Buffalo Shooter Exploited Strict Gun Laws

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Buffalo Shooter Exploited Strict Gun Laws

Post by Excaliber »

According to his manifesto, the Buffalo shooter allegedly chose his target site because of the strict gun laws in New York State and the City of Buffalo. He saw these as substantially reducing the risk that he would be stopped by an armed citizen. Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Buffalo Shooter Exploited Strict Gun Laws

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

A discussion of the Buffalo incident on one of the daytime shows (Morning Joe?) opined that this particular incident proves that "a good guy with a gun" is now a useless concept.

Well, the bad guy did have body armor and an AR, so the defending good guy was at a huge disadvantage, and the GG did not prevail. But he did engage the BG.

But if any GG on the scene of a shooting is armed, it ups the chances that the BG can be stopped.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:56 pm A discussion of the Buffalo incident on one of the daytime shows (Morning Joe?) opined that this particular incident proves that "a good guy with a gun" is now a useless concept.
I've seen that same thing on Quora. People are seemingly reveling at the security guards death. They almost seem happy that he died because they think it proves their point.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The guard was a hero.

The shooter described himself as a Communist in High School.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

philip964 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:31 pm The guard was a hero.

Yes, I wish he would have shot that evil monster in the head, but still, he undoubtedly slowed down the killing with his actions.

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The simple reality that armed good guys don't always win in real life doesn't negate the fact that they win a whole lot more often than unarmed victims.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Excaliber wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:20 am The simple reality that armed good guys don't always win in real life doesn't negate the fact that they win a whole lot more often than unarmed victims.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

parabelum wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 pm

Yes, I wish he would have shot that evil monster in the head, but still, he undoubtedly slowed down the killing with his actions.
They needed Jack Wilson to be the security guard. Head shots at moving targets are very rarely successful. Jack Wilson was highly trained. I am not so sure the security guard/retired policeman had the same talents.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:25 am
parabelum wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 pm

They needed Jack Wilson to be the security guard. Head shots at moving targets are very rarely successful. Jack Wilson was highly trained. I am not so sure the security guard/retired policeman had the same talents.
Good point. I’d add that I am in favor of a nice AR with a decent red dot such as eotech in those situations. And if pistol is the only option, I favor red dots when in the hpac (high probability of armed conflict) environment. Either way, if I worked armed security, the only way I’d do it is if I could sling my AR. Honorable effort by this guard, may he rest in piece.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”