House Democrats’ ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban Prohibits Semiautomatic Pistols Too

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

This proposed ban is a power grab, plain and simple:

The ban applies to semiautomatic pistols with detachable magazines and threaded barrels. Because of the popularity of suppressors for hearing protection, nearly every semiautomatic pistol manufacturer makes pistol models with threaded barrels. This means an untold number of semiautomatic pistols would be banned by H.R. 1808.

Also, any semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine capable of holding more than ten rounds would be banned, as would any semiautomatic shotgun with a fixed magazine holding more than five rounds.
They would rather Americans be unarmed or at least less well armed so they can Terrorize us more easily

It's not like they are going to protect anyone against normal criminals either:
Critics say the policies of Soros-funded DAs, which have included abolishing bail and, in the case of Chicago, placing hundreds of violent criminals on electronic tracking systems, have led to a spike in crime throughout the country. According to the FBI’s annual Uniform Crime Report released in September, the country saw a 30 percent increase in homicides in 2020 — the largest single-year spike since they began recording crime statistics 60 years ago.
How George Soros funded progressive ‘legal arsonist’ DAs behind US crime surge
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: House Democrats’ ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban Prohibits Semiautomatic Pistols Too

Post by OneGun »

The ban will never be effective. How many of you will surrender your semi-auto pistol?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Jerry Nadler nuked this one in a recent committee debate by saying that they are “banning weapons in common use”. The three most recent supreme court cases involving the second amendment explicitly state that weapons in common use may not be restricted. It won’t pass the Senate, and even if it were, would be struck down by a higher court if not the supreme court, further solidifying the 2nd amendment. They are only shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 am Jerry Nadler nuked this one in a recent committee debate by saying that they are “banning weapons in common use”. The three most recent supreme court cases involving the second amendment explicitly state that weapons in common use may not be restricted. It won’t pass the Senate, and even if it were, would be struck down by a higher court if not the supreme court, further solidifying the 2nd amendment. They are only shooting themselves in the foot with this one.
I think they know that things aren't going to turn out so well for them this fall, and they are trying to shore up their base of voters with stunts like these. This way, they can go their fundraisers and say "We tried to push through some 'common sense gun safety laws' but the evil Republicans stopped us. We need you to help us stay in office and fight for this stuff". That kind of political garbage is stock-in-trade for the Democrat Party.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:23 am
jb2012 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 am Jerry Nadler nuked this one in a recent committee debate by saying that they are “banning weapons in common use”. The three most recent supreme court cases involving the second amendment explicitly state that weapons in common use may not be restricted. It won’t pass the Senate, and even if it were, would be struck down by a higher court if not the supreme court, further solidifying the 2nd amendment. They are only shooting themselves in the foot with this one.
I think they know that things aren't going to turn out so well for them this fall, and they are trying to shore up their base of voters with stunts like these. This way, they can go their fundraisers and say "We tried to push through some 'common sense gun safety laws' but the evil Republicans stopped us. We need you to help us stay in office and fight for this stuff". That kind of political garbage is stock-in-trade for the Democrat Party.
And, hopefully, that will start to backfire on them. See Paladin's post today noting that new firearm purchases are up a massive 44% for Blacks and African Americans, and up 40% for Hispanics. What the demwits have automatically assumed as being cornerstones of their "base" is shifting...because people aren't stupid. You start throwing rampant crime and lack of prosecution in their faces, and it gets personal real fast.

The dems are even trying to imply that the disproportionate, by percentage of population, number of firearm homicides among Blacks is somehow due to burgeoning numbers of invisible white supremacists committing hate crimes. But guess when the number of law-abiding Blacks buying guns started to spike dramatically?

The Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit organization that tracks conflict across the globe, documented 12,045 incidents of U.S. civil unrest from May 26, 2020, to September 5, 2020; 633 of those are coded as riots, included 47 fatalities, and occurred in 47 states causing well over $1.2 billion damage in pre-Biden-inflation dollars (probably equivalent to $1.32 billion now, less than just two years later). For those incidents where there is data about the participants' affiliation, BLM activists were involved in 95% of the riots.

It's about crime and lawlessness. It isn't about CRT or woke, radical left-wing politics. If someone hurts a family member or loots and burns down your business, you don't care if they're green or purple.

Remember Bill Clinton campaigning with the slogan, "It's the economy, stupid." Well, the far left have presented conservatives a plethora of campaign points that I hope they use well. "It's the terrible economy with inflation at a 40-year high; it's rampant crime with felons being released on low or no PR bond; it's open borders with tracked encounters (not counting unknowns and got-aways) for the past 9 months (1,746,119) exceeding the previous 12 months combined (the 12-month fiscal year 2020 totaled 458,088 by comparison); it's faulty management of international relations from Afghanistan to Ukraine to Saudi Arabia to Iran to China to North Korea; it's a literal war on U.S. energy that is steering us toward a 1970s-like energy crisis; and it's a feckless White House having the lowest approval ratings imaginable with almost 60% of all Americans specifically disapproving of the president; almost a third of his own party's registered voters think he sucks."

I think we should having something to work with there in the midterms.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Rafe wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:50 pm
I think we should having something to work with there in the midterms.
The commies know that they are in for a severe beating at the voting booths this mid term.

The election thievery is going to be huge.

If the commies are allowed to get away with it the same as 2020 then I will not be surprised if things get really nasty really quickly.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

What I think is most interesting about this is that as shown in 2000 Mules, True the Vote has data that indicates many of the individuals who were at violent riots in 2020 were also illegally casting votes for the Democrats .... Democrats who are currently pushing this "assault weapons" ban. These things are all connected. They are working hard to seize power by any and all means.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The NRA-ILA weighed in on last Wednesday's Judiciary Committee "work" on this bill:

Farcical “Assault Weapons” Ban Mark-up Showed Contempt for Facts, Law, and Dignity
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2022072 ... nd-dignity
The NRA-ILA wrote: Anyone wanting a case study of why a stunning 93% of Americans lack confidence in Congress need only have witnessed last Wednesday’s Judiciary Committee mark-up of H.R. 1808, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2021, which was voted out of the committee along partisan lines.

The House Judiciary Committee is charged with, among other things, “protecting Constitutional freedoms and civil liberties.” Wednesday’s proceedings, however, were a grotesque and ironic perversion of that mandate, as one anti-gun congressperson after another argued in favor of the largest gun ban in U.S. history, which would include the AR-15, the most popular rifle being sold in America today. In doing so, they ignored facts, history, and constitutional law. They also beclowned themselves with behavior that was beneath the dignity of their office, even given how far it has fallen in public esteem.
That's right there is my word-of-the-day: beclowned.
The NRA-ILA wrote: The ill-informed nature of the bill’s proponents was probably best captured when Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI), the bill’s author, attempted to explain how pistol stabilizing braces can be used to turn a firearm into an “automatic weapon.” The absurdness of this claim cannot be overstated, but it fully captures the vigorous ignorance many anti-gun lawmakers have about the very subject matter they claim to be qualified to regulate.
And vigorous ignorance ain't a bad runner-up for phrase-of-the-day.

Approach the video below with caution. Not only will you want to throw something at your screen after about 90 seconds of Jerry Nadler, but the thing runs almost 12 hours. Thank goodness, YouTube = we can jump ahead with a click.

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

seph

Post by seph »

It's not ignorance. It is outright lies intended to mislead their few supporters.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

mayor

Post by mayor »

Rafe wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:19 pm
The NRA-ILA wrote: The House Judiciary Committee ... beclowned themselves with behavior that was beneath the dignity of their office...
That's right there is my word-of-the-day: beclowned.

And vigorous ignorance ain't a bad runner-up for phrase-of-the-day.
Yep, I added that to my vocabular and acting with vigorous ignorance should be very painful.

i don't think vigorous ignorance is is their MO. It's wanton disregard of the Constitution and they don't care.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Back in 1959 Russian leader Nikita Khrushchev (First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union) said the way to topple the United States was from inside the US itself slowly but surely. It appears the culmination of his statement is nigh upon us with the party we have in charge now. Slowly our rights have been eroded while non-productive citizens and illegal aliens are awarded having been seduced by their govt. programs. In this fashion they keep their party in control thru votes while weaking the country as a whole.
When our guns are taken away so will our country be taken away. At my age of 70 years I don't worry about my future but the future of my children and grandchildren as to their quality of life in our country.
I pray that this does not come to pass but the writing is on the wall and not enough people can read it and be able do something to stop it.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Sidro wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:05 am Back in 1959 Russian leader Nikita Khrushchev (First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union) said the way to topple the United States was from inside the US itself slowly but surely. It appears the culmination of his statement is nigh upon us with the party we have in charge now. Slowly our rights have been eroded while non-productive citizens and illegal aliens are awarded having been seduced by their govt. programs. In this fashion they keep their party in control thru votes while weaking the country as a whole.
When our guns are taken away so will our country be taken away. At my age of 70 years I don't worry about my future but the future of my children and grandchildren as to their quality of life in our country.
I pray that this does not come to pass but the writing is on the wall and not enough people can read it and be able do something to stop it.
Highlight is mine.
I personally believe, MOST can read the handwriting on the wall but are simply UNWILLING to do anything about it. Complacency can be deadly.

:patriot: :txflag:

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Yep, it's true! They're coming for your guns.
Democrat Rep. David N "Spare Me The about Constitutional Rights" Cicilline and others have said the quiet part out loud: they want to ban almost all semi-automatic weapons in common use.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Obviously, this bill will have no legal validity even if it does pass the senate, since it clearly violates the constitution. It would be precisely as enforceable as a state law legalizing slavery, for example. I would say that any law enforcement officer (federal or state / local) who tried to enforce this law would by definition be acting unlawfully.

But the bigger question is whether the congress people who vote for this law will have committed an impeachable offense. And I'm including the President if he were to sign such a law. After all, each of these people should clearly know that they are voting for a law that is unconstitutional. To me this is a clear breach of their oaths of office. And since an "impeachable offense" is anything that congress says it is, this seems to be much more applicable than having a phone call with a foreign leader or encouraging people to peacefully march down to the Capitol to have their voices heard.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Everyone in Congress should read the decision in United States vs. Miller.
Charlie

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”