffer 0656
Rep. Lois W. Kolkhorst 0600
Rep. Edmund Kuempel 0602
Rep. Jim McReynolds 0490
Rep. Allan Ritter 0706
Rep. Burt R. Solomons 0478

Senate Committee on State Affairs
Chair: Sen. Robert Duncan 0128
Vice Chair: Sen. Bob Deuell 0102
Members:
Sen. John Carona 0116
Sen. Rodney Ellis 0113
Sen. Troy Fraser 0124
Sen. Chris Harris 0109
Sen. Mike Jackson 0111
Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. 0127
Sen. Leticia Van de Putte 0126
USAF 1982-2005

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Thanks for posting that ELB. I know what I'll be doing on my lunch break tomorrow.
NRA lifetime member

Douva
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Douva »

If you talk to a staffer who doesn't seem to know the facts of the bill (i.e., who would be affected), you can always point him or her to the "Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Handbook: Texas Edition." The address is really easy to remember:

http://www.StudentsForConcealedCarryOnCampus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (links directly to a PDF of the handbook).

The handbook was updated earlier this week.

If you want to order a professionally printed/bound copy of the handbook, you can do so here:

http://www.cafepress.com/lasttshirts.322143673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Scott

PS. If you web browser has trouble displaying PDF files, you can view the handbook as a Flash document here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11922308/SCCC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... as-Edition

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KD5NRH »

Calendars Committee contacted.

Is there anything more up-to-date than the TLO site for this information? At the rate that thing gets updated sometimes, I'm surprised to not see the Mexican Constitution of 1824 as "pending in committee." Every time I contact legislators on something based on the information there, I'm half expecting to hear that they acted on it a week ago.

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

Called the House members, now on to the Senate, hopefully it's not too late!

*Edit* Senate Called!
Steve

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is an update on campus-carry. Significantly, the Monday, May 11th deadline isn't for passing the House, it is for bills to be reported out of committee and "received" in the House Calendars Committee. The Calendars Committee then has only three days (May 14th) to set a bill on the House calendar, or it's dead. There are other deadlines that follow closely behind these.

Your calls and faxes, along with some very hard work by Alice Tripp, is paying off. When dealing with the legislature, I don't count anything as certain until it actually happens. However, the House campus-carry bill (HB1893) should be on the House calendar for Monday or Tuesday! Thanks for answering the call to action. It gave our friends in Austin the support they need to get this bill moving. Work is still on-going in the Senate to get SB1164 moving as well.

Getting legislation passed or killed truly is a team effort and you folks are a very big part of that team. I cannot overstate the absolute critical importance of the work that Alice Tripp has done and is still doing. I can't go into detail, but I can say that without her, both campus-carry and employer parking lots bills would have died in committee. Perhaps sometime after the session is over, I will be able to give at least some of the details of what she has done for all gun owners.

Chas.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Greybeard »

Chas - We appreciate the update. Lots of others too I'm sure checking this thread often. Let us know if and when we need to light 'em up again. And if ya see Alice in person, give her an extra hug from here. Thanks again. LW
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

Greybeard wrote:Chas - We appreciate the update. Lots of others too I'm sure checking this thread often. Let us know if and when we need to light 'em up again. And if ya see Alice in person, give her an extra hug from here. Thanks again. LW
+1 :iagree:

If there is anything more that I can do to help just say the word!
Steve

Vic303
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vic303 »

Charles, so exactly where DO we stand on the Parking Lot bill? Last I heard about it was back in March...do we need to start calling folks on that bill too?

--Vic

XDJoe

Post by XDJoe »

I just had my wife call members of both committees. She's a professor and fully support campus carry and her right to protect herself when she leaves campus often very late in the evening. One of the senators aides indicated that the State Affairs committee was waiting for this to get through he house before the senate committee would take further action. Anyone else get this same message?

Aric

Post by Aric »

XDJoe wrote:I just had my wife call members of both committees. She's a professor and fully support campus carry and her right to protect herself when she leaves campus often very late in the evening. One of the senators aides indicated that the State Affairs committee was waiting for this to get through he house before the senate committee would take further action. Anyone else get this same message?
Does your wife work at AC or WT?

As I am a student of AC

artx

Post by artx »

Scheduled for a house floor vote on Monday May 11!!!!!!!

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1893

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

:anamatedbanana
Steve

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

Now it is time to contact your rep (again) and ask that they support this bill. Faxes and emails over the weekend, calls Monday morning. Let them know that we are paying attention.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”