Texas Senator John Cornyn open to finding "Common Ground" on gun control.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Texas Senator John Cornyn open to finding "Common Ground" on gun control.

Post by Chemist45 »

The article is from Politico, but they actually quote Senator Cornyn.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/2 ... rol-483343

You can contact the senator here:
https://www.johncornyn.com/contact/

Here is what I wrote:
No new gun control.
An article in Politico quotes you as saying you are willing "to see where we can find common ground.” on gun control.
There is no common ground.
There are no laws that will prevent criminals from using guns to commit crimes.
I worked to get you re-elected.
Texas gun owners worked to get you re-elected.
We have a simple request:
No more gun control.

Middle Age Russ

Re: Texas Senator John Cornyn open to finding "Common Ground" on gun control.

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Just submitted this to the Senator's contact site.

"Common ground on Gun Control" comments by the Senator as quoted by Politico...

Senator, individual Liberty and human Rights are ideals that led to the founding of this nation as a Republic. There is NEVER a time to set these aside, even when less-principled individuals call for "public safety" measures -- measures which cannot and will not change human hearts and behaviors that lead to violence, even violence employing firearms. Humans are flawed, and Governments only compound the flaws when they stray from the ideals and principles of individual Liberty and Rights and strictly limited Government. A Government that tramples on individual (including my) Rights no longer recognizes the correct relationship between a free People and Government.

Statists, Globalists, Progressives, or whatever else you label them, will ALWAYS be calling for more "gun control" -- it suits their ends to subjugating the People under the oppressive weight of an all-controlling Government. They NEED to control guns to eliminate effective defense against their ends. Those who truly value individual Liberty and limited Government CANNOT heed these calls and remain true to their values and principles.

I, for one, believe that the American experiment in self-rule -- rooted in ideals and continuous improvement toward those ideals -- is worth preserving (and restoring, given how the Left has perverted things over the years). I urge you to keep the Founding principles close to your heart and mind and remember the counsel of those men. Uphold individual Liberty and Rights. Resist the Leftist juggernaut from a clear foundation of ideals and principles. Sacrifice NOTHING on the altar of "gun control".

Over the years, calls for compromise have been anything but -- the Left asks for draconian measures and then "compromises" for less while the rights of gun owners (and would-be gun owners) are limited, infringed on. This is not compromise; it is a strategy called incrementalism. It is also a clear infringement of Constitutionally-recognized individual Rights. Where the other side does not deal in good faith, there is no principled reason to deal at all. I, and the millions of other gun owners in this land who've seen our Rights trampled again and again at the altar of Goverment assurance of supposed public safety, strongly urge you to resist the "gun control" siren song.

Respectfully Yours,

Russ
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

MaduroBU

Re: Texas Senator John Cornyn open to finding "Common Ground" on gun control.

Post by MaduroBU »

I'm open to a bill that keeps mental defectives from obtaining firearms. The issue is that literally nobody is "Adjudicated mentally defective" any more, such that a kid booted out of school for being essentially feral still doesn't meet that definition.

A national, public and searchable registry of prohibited persons, penalties for selling to anyone on it, and strong language that anyone can refuse to sell a gun to anyone else for any reason would solve 95% of the "gun show loophole" without recourse to limiting the rights of legal gun owners. The rest of the issue is gun trafficking, which is an issue of poor enforcement. The Democrats do not want those solutions because their aim is registration and confiscation, and those proposals do nothing to help with either.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”