Reflections on the 2009 Texas Legislative Session

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

GaryAdrian
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Reflections on the 2009 Texas Legislative Session

Post by GaryAdrian »

This from our UH newspaper. Is this a true statement????
Perry shoots down gun bill
State Universities remain gun-free as debate over policy continues
Gov. Rick Perry vetoed the “Campus Gun Bill” on Monday, one day after the 81st Legislature came to a close.

Senate Bill 1164, which passed in both chambers of state congress, would have allowed concealed handguns on public university campuses except at sporting events and polling stations on election day.

I didn't ever hear this on the news. Is this correct??? :cryin http://www.thedailycougar.com/perry-sho ... -1.1759448
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

What garbage! SB1164 died in the House Calendars Committee. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=SB1164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Right after Virginia Tech happened, Gov. Perry responded by saying Texas CHLs should be able to carry their guns everywhere in the state.

This is amazing.

Chas.

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:What garbage! SB1164 died in the House Calendars Committee. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=SB1164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Right after Virginia Tech happened, Gov. Perry responded by saying Texas CHLs should be able to carry their guns everywhere in the state.

This is amazing.

Chas.
That's right! And this will spread to possible other pubs in the .edu domains.
If you can, write to editor@thedailycougar.com and explain the the information is incorrect before other Universities pick it up.
Maybe if everybody writes this will nip this in the bud before the liberal leaning Universities start touting this as a win.
I bet Mr. Perry won't like this. :grumble

I'd do it, but I work here. Free speech only goes so far here. :banghead:
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

GaryAdrian wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:What garbage! SB1164 died in the House Calendars Committee. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=SB1164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Right after Virginia Tech happened, Gov. Perry responded by saying Texas CHLs should be able to carry their guns everywhere in the state.

This is amazing.

Chas.
If you can, write to editor@thedailycougar.com and explain the the information is incorrect before other Universities pick it up.
Maybe if everybody writes this will nip this in the bud before the liberal leaning Universities start touting this as a win.

I've already passed this along to the Governor's Office.

Chas.

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mithras61 »

GaryAdrian wrote:

This is amazing.

Chas.

Surely even as an employee of the University, you can contact the editor and inform them of the mistaken information being published as fact. It isn't a political issue at this point so much as one of recorded facts. They claim a veto where none took place, and passage through the House which didn't happen. The remainder of the story needs to stand or fail as a story on its own merit, but the claims of fact should surely be allowed to be challenged if done politely. :tiphat:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Mithras61 wrote:
GaryAdrian wrote:

This is amazing.

Chas.

Surely even as an employee of the University, you can contact the editor and inform them of the mistaken information being published as fact. It isn't a political issue at this point so much as one of recorded facts. They claim a veto where none took place, and passage through the House which didn't happen. The remainder of the story needs to stand or fail as a story on its own merit, but the claims of fact should surely be allowed to be challenged if done politely. :tiphat:
The editor has been contacted and she was less than happy. Actually, I'm told she was pretty nasty.

Chas.

Douva

Post by Douva »

GaryAdrian wrote:Maybe if everybody writes this will nip this in the bud before the liberal leaning Universities start touting this as a win.
Speaking of claiming a win, anyone who hasn't seen this should definitely check it out:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/ ... er-of-fail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joe817
Posts in topic: 5

Post by joe817 »

I was in the process of blogging in The Daily Couger, demanding full retraction, and getting the records straight.

When I hit the submit button, "object could not be found". They've already removed the article. It's not there anymore, but it was 5 minutes ago. Wow! This was so embarrassing to them they could not even print a retraction. Some journalism, IMO.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I'll say one thing for them, they sure cover their tracks quickly!!!

http://www.thedailycougar.com/campus-re ... -1.1759830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But they STILL have it wrong. "Senate Bill 1164, which passed in both chambers of state congress, would have allowed concealed handguns on public university campuses except at sporting events and polling stations on election day."
Last edited by joe817 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Douva

Post by Douva »

joe817 wrote:I was in the process of blogging in The Daily Couger, demanding full retraction, and getting the records straight.

When I hit the submit button, "object could not be found". They've already removed the article. It's not there anymore, but it was 5 minutes ago. Wow! This was so embarrassing to them they could not even print a retraction. Some journalism, IMO.
Pulling the article from the website was the right thing to do because removing it prevents other news organizations from picking up the misinformation. It doesn't mean they won't print a retraction.

I just got a response from Matt Miller, editor-in-chief of the The Daily Cougar, and his exact words were, "I'm the biggest idiot in the world," so I think it's safe to say they're assuming responsibility for their mistake.

Douva

Post by Douva »

joe817 wrote:I'll say one thing for them, they sure cover their tracks quickly!!!

http://www.thedailycougar.com/campus-re ... -1.1759830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, but they still don't have their facts straight. The article still says, "Senate Bill 1164, which passed in both chambers of state congress [emphasis added]".

joe817

Post by joe817 »

They must be really scrambling because it's not accepting my comments. I give up. :totap:

Thanks Douva!
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Douva wrote:I just got a response from Matt Miller, editor-in-chief of the The Daily Cougar, and his exact words were, "I'm the biggest idiot in the world," so I think it's safe to say they're assuming responsibility for their mistake.
Email him again and tell him he's still an idiot! :lol: SB1164 did not pass the House, it passed the Senate and died in the House Calendar's Committee.

Chas.

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

Way da Go! Thanks guys.
I didn't want to do it because I'm in that paper from time to time on computer support questions and a lot of the campus knows me. I just wasn't comfortable.
Thank you guys for emailing them.
BTW, they forever misquote me when every they interview me. Not bad, but just enough. :totap:
NRA Life Member

shootthesheet
Posts in topic: 1

Post by shootthesheet »

Thank you for your hard work.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “2009 Texas Legislative Session”