N.Y., pass the well regulated militia act

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

N.Y., pass the well regulated militia act

Post by Paladin »

The Anti-gunners don't quite get it... but this is an attempt: N.Y., pass the well regulated militia act By Robert Diamond
So in response to the insanity of the Supreme Court’s latest decision, the New York State Legislature should convene and pass — and Gov. Hochul should sign — the Well Regulated Militia Act.

...I spent 11 years of my life around arms of all shapes and sizes; from 9mm handguns to Tomahawk Cruise Missiles. That’s because I was an officer in the United States Navy. Not a wannabe tough-guy who owns a pair of cargo pants, boots and a Black Rifle Coffee hat he bought online. No, I’m an actual combat veteran of the U.S. military. In fact, my title onboard the guided missile destroyer I served on for more than four years was weapons officer. So I know a little about what life in the well regulated militia should look like.

The well regulated militia will meet for muster at 6 a.m. every Saturday and Sunday. It will conduct routine physical fitness training and testing for all members. It will conduct regular firearms training and assessments. It will require members to adhere to personal grooming standards and wear uniforms when conducting official militia activities. It will report to the New York State commander-in-chief — the governor — and respond to all emergency tasking the commander-in-chief requires. Hurricanes, flooding, winter storms and pandemic response are all likely peacetime missions. Remember, this well regulated militia is necessary to the security of our free state. It says it right there in the Second Amendment.
:lol::

I'm bemused by this. Diamond is showing an serious lack of knowledge about what he writes. #1 NY already has a State Defense Force. Serving in the Federal Navy is not the same thing as a militia in the historical sense. Our militias originated from the Romans. The Roman militia were an Army who provided their own weapons and trained as a unit once per month. The Roman Navy was entirely different. Diamond's full time service onboard a Guided missile destroyer is a different animal than militia service.

Again, muster was generally once per month... manytimes less. There have always been 2 classes of militia... voluntary and compulsory. Voluntary militia are also know as "uniformed militia" because they provide their own uniforms (i.e. NY State Guard). The compulsory militia typically did not wear uniforms. The majority of militia members never had uniforms.

That said, despite Diamond's uninformed statements, a well regulated militia is indeed necessary to the security of our free state. So I would urge every state to create or expand their State Defense Forces. Militia are about 10 to 100 times more cost effective than the military we have now:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Re: N.Y., pass the well regulated militia act

Post by Rafe »

An interesting item to go along with that Peterson Foundation chart: https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.php.

That's Global Firepower's 2022 annual assessment and rankings of the 142 nations they monitor, and index score derived from, they say, "over 50 individual factors." Nuclear capability is not taken into account. I don't know when this was released, or if the Russian military's performance in Ukraine is included, but the U.S. is ranked 1st, Russia 2nd; and almost in a tie with Russia is China. But the relative "PwrIndx" scores certainly don't reflect a ratio of superiority equivalent to the relative spending.

We need to clean the unnecessary pork out of the military budget, zap spending for superfluous, political pet projects, and increase spending where it's really needed.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

A Navy guy conducting routine physical fitness training? What a joke!
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:26 pm A Navy guy conducting routine physical fitness training? What a joke!
He's not "a wannabe tough-guy" ... as an officer he spent 11 years "around" 9mm handguns! "rlol"
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

mayor

Post by mayor »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:18 pm The Anti-gunners don't quite get it... but this is an attempt: N.Y., pass the well regulated militia act By Robert Diamond
So in response to the insanity of the Supreme Court’s latest decision, the New York State Legislature should convene and pass — and Gov. Hochul should sign — the Well Regulated Militia Act.

...I spent 11 years of my life around arms of all shapes and sizes; from 9mm handguns to Tomahawk Cruise Missiles. That’s because I was an officer in the United States Navy. Not a wannabe tough-guy who owns a pair of cargo pants, boots and a Black Rifle Coffee hat he bought online. No, I’m an actual combat veteran of the U.S. military. In fact, my title onboard the guided missile destroyer I served on for more than four years was weapons officer. So I know a little about what life in the well regulated militia should look like.

The well regulated militia will meet for muster at 6 a.m. every Saturday and Sunday. It will conduct routine physical fitness training and testing for all members. It will conduct regular firearms training and assessments. It will require members to adhere to personal grooming standards and wear uniforms when conducting official militia activities. It will report to the New York State commander-in-chief — the governor — and respond to all emergency tasking the commander-in-chief requires. Hurricanes, flooding, winter storms and pandemic response are all likely peacetime missions. Remember, this well regulated militia is necessary to the security of our free state. It says it right there in the Second Amendment.

I'm bemused by this. Diamond is showing an serious lack of knowledge about what he writes. #1 NY already has a State Defense Force. Serving in the Federal Navy is not the same thing as a militia in the historical sense. Our militias originated from the Romans. The Roman militia were an Army who provided their own weapons and trained as a unit once per month. The Roman Navy was entirely different. Diamond's full time service onboard a Guided missile destroyer is a different animal than militia service.

Again, muster was generally once per month... manytimes less. There have always been 2 classes of militia... voluntary and compulsory. Voluntary militia are also know as "uniformed militia" because they provide their own uniforms (i.e. NY State Guard). The compulsory militia typically did not wear uniforms. The majority of militia members never had uniforms.

That said, despite Diamond's uninformed statements, a well regulated militia is indeed necessary to the security of our free state. So I would urge every state to create or expand their State Defense Forces. Militia are about 10 to 100 times more cost effective than the military we have now:

"I’m an actual combat veteran of the U.S. military." I call bull. He was in the navy. If he's a combat veteran, then so am I. I spent the final few months of the Vietnam conflict on an airbase in Arkansas.
Last edited by mayor on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Hey, I actually went to Vietnam so I think I'm as qualified as the author. However, I don't think I'll join his militia. Instead my buddies and I will form our own — thank you very much. Rather than meeting for calisthenics every Saturday at six Ayem, we'll meet once a month at ten at the shooting range before reconvening at a local Mexican restaurant to discuss strategy and tactics. He can do things his way, we'll do it our way. Is this a great country, or what?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

der Teufel wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:29 pm Hey, I actually went to Vietnam so I think I'm as qualified as the author. However, I don't think I'll join his militia. Instead my buddies and I will form our own — thank you very much. Rather than meeting for calisthenics every Saturday at six Ayem, we'll meet once a month at ten at the shooting range before reconvening at a local Mexican restaurant to discuss strategy and tactics. He can do things his way, we'll do it our way. Is this a great country, or what?
:cheers2:

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eyedoc »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 pm
oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:26 pm A Navy guy conducting routine physical fitness training? What a joke!
He's not "a wannabe tough-guy" ... as an officer he spent 11 years "around" 9mm handguns! "rlol"
Hey, those thinks will blow your lungs right out. :lol:

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eyedoc »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:18 pm The Anti-gunners don't quite get it... but this is an attempt: N.Y., pass the well regulated militia act By Robert Diamond

The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? are they not ourselves. Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American. What clause in the state or federal constitution hath given away that important right . . . . The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.”

Tench Coxe

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”