Biden Making a Stealth Move to Restrict 5.56 Ammo?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Biden Making a Stealth Move to Restrict 5.56 Ammo?

Post by Rafe »

This from the NRA-ILA yesterday:

Treachery! White House Moves to Strangle U.S. Ammunition Supply
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2022061 ... ion-supply
Last night, news broke that the Biden Administration is taking behind-the-scenes steps to further strangle the already constricted market for ammunition in the United States. The move could result in a reduction of the commercial production of 5.56 caliber ammunition by over thirty percent.

The move, if completed, would dramatically reduce availability of ammunition for America’s most popular rifle (and, not coincidentally, the one most targeted by gun prohibitionists).

Supplies would undoubtedly plummet and prices would undoubtedly skyrocket, putting the availability of ammunition for self-defense, training, and competition out of reach to many Americans.

News of the move was broken by Larry Keane, the general counsel and senior vice president at the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the leading trade association for America’s firearms and ammunition industries. Keane on Wednesday night published a tweet, which stated: “The U.S. Military is actively considering shutting down the sale [of] M855/SS109 ammo from Lake City to the commercial market.”
Read more in the NRA-ILA article and at The Truth About Guns.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Biden Making a Stealth Move to Restrict 5.56 Ammo?

Post by Paladin »

Cold War 2.0/WW3 will divert a lot of resources away from civilians. This is only the beginning. Prepare accordingly
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

Paladin wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:38 am Cold War 2.0/WW3 will divert a lot of resources away from civilians. This is only the beginning. Prepare accordingly
Already have been and still adding to the stock.

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:38 am Cold War 2.0/WW3 will divert a lot of resources away from civilians. This is only the beginning. Prepare accordingly
I agree. I only wish that we had seen reasonable ammo prices at some points during the last three years. :???: I'd really like to have my supply of .308 up to somewhere near what I have in 5.56, but that ain't gonna happen. I have managed to buy some stripped lowers and AR parts, and have been adding to my magazine supplies. I'm good there, though what I do need to add to the safe is a Glock in 9mm, and then would need to buy at least a dozen "normal" capacity mags for same...and a few 33-rounders. I have Glocks in two other calibers, I've just never shot Gs as well as other formats, so never added a G17 or G19 (which I preach to others is something to consider as a basic in their preparedness kit because of such wide usage and availability).

From what I've read so far about the Lake City situation is that eliminating manufacture and sale to civilians would represent an approximate 30% reduction overall in 5.56 availability. I have no idea if the Lake City plant has begun tooling up to produce the new 6.8mm round for XM5/XM250 guns, and I don't know if closing off civilian manufacture will mean layoffs or budget cutbacks at Lake City until the 6.8mm start churning out...which I think will take a while. Army Brig. Gen. William M. Boruff said last April that SIG would initially manufacture the 6.8mm ammo, but that "the Army will eventually take over production of ammunition at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Missouri."

The world is laughing at the Biden administration and U.S. leadership; we've spent staggering trillions as a nation, have the highest inflation rates in 40 years and families can't even find baby formula; leftist DAs are releasing career criminals back on the streets with nothing but PR bonds; radical groups like Antifa and BLM seem to be free to riot and burn in the name of "peaceful protests; China is thinking about Taiwan every minute of every day; and "gun violence" is way up across the nation...but it isn't from the guns of law-abiding citizens.

So, yeah. The only time you can have too much ammo or too many magazines is when you go swimming.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Sadly, about 3 years ago I stopped adding to my stock due to other family needs. I still have most of that since I also haven't been shooting as much during the same past three years. I was hoping to begin continuing to increase stock and range time in another year or two. :grumble
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mayor

Post by mayor »

To be fair, I haven't heard anything from BLM or Antifa since brandon's insertion, but I haven't been looking either.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Sitting on a ton of 5.56 brass, waiting for primers. I had considered scrapping them, but now I think I'll keep 'em, and buy some boolits.
Still waiting of primers at a reasonable price, may just have to pay it.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

philip964

Post by philip964 »

One of my liberal anti gun Facebook friends posted this today.
Attachments
E0BAE523-6C6C-4977-995A-8C145C2973F3.jpeg

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:20 am One of my liberal anti gun Facebook friends posted this today.
I'm completely in favor of that. I control all my ammo carefully and keep it away from penetrating oils and in conditions that aren't too humid and aren't too hot. I also carefully control that no ammo is within 20 feet of me when I practice dryfire or clean my guns.

I suppose that's basically the same as the quotation attributed to Rick Perry years back: "I'm in favor of gun control. I always use two hands." But I couldn't resist...

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:20 am One of my liberal anti gun Facebook friends posted this today.
Leftists are the ones aborting kids, railing against laws to enforce honest elections, and generally seeking the destruction of our nation, culture, and civilization. They need our ammo to do it.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don’t have any antigun friends—liberal, conservative, or otherwise.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:04 pm
I don’t have any antigun friends—liberal, conservative, or otherwise.
:iagree: And if they are, they sure don't tell me they are.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”