federal connection between marijuana and guns

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

federal connection between marijuana and guns

Post by J.R.@A&M »

This was news to me, with no direct implication (I don't use pot or other schedule 1 controlled substances). https://www.based-politics.com/2022/04/ ... amendment/
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Re: federal connection between marijuana and guns

Post by RoyGBiv »

Legalize it already. :iagree:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I'm not one to partake of it. But I do think it's way past time to end the prohibition and treat it like we do alcohol.

I didn't always have this view. I have a younger brother that threw away a very promising career because he felt that being drug tested for pot was the hill to die on. He was in charge of a very large crew building electric substations. He was being groomed for much bigger things, and the owner's son was part of his crew being groomed to replace my brother. The owner's son ended up getting hurt on the job. Came up hot on a test, and started whining "they all do it" when he was terminated per company policy. A mobile lab was brought out to the site to test all the employees. Several walked off the job. My brother was one of them. I don't know if he would have failed the test, but to him it wasn't about a pass or fail of the test. He felt they had no right to test him or his guys for things they did on their off time. So for many years I felt that it ruined peoples lives. But as I've gotten older, I've seen much worse happen in other people's lives for things that are legal. And I feel that it is the policy that was the cause of his setback. My brother has a great career now, just not what he would have had

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

the problem as i see it is. if its treated like alcohol...then driving just became even more dangerous.
DUI DWI are not caught or punished enough.

around here with the lake, we have lots of folks driving under influence, on the water and pulling a boat behind a vehicle. you can watch them stagger out of the boat and get behind the wheel. NEVER caught
so with pot, it will be same thing, stoned and not having to pee and kills me in a head on.
my folks got hit a few years back at 65 to 70 head one on a two lane road her, driver was asleep because she was so impaired. only my Gods grace did they not get killed. modern crash worthiness saved their lives. plus she had two babies in the car without car seats...she got zero tickets or jail
troopers said they didnt see her with kids n car...WHAT?? they were in the ambulance by time police arrived
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:41 pm the problem as i see it is. if its treated like alcohol...then driving just became even more dangerous.

around here with the lake, we have lots of folks driving under influence, on the water and pulling a boat behind a vehicle. you can watch them stagger out of the boat and get behind the wheel. NEVER caught
so with pot, it will be same thing, stoned and not having to pee and kills me in a head on.
my folks got hit a few years back at 65 to 70 head one on a two lane road her, driver was asleep because she was so impaired. only my Gods grace did they not get killed. modern crash worthiness saved their lives. plus she had two babies in the car without car seats...she got zero tickets or jail
troopers said they didnt see her with kids n car...WHAT?? they were in the ambulance by time police arrived

I don't see lack of enforcement of the law as reason to make other laws.

It is illegal to drive impaired. If that's alcohol, pot or even cough medicine.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I’ve been around since when the war on drugs started.

Doesn’t seem like we are winning.

Lots of lives ruined. Mexico destroyed. Money spent.

Many years ago lived in an area where grass was popular, my bosses smoked it on the way to meetings while driving.

Never smoked tobacco, so wasn’t about to smoke illegal grass.

Seen lives destroyed by cocaine addiction.

Always thought maybe drugs should be sold in a Government Drug Store like how alcohol is sold in some states.

Maybe have to watch a video before you buy. Counseling there if you need it. Drive all the drug dealers out of business. Reduce crime.

As the libertarians like, if you want to ruin your life and kill yourself, go right a head. It’s your life.

Tough problem.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:41 pm the problem as i see it is. if its treated like alcohol...then driving just became even more dangerous.

It is illegal to drive drunk. Imagine folks doing it anyway. Driving drunk being illegal did nothing to prevent your parents accident. Kind of like it is illegal to use a gun in a crime. Imagine folks doing it anyway. It is illegal to smoke pot. Imagine folks doing it anyway. There will be no sudden increase of people driving under the influence of pot, if legalized, any more than constitutional carry increases people being shot. Even in states that have totally legalized marijuana, the feds could come in at any time and prosecute growers and distributers under federal law. Many of the big growers and "dispensaries" could face 10 years and much more in prison under federal law.

I personally don't currently smoke marijuana. I smoked it when a much younger person. I don't consume alcohol anymore either. But I do feel it is way past time to get rid of antiquated federal laws against using marijuana. They should treat it just as they do alcohol. Same age limits and all. Same penalties for driving under the influence. In my 61 years of life I have yet to see or hear about a person high on pot losing their temper and beating their wife, kids or some other innocent person. Yet every day there are hundreds of beatings from people consuming alcohol.

The other fallacy is that marijuana is somehow a "gateway drug". More propaganda from those who have no idea of what they speak. If anything is a gateway drug, it is alcohol. I was sneaking liquor out from under friends family liquor cabinets way before smoking pot. I have known many folks who never smoked pot but started taking pain killers from an injury and before they knew it were sitting in rehab trying to break the addiction. Would this qualify pain medication as a gateway drug. There are many folks who won't smoke pot but start doing coke. Two different drugs, two completely different affects.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

Legalizing pot will not remove the cartel's hold on the industry. Google what the legal growers in CA and CO have gone through with the cartels.

ETA: I'm still working so I get drug tested. It annoys me to no end that the lazy welfare orcs suck up all the free bennies but don't have to get tested. I sympathize with the prior poster's story about his brother.

When I get tired of working AND it is legal I just might do a spliff every now and then.
Last edited by anygunanywhere on Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

03Lightningrocks

clarionite wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:48 pm

It is illegal to drive under the influence of any drug that creates intoxication or impaired reactions. Yet every day folks drive while taking prescription pain killers, prescription anti anxiety drugs and so on. It plainly states on the label to not operate machinery while taking many prescription drugs. People think because they have a prescription they are exempt from prosecution. They are very very wrong.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:48 pm
clarionite wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:48 pm

It is illegal to drive under the influence of any drug that creates intoxication or impaired reactions. Yet every day folks drive while taking prescription pain killers, prescription anti anxiety drugs and so on. It plainly states on the label to not operate machinery while taking many prescription drugs. People think because they have a prescription they are exempt from prosecution. They are very very wrong.
I work security at an ER. We have to explain to folks they can't get the good stuff unless they've got somebody to drive them home. We have have a from for the driver to sign that goes into the patients record.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:18 pm The other fallacy is that marijuana is somehow a "gateway drug". More propaganda from those who have no idea of what they speak. If anything is a gateway drug, it is alcohol. I was sneaking liquor out from under friends family liquor cabinets way before smoking pot. I have known many folks who never smoked pot but started taking pain killers from an injury and before they knew it were sitting in rehab trying to break the addiction. Would this qualify pain medication as a gateway drug. There are many folks who won't smoke pot but start doing coke. Two different drugs, two completely different affects.
It actually is a gateway... But not due to the drug itself. Because it's illegal, you end up being in circles that normalize the rest of the drugs too. Putting Pot into the same classification as Heroin, Crack, Fentanyl... It's crazy. If you bought a pack of joints like a pack of cigarettes at the liquor store I don't see it any different than buying a case of beer. Change ATF to ATS. Alcohol, Tobacco and Substances... Get them out of the Firearm business and let them deal with pot.

03Lightningrocks

clarionite wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:05 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:18 pm The other fallacy is that marijuana is somehow a "gateway drug". More propaganda from those who have no idea of what they speak. If anything is a gateway drug, it is alcohol. I was sneaking liquor out from under friends family liquor cabinets way before smoking pot. I have known many folks who never smoked pot but started taking pain killers from an injury and before they knew it were sitting in rehab trying to break the addiction. Would this qualify pain medication as a gateway drug. There are many folks who won't smoke pot but start doing coke. Two different drugs, two completely different affects.
It actually is a gateway... But not due to the drug itself. Because it's illegal, you end up being in circles that normalize the rest of the drugs too. Putting Pot into the same classification as Heroin, Crack, Fentanyl... It's crazy. If you bought a pack of joints like a pack of cigarettes at the liquor store I don't see it any different than buying a case of beer. Change ATF to ATS. Alcohol, Tobacco and Substances... Get them out of the Firearm business and let them deal with pot.
That is actually a good point. There is no doubt that buying illegal marijuana puts one in a circle of contacts that may offer other more dangerous substances. Another good reason to legalize it. Take the criminal element out of the purchasing process.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

03Lightningrocks

Reading that once again tells us all that government intrusion is to blame for illegal activity. The amount of fees and taxes imposed on the legal industry is absolutely ridiculous. No wonder there are problems. Government intrusion into pain medications created a devil far worse than the one we had from legal pain medications. Thanks to government, we now have illegal drugs on the rise such as heroin and fentanyl. If there is any possible way to make an unmitigated disaster of anything, the government can show us how.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

You are naive if you think that people will start driving high from marijuana when it is legalized. People have been driving high for decades. Then ther's driving with meth. It's a dangerous place out there.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”