Nobody but Corey Booker

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#16

Post by Flightmare » Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Jago668 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:52 pm
philip964 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... l-license/

Wants to be President.

Executive order to make every gun owner get a federal license.

I’m reminded of the first Red Dawn movie. “ Comrade Commander go to the federal office in town, search the gun licenses and round up those citizens first “ It was something like that.
Yeah he tells the guy to go get the 4473's from the gun stores.
Sorry, sold mine to a guy awhile back. Didn't get his name. He was in kind of a hurry. Something about going fishing on his boat.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

Grumpy1993
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#17

Post by Grumpy1993 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Flightmare wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 pm
Jago668 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:52 pm
philip964 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... l-license/

Wants to be President.

Executive order to make every gun owner get a federal license.

I’m reminded of the first Red Dawn movie. “ Comrade Commander go to the federal office in town, search the gun licenses and round up those citizens first “ It was something like that.
Yeah he tells the guy to go get the 4473's from the gun stores.
Sorry, sold mine to a guy awhile back. Didn't get his name. He was in kind of a hurry. Something about going fishing on his boat.
Cool story, comrade. Go line up against the wall as an example for the others.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died


BSHII
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#18

Post by BSHII » Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am

anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#19

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu May 16, 2019 6:00 pm

BSHII wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
I must have missed the chapter in Government class on Executive powers. You win. I can see common core is paying big dividends.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin


tarbe
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#20

Post by tarbe » Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 pm

BSHII wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
Think about this for a second.

There is an Executive Branch, and a Legislative Branch (leaving out the Judiciary here).

One is Legislative (they pass laws) and the other is an Executor.

What part of an Executive Order do you think the Legislative Branch would be involved in?
Semper Fi!


Don T
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Dallas area

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#21

Post by Don T » Thu May 16, 2019 7:15 pm

It would be more accurate to say that the legislative branch is supposed to make laws, and the executive branch is supposed to execute the laws (that is, carry out or enforce laws).

Does the executive order make a new law? If so, has the legislature granted authority to make regulations or otherwise carry out a law passed by the legislature?

That is where the tension arises with executive orders. Is the president executing laws or making them,


BSHII
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#22

Post by BSHII » Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:00 pm
BSHII wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
I must have missed the chapter in Government class on Executive powers. You win. I can see common core is paying big dividends.
I'm a little old for common core, but I do remember learning about separation of powers, even before I went to law school. The President doesn't have the power to make law, except where that power is delegated by Congress.


BSHII
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#23

Post by BSHII » Mon May 20, 2019 12:17 pm

tarbe wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 pm
BSHII wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
Think about this for a second.

There is an Executive Branch, and a Legislative Branch (leaving out the Judiciary here).

One is Legislative (they pass laws) and the other is an Executor.

What part of an Executive Order do you think the Legislative Branch would be involved in?
The legislative branch would be involved in passing the laws that the executive branch is executing with its executive order. The President is not a king and does not just get to make law through executive orders. The executive branch only has what legislative power that is delegated to it by Congress. Booker's proposed executive order is not authorized by any law passed by Congress--it would in fact be contrary to law--and would be unconstitutional on that basis alone.

Look up the Steel Seizure Cases, where Truman thought he could do as he pleased through executive fiat, and had his chain duly jerked by the Supreme Court.

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#24

Post by anygunanywhere » Mon May 20, 2019 12:35 pm

BSHII wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm
anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:00 pm
BSHII wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
I must have missed the chapter in Government class on Executive powers. You win. I can see common core is paying big dividends.
I'm a little old for common core, but I do remember learning about separation of powers, even before I went to law school. The President doesn't have the power to make law, except where that power is delegated by Congress.
This thread is about Spartacus Booker's statement to use ececutive orders regarding firearms owners, not discussing one's in depth knowledge of the separation of powers.
philip964 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... l-license/

Wants to be President.

Executive order to make every gun owner get a federal license.


I’m reminded of the first Red Dawn movie. “ Comrade Commander go to the federal office in town, search the gun licenses and round up those citizens first “ It was something like that.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#25

Post by anygunanywhere » Mon May 20, 2019 12:38 pm

BSHII wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:17 pm
tarbe wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 pm
BSHII wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
Think about this for a second.

There is an Executive Branch, and a Legislative Branch (leaving out the Judiciary here).

One is Legislative (they pass laws) and the other is an Executor.

What part of an Executive Order do you think the Legislative Branch would be involved in?
The legislative branch would be involved in passing the laws that the executive branch is executing with its executive order. The President is not a king and does not just get to make law through executive orders. The executive branch only has what legislative power that is delegated to it by Congress. Booker's proposed executive order is not authorized by any law passed by Congress--it would in fact be contrary to law--and would be unconstitutional on that basis alone.

Look up the Steel Seizure Cases, where Truman thought he could do as he pleased through executive fiat, and had his chain duly jerked by the Supreme Court.
It is highly unlikely that any executive order by any communist president would be shot down as unconstitutional. Just ask Roberts. That is the reality, not what the constitution states. If communists followed the constitution they would not be called communists.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin


BSHII
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#26

Post by BSHII » Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:35 pm
BSHII wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm
anygunanywhere wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:00 pm
BSHII wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 am
anygunanywhere wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 pm
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
Congress doesn't issue/authorize executive orders. The president does.
Yes, but he generally needs some Congressional authorization to issue executive orders that affect the general public. I know the lines have been blurred but the legislative power still lies with Congress, not the President.
I must have missed the chapter in Government class on Executive powers. You win. I can see common core is paying big dividends.
I'm a little old for common core, but I do remember learning about separation of powers, even before I went to law school. The President doesn't have the power to make law, except where that power is delegated by Congress.
This thread is about Spartacus Booker's statement to use ececutive orders regarding firearms owners, not discussing one's in depth knowledge of the separation of powers.
philip964 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... l-license/

Wants to be President.

Executive order to make every gun owner get a federal license.


I’m reminded of the first Red Dawn movie. “ Comrade Commander go to the federal office in town, search the gun licenses and round up those citizens first “ It was something like that.
I agree. I'm not sure why you turned the discussion in that direction.

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 7231
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#27

Post by anygunanywhere » Mon May 20, 2019 4:30 pm

BSHII wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm
anygunanywhere wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:35 pm


This thread is about Spartacus Booker's statement to use ececutive orders regarding firearms owners, not discussing one's in depth knowledge of the separation of powers.
I agree. I'm not sure why you turned the discussion in that direction.
I'm not really certain you know what you are posting. You are the one who brought up Congress.
BSHII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Even leaving the Second Amendment aside, when does he imagine Congress authorized such an executive order? Or does he think it is just open season after Trump's bump stock ban?
No other poster said anything about Congress or the legislative branch before you did so how is it that you post that I sent the thread in that direction?
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#28

Post by KLB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:11 am

Last night, at the first Democratic candidate debate for the 2020 campaign, Sen. Cory Booker (D–N.J.) . . . said, "If you need a license to drive a car, you should need a license to buy and own a firearm. And not everybody in this field agrees with that, but in states like Connecticut that did that, they saw 40 percent drops in gun violence and 15 percent drops in suicides."

Booker is wrong (even if we kindly translate his looser "violence" into the study's actual focus on homicides) and so is the study that gave him that 40 percent figure. The study, as I previously explained, "purports to show that a 1995 tightening in Connecticut's gun permit laws led to a 40 percent reduction in gun homicides over the next decade," resulting in "nearly 300 fewer gun homicides."
https://reason.com/2019/06/27/no-cory-b ... 0-percent/

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9090
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Nobody but Corey Booker

#29

Post by Beiruty » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:51 am

Wow, I am shocked to see the low IQ he has.

How in the world, a sane person who is willing to go suicidal would be stopped by a Federal paper?
How many suicidal shooters had legal access to guns including a background check and a state license too?
How in the world gangs would comply with the new measure?
Did it ever help?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”