Xiden announces zero tolerance policy towards gun dealers

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Xiden announces zero tolerance policy towards gun dealers

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/poli ... n-dealers/

This is the root cause of the rise in violence during his watch, gun dealers violating the law.

oohrah

Re: Xiden announces zero tolerance policy towards gun dealers

Post by oohrah »

We have enough of a PR problem with the misinformation about the ease of obtaining a firearm. FFLs who intentionally skirt the regs or don't follow the rules only hurt us with the "see, I told you so ..." mentality. This is a good thing.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

What scares me about any "zero tolerance" rule is that it can be carried to extremes. A dealer who knowingly falsifies information, knowingly sells to a prohibited person, fails to perform required NICS checks, or fails to keep required records should lose their license. My fear is (particularly if Chipman is confirmed) is that a dealer who accidentally makes a minor administrative mistake on a 4473 or some other minor error will also lose their license. I see this a potentially a back-door way of reducing the number of dealers
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 am What scares me about any "zero tolerance" rule is that it can be carried to extremes. A dealer who knowingly falsifies information, knowingly sells to a prohibited person, fails to perform required NICS checks, or fails to keep required records should lose their license. My fear is (particularly if Chipman is confirmed) is that a dealer who accidentally makes a minor administrative mistake on a 4473 or some other minor error will also lose their license. I see this a potentially a back-door way of reducing the number of dealers
:iagree:

And the likely fallout will be some FFL's deciding that the cost/benefit doesn't make sense so they close, causing FFL fees to increase (supply/demand), and those remaining in business will become hyper vigilant, so expect some to require NICS checks on everyone (including LTC's) "just to be safe", and longer delays while the manager in charge personally completes all paperwork, etc.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 am What scares me about any "zero tolerance" rule is that it can be carried to extremes. A dealer who knowingly falsifies information, knowingly sells to a prohibited person, fails to perform required NICS checks, or fails to keep required records should lose their license. My fear is (particularly if Chipman is confirmed) is that a dealer who accidentally makes a minor administrative mistake on a 4473 or some other minor error will also lose their license. I see this a potentially a back-door way of reducing the number of dealers
I'm all for punishing FFL's who skirt the laws, but having gone through audits back in the late 60's and early 70's after the GCA of '68 I can guarantee over zealous agents will do everything in their power to shutdown legitimate dealers who make minor errors. Using rising crime rates created by liberals ignoring, promoting and legitimizing left wing crimes and violence to "solve" what they begat.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

puma guy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 am
I'm all for punishing FFL's who skirt the laws, but having gone through audits back in the late 60's and early 70's after the GCA of '68 I can guarantee over zealous agents will do everything in their power to shutdown legitimate dealers who make minor errors. Using rising crime rates created by liberals ignoring, promoting and legitimizing left wing crimes and violence to "solve" what they begat.
Yes, sir, that was one of the things that got the much-maligned, but much needed, Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 passed. People LOVE to slam the FOPA86 because of the infamous "Hughes Amendment" which closed the machinegun registry, but never want to talk about all the good stuff in that bill, like relief for FFLs on things such as minor paperwork errors. Some folks just seem too ignorant about who Hughes (leftist Democrat) was and why he put that amendment in (to kill an otherwise good bill), and unwilling to learn. So, now we will have to repeat this process again. The Democrat DOJ will go back to their old tricks, and Republicans will have to pass a PROPER reform bill next time they take over...hopefully learning some lessons from the past.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:05 am
puma guy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 am
Yes, sir, that was one of the things that got the much-maligned, but much needed, Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 passed. People LOVE to slam the FOPA86 because of the infamous "Hughes Amendment" which closed the machinegun registry, but never want to talk about all the good stuff in that bill, like relief for FFLs on things such as minor paperwork errors. Some folks just seem too ignorant about who Hughes (leftist Democrat) was and why he put that amendment in (to kill an otherwise good bill), and unwilling to learn. So, now we will have to repeat this process again. The Democrat DOJ will go back to their old tricks, and Republicans will have to pass a PROPER reform bill next time they take over...hopefully learning some lessons from the past.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”